PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Vegan Thread

I feed both cat and hedgehog meat and also my daughter is omni (although 90% plant based when she is with me)

Before I made the change my brother told me that being vegan isnt about being perfect it is about doing the best you can
Fully agree - I remember when I first turned veggie many years ago, a lot of my mates did, too, but went full on strict diet and became militant. After a couple of years, most of them burned out and now eat Big Macs.

You have to compromise sometimes - as an example, if I go to someone's house, they offer food. Folk are OK with me saying I don't eat meat, but I am not going to start demanding to know if the cheese has animal rennet or the biscuits have animal fat - that would offend them and make me even more of an arsehole. I just sit down and eat it!

There is nothing like a nice fat juicy Fillet steak or a piece of Welsh lamb (about the only good thing from Wales) with plenty of Chips, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and peas, with plenty of gravy.

Hum I can taste it now

Probably why I visit Blackpool Victoria so often, but I will die happy not like some miserable sods trying to live longer on what animals live on

There is nothing like a nice fat juicy Fillet steak or a piece of Welsh lamb (about the only good thing from Wales) with plenty of Chips, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower and peas, with plenty of gravy.

Hum I can taste it now

Probably why I visit Blackpool Victoria so often, but I will die happy not like some miserable sods trying to live longer on what animals live on

we can only hope it is a Welsh or Scottish doctor who puts us out of your misery!!!!

If the thread can stretch to covering a spectrum, perhaps at the other end to veganism, there is the trend to ethical omnivorousness and/or reduced meat eating. That's where I am at now. Can't never see myself going vegan... like proper vegan. But it's possible that I might go towards it.... might go veggie one day - and as CO2 would be a key driver, that could include reduced dairy. Pescatarianism might be the transition.

For now, I'm on reduced meat - trying to by locally ethically sourced meat (not exclusively though). I tend towards free range when I can. One big ****** [can't think of the word... something like hypocrisy/paradox/inconsistency] that strikes me is that a big proportion of the population would be aghast at the thought of buying factory-farmed eggs - many would look down on anyone buying them. And yet the same people eat factory farmed chicken until it comes out of their ears. A proportion of the chicken I buy personally is free range or organic but I am no saint (it's bloody expensive) and almost never think twice about it when eating out.
Aldi’s free range chicken is reasonable .

Hum I can taste it now

1579782815939.png

Aldi’s free range chicken is reasonable .
A while back, when my brother-in-law stayed here, he complained about the price of the lump of beef he bought from the butchers - about double what he would pay at a supermarket in the UK.

However, it was such excellent quality meat that they got far more meals out of it than they would in the UK - it worked out much cheaper in the end and much tastier.

I have a massive dislike for a really high percentage of vegans I come across as I believe they do more harm than good.

I avoided taking the step for a long time as I spent about 4 years working in an abattoir so I believed it would make me a hypocrite. My brother had been vegan for about 6 years when I decided to transition and I set myself a date and in the months leading up to it started educating myself about the dietary requirements.

Oddly I find the dairy industry to be a lot worse than the meat industry due to the prolonged suffering.
Did a bit of research into vegan cheese last night because there are a few Greek companies doing it (and supermarkets now sell various vegan milk and yogurt etc.) and I wondered how they were finding a market - while you find a few Greeks turning vegan for ethical and health reasons, or because it's trendy, there aren't many.

Turns out that they are going for the religious angle - a lot of Greek Orthodox Christians, even if they are not particularly devout, fast during lent and other festivals, so they don't eat dairy products or meat. Makes sense. That and the fact that the diary companies are a cartel, so everything is overpriced - soya or almond milk is often much cheaper than cow's milk.

Did a bit of research into vegan cheese last night because there are a few Greek companies doing it (and supermarkets now sell various vegan milk and yogurt etc.) and I wondered how they were finding a market - while you find a few Greeks turning vegan for ethical and health reasons, or because it's trendy, there aren't many.

Turns out that they are going for the religious angle - a lot of Greek Orthodox Christians, even if they are not particularly devout, fast during lent and other festivals, so they don't eat dairy products or meat. Makes sense. That and the fact that the diary companies are a cartel, so everything is overpriced - soya or almond milk is often much cheaper than cow's milk.

I've noticed quite a few muslims and Jews going vegan because they can guarantee that the food is halal/kosher. When you add that to those that are lactose intolerant, those with ethical beliefs and people who just don't fancy drinking puss and secretions then all of a sudden you have a market for it.

I've noticed quite a few muslims and Jews going vegan because they can guarantee that the food is halal/kosher. When you add that to those that are lactose intolerant, those with ethical beliefs and people who just don't fancy drinking puss and secretions then all of a sudden you have a market for it.

*puts cup of tea down*

Lidl too. The fishmonger on Chorley market have them on Saturdays, they are from a local farm and are miles tastier than the supermarket ones-yum. And they are a similar price.

Yea they are all right too
Chips and Egg (done in the Chip pan, nice and crisp), and don't forget the Mushy Peas

Yea they are all right too
Chips and Egg (done in the Chip pan, nice and crisp), and don't forget the Mushy Peas
Can't beat egg and chips. Sorry vegans but I like mine with a thick slice of proper ham and a smear of mustard. Call me a ponce JT but it's French for me. Not bragging but it helps if you've got your own eggs too.

Also true of Sikhs, they are only supposed to eat wild animals which have been hunted. Because it's so hard to get hold of suitably killed meat many go veggie. Many just ignore it however as they do with the abstinence rules.

Forced insemination then they take the calf off them early, hook the female up to a machine and force her to produce milk until she can't any more.

Mass farming is appalling really.
I do agree Paddy. I do the occasional month or so vegan but find it difficult to stick to long term, I enjoy the food greatly and the health benefits. It's when I'm on mi hols in Spain that I feel that I'm missing out and that stops me from going full vegan. Hat's off to you all for sustaining it. It's difficult to accept lectures from veggies who eat dairy.