PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Simon Grayson to be Sacked.

It's actually a decent post by Raef. The Football under Grayson a lot of the time wasn't pretty to the eye, but he got results. In League 1 he had a large budget for that level, and he did his remit to get us promoted. He rightly deserves a lot of credit for that.

Our first season in the Championship wasn't great football. But it was all about keeping us safe, and that was done with ease in the end. The 2nd season in the Championship we had the brilliance of McGeady, especially in home games. That was a huge difference between his 2 seasons in charge at this level.

The Sunderland job was a blessing for us. Grayson was incapable of turning us into a promotion contender in this league. I honestly think we would have ended up sacking him a few months into the new season. There were a lot of fans proven wrong who said we could do no better than Grayson. The difference between Neil and Grayson is like chalk and cheese. We got a much better deal with Neil replacing him.

People forget we had a bad run of form at the end of our second season in the Championship. And he's taken that bad run with him to Sunderland, Bradford and Blackpool.

Your post is a decent, fair and comprehensive post about Grayson's time in charge of PNE.

Raef's isn't.

The timing of Grayson's sacking by the Donkey Lashers is bizarre. They're not going to be promoted or relegated this season.

They've just recruited more of Grayson's players in the transfer window.

Grayson needed more time.

I agree with Norky - Grayson would have ended up gone in 17/18 anyway. Had he got his targets we would have maybe gone down.

Very unfair conjecture.

I'm delighted we recruited Neil in the summer of 2017. He is an improvement on Grayson. It is unlikely we'd ever have been in the position we are now - genuine promotion candidates - under Grayson.

But that does not denigrate Grayson's ability, that he proved time and again whilst here, nor the quality of the job he did during his 4 and a half years at PNE.

Not a chance we'd have been relegated in 2017/18 under SG.

The timing of Grayson's sacking by the Donkey Lashers is bizarre. They're not going to be promoted or relegated this season.

They've just recruited more of Grayson's players in the transfer window.

Grayson needed more time.

They aren't going to get promoted, true, largely because of Grayson. That's the problem.

Amidst all the chaos at Blackpool, it's often forgotten that they were a solid League One side prior to him taking over. They finished 10th last season despite the off the field problems. They finished 12th the season before, having just come up that season. Grayson leaves them in 15th, with 1 win in 12, despite having joined a much more stable club than they had been, and he's been backed quite significantly since he joined.

He's made them worse, and when you add that to the fact that they've clearly been awful to watch, it looks like it was a no brainer to get rid of him.

Maybe it's just superstition on my part, but I think second spells at football clubs, especially managerial ones, rarely work. It's better to just never go back.

That said I think the key issue is Grayson has simply lost his mojo, and I reckon the Sunderland debacle, and the publicity and Netflix series that came with it, has affected him much more than he lets on.

They aren't going to get promoted, true, largely because of Grayson. That's the problem.

Amidst all the chaos at Blackpool, it's often forgotten that they were a solid League One side prior to him taking over. They finished 10th last season despite the off the field problems. They finished 12th the season before, having just come up that season. Grayson leaves them in 15th, with 1 win in 12, despite having joined a much more stable club than they had been, and he's been backed quite significantly since he joined.

He's made them worse, and when you add that to the fact that they've clearly been awful to watch, it looks like it was a no brainer to get rid of him.

Maybe it's just superstition on my part, but I think second spells at football clubs, especially managerial ones, rarely work. It's better to just never go back.

That said I think the key issue is Grayson has simply lost his mojo, and I reckon the Sunderland debacle, and the publicity and Netflix series that came with it, has affected him much more than he lets on.

They won't get promoted this season, no.

However it's not so long ago they were on the cusp of the playoffs. They've hit a rough patch and it's killed their prospects this season. That's when you need a sensible board to stand by a manager, given his record, and allow said manager a second season to get things right.

We've done exactly that ourselves with Neil, twice, particularly in 2018/19 when we went on an identical run of 1 win in 12 and were rock bottom of the league, and are now reaping the rewards.

We've done exactly that ourselves with Neil, twice, particularly in 2018/19 when we went on an identical run of 1 win in 12 and were rock bottom of the league, and are now reaping the rewards.

Different scenarios really. Neil had delivered a 7th placed finish just months before that poor run, and was/is working with a bottom 3 budget in our division.

Grayson hasn't delivered now for years and his recent record is dreadful. In his last job at Bradford, albeit in a short space of time, his win percentage was just above 20%, despite the fact that whilst he was there, he spent a lot of time talking about how he viewed himself as a Championship manager. He was also backed significantly, again, in League One on his return to Blackpool and should have had them much higher than 15th.

Clearly the Blackpool board have looked at things and thought they weren't going to get much better. Looking on from the outside, it's easy to see why. He looks like a busted flush. Shame really because he's clearly a nice guy who did a good job for North End but I'd be surprised now if he takes another job in football management.

Seems a very knee jerk reaction to sack Grayson. Especially after backing him so heavily across 2 windows.
Any lasher fans thinking the signings were some sort of long term club strategy need to be reminded that he chased the likes of Madine and kai kai while pne boss, Nuttall will have played with his lad in rovers under 23s, and obviously Maxwell speaks for himself. These will be very much Grayson initiated signings, signed with the plan to implement his brand of attritional, one dimensional football.
If ever there was a time and place to take stock and re-build for the future it is league one this season. To do that they needed to either sack him or back him - sadly they've done both and now face a situation where they have players on long, expensive contracts who will not necessarily fit in with the new manager's thinking.
Certainly a lack of joined up thinkingfrom the owner...in hindsight, they were probably better off sticking with the Oystons...

Seems a very knee jerk reaction to sack Grayson. Especially after backing him so heavily across 2 windows.
Any lasher fans thinking the signings were some sort of long term club strategy need to be reminded that he chased the likes of Madine and kai kai while pne boss, Nuttall will have played with his lad in rovers under 23s, and obviously Maxwell speaks for himself. These will be very much Grayson initiated signings, signed with the plan to implement his brand of attritional, one dimensional football.
If ever there was a time and place to take stock and re-build for the future it is league one this season. To do that they needed to either sack him or back him - sadly they've done both and now face a situation where they have players on long, expensive contracts who will not necessarily fit in with the new manager's thinking.
Certainly a lack of joined up thinkingfrom the owner...in hindsight, they were probably better off sticking with the Oystons...

Maxwell had a shocker on Tuesday night on a couple of the goals.

With all due respect Raef, this is a ridiculously simplistic and overly callous assessment of one of PNE's most successful managers in recent times.

Although the demolition of Swindon at Wembley was undoubtedly the zenith moment of Grayson's time with us, it shouldn't devalue the other great work he did whilst here.

I agree. Two 10th place finishes on our return to the Championship was a creditable achievement. Like all managers, not all his signings worked out but signing Beckford was a masterstroke and McGeady was the most gifted and entertaining player seen at Deepdale since Fuller.

Glad to see him go. Relentlessly tedious, antiquated hoofball. Baffling tactics and nonsensical team selections. Not a single player improved in his time at the Club. Constantly blamed the players' and never himself. At the end, it looked like he had lost the support of the players and the fans. A mere shadow of the manager who left us for Leeds all those years ago. At least Simon Sadler has acted quickly and not dragged this out. Whoever is appointed now, I would like to see football played in the right manner, with positive intent, rather than the fear of avoiding defeat.

Almost everything you say is completely true of Grayson............. Thing is though he'd have probably got you back into the Championship....Eventually. :)

Excellent. A very good summary.

Thats bullshit, Grayson is a good manager, sadly chose a few wrong clubs to go to. He needs a side thats willing to give him time. He had a blip with us, but we didn’t panic and got our reward at Wembley. Your owner PROBABLY reacted because your fans started throwing their toys around again and talking about boycotts. Grayson’s sacking was not a Football sacking, it was a fan pleaser. Lets hope you return to League 2 soon, sadly won’t be this season because of Bury, Bolton and Southend. Which Proves your club had time to stand by their manager, but just wanted to avoid the Boycotts. Whats the next excuse? Not going on till Agent Maxwell has gone?
This one is rather silly.