PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Music Preston have run out to

What the f*** are British universities doing, wasting time and money, researching shit like this? What possible academic value can there be?

Surely it’s a wind up?
Surveys are a waste of time.
Let's be honest, right minded people won't answer one on-line like this and are savvy enough to avoid anyone with a clipboard on the High Street.😁

The song on that one?

O'Fortuna by Carl Orff I think.

As an aside checking that account, under Craig Brown it appears to be Samba De Janiero

Happy memories from that game as well. QPR were astonishingly bad that season but we were very entertaining. A couple of things from that game. Great name of the QPR midfielder Jermaine Darlington. And, if you like me are in your early forties, still feel you are about 20 but beginning to realise you are actually old: QPR had a young winger that day called Tony Scully. His son Anthony was playing for Lincoln City at the weekend.

One thing is for sure, when it comes to music to run out to, you will never ever suit all the people even half the time.

As for Margie, I remember that from when I first got taken to NE by my Dad. Later I had a mate that played in the band and we both thought Margie was a dirge of a song/tune. Certainly not one to get the Adrenalin going.

The song on that one?

O'Fortuna by Carl Orff I think.

As an aside checking that account, under Craig Brown it appears to be Samba De Janiero

Does anyone know who that commentator is? If he's still around? Does the commentary on some of the season highlight DVDs I have - must have stopped a good 15 years or so ago though.

Surveys are a waste of time.
Let's be honest, right minded people won't answer one on-line like this and are savvy enough to avoid anyone with a clipboard on the High Street.😁
“Surveys are a waste of time”.

quite right, we don’t want to trust anyone that’s actually researched their subject.
div.

The club tried to bring Margie back about 15 years ago after suggestions by the fans. It was piped in over the tannoy before the game. Didn't catch on.

I know I was being a bit sarcy, for effect., I was actually a little interested to see if/how people would respond but I still strongly believe it to be a bullshit project.
It’s not so much the cost of lecturer salaries (their lacky students will probably do much of the legwork) - it’s the opportunity cost. These capable people have a finite amount of time and it galls me when it is dedicated to projects that are IMO clearly either invented only to keep students busy - or to try to write a report that will “get on the news” or that is funded for other spurious or commercial reasons, without adding any real value to society.
There is plenty of important stuff to do. Some of it involving cultural research with no apparent financial value. But come on - Songs that footballers run out to?? Really?? The cultural or academic value of the work, as described in the OP, is practically zilch IMO. They could be doing something of much greater usefulness.
The way I view stuff like this is that it preserves culture. I'm doing an english lit degree at the minute and mostly do contemporary stuff because if you want to learn about people like us (Northern, working class) it's only really been turned into fiction and studied over the last century or so, before that it's all posh cunts invading places and getting married and having tea. I'd love to know as much as possible about the match day experience in the Invincibles era, how normal working Prestonians spent their Saturday afternoons and what the occasion was like around that all conquering team, but because academia wasn't bothered about it there's no way to. Whatever the study is focused on I think it's great that (hopefully) in 200 years someone will be able to go into the archive and learn more about what football's like now. I think the kind of music that's played is a really interesting way of looking at that and really helps get the vibe of the occasion. On the face of it snooker and darts are very similar sports but in reality they're vastly different experiences and the music at the two events really sum that up