PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or take ages to gel with back 4
Or makes worse clangers than Rudd
Or becomes a Simpson-esque bad apple

If isn't broke (2nd in league), why fix it?
I really don't mind Rudd, but if we can get an upgrade then why not? I'm sure that people who buy a new house haven't necessarily left their old one because it is 'broke' - they just want an improvement.

Could always pick up Liverpool's 3rd/4th choice....Lonners!
I actually would take Lonners back. He's clearly done what he was brought in to do at Liverpool, and is now no longer needed. But Klopp was clearly quite impressed with him and he's an experienced head and a very underrated player (by PNE fans at least!)

I actually would take Lonners back. He's clearly done what he was brought in to do at Liverpool, and is now no longer needed. But Klopp was clearly quite impressed with him and he's an experienced head and a very underrated player (by PNE fans at least!)

He won't be coming here. 1) wages and 2) he's doing coaching at Liverpool.

Preston recruit similarly to Bristol City and Brentford in scouring the lower leagues for young and hungry talent, as well as finding homes for those with limited opportunities at Premier League clubs, such as Ben Pearson, who has excelled since joining from Manchester United. They are proactive and have already identified next summer’s transfer targets.

Or take ages to gel with back 4
Or makes worse clangers than Rudd
Or becomes a Simpson-esque bad apple

If isn't broke (2nd in league), why fix it?
Fair comment, but both Johnstone and Pickford hit the ground running. Like any other signing it can be a bit of a gamble, but, I think if we are to progress, an upgrade is required. Also, has anyone heard a ' Rudd to Rangers' rumour? Can't really see it myself.

Fair comment, but both Johnstone and Pickford hit the ground running. Like any other signing it can be a bit of a gamble, but, I think if we are to progress, an upgrade is required. Also, has anyone heard a ' Rudd to Rangers' rumour? Can't really see it myself.
I wish there was an edit/delete option. I've just seen the 'Rudd to Rangers' thread. Silly me. ?

With Rudd we perhaps need to acknowledge how lucky we've been to see keepers as good as the likes of Nash, Johnstone and most especially Pickford over the years.

Is he as bad as some like to claim? No. Could we do better? Possibly. Is it the best use of scarce funds? Possibly not.

He won't be coming here. 1) wages and 2) he's doing coaching at Liverpool.
Agree, I don't think he'd be coming back. But he was mentioned, and I would have have him back. But honestly...wages? How much could he possibly be on as a fourth choice emergency goalkeeper on a short term contract at a club he'd probably have jumped at the chance of joining for free? He was on loan at Rochdale in March...were they forking our 20k a week?

Agree, I don't think he'd be coming back. But he was mentioned, and I would have have him back. But honestly...wages? How much could he possibly be on as a fourth choice emergency goalkeeper on a short term contract at a club he'd probably have jumped at the chance of joining for free? He was on loan at Rochdale in March...were they forking our 20k a week?

I believe the figure you have mentioned is about right.

There is no chance on earth we would sell anyone big in January the way we a are playing and the people behind the scenes will know to at least keep them until the end of the season

There's no-one significantly saleable with a contract up in 2020 now Bodin has extended so hopefully you'll be right.

In 2021 its a slightly different story so a bit of twitchiness may begin sooner than we think....Browne, Pearson, Davies, Johnson for starters....

It does feel a bit like last chance saloon at a shot at promotion this season before another rebuild/ transition/ decline....

It does - but if we were to lose several of our leading players in the summer there would be two compensating factors. Firstly we would get a lot of money and secondly we are already developing a 'next generation' in the form, for instance, of Storey, Ledson, Harrop, Potts, Bayliss and Ginnelly. But for the first time with AN we are not playing catch-up but are way up with the leading group. Let's see where that takes us.

Status
Not open for further replies.