PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Music Preston have run out to

How was music played at the grounds before PA systems? In the days of Margie was there an actual brass band?

Happy memories from that game as well. QPR were astonishingly bad that season but we were very entertaining. A couple of things from that game. Great name of the QPR midfielder Jermaine Darlington. And, if you like me are in your early forties, still feel you are about 20 but beginning to realise you are actually old: QPR had a young winger that day called Tony Scully. His son Anthony was playing for Lincoln City at the weekend.

As you know I don't get to Deepdale often enough but I was at this game. Do you remember Michael Jackson holding Darlington by the throat in the centre circle after the whistle had gone for half time?

The way I view stuff like this is that it preserves culture. I'm doing an english lit degree at the minute and mostly do contemporary stuff because if you want to learn about people like us (Northern, working class) it's only really been turned into fiction and studied over the last century or so, before that it's all posh cunts invading places and getting married and having tea. I'd love to know as much as possible about the match day experience in the Invincibles era, how normal working Prestonians spent their Saturday afternoons and what the occasion was like around that all conquering team, but because academia wasn't bothered about it there's no way to. Whatever the study is focused on I think it's great that (hopefully) in 200 years someone will be able to go into the archive and learn more about what football's like now. I think the kind of music that's played is a really interesting way of looking at that and really helps get the vibe of the occasion. On the face of it snooker and darts are very similar sports but in reality they're vastly different experiences and the music at the two events really sum that up

It's a judgement call as to what should be researched and collated. You make a logical argument for this. You don't persuade me that a team of university academics should be tasked with finding out what songs 92 teams ran out to is collated in a formal academic report is in any way a cultural priority. It could be a fair topic for enthusiasts to sort out.

Bloody hell, hearing that Carl Orff has got me fired up. Would love hear that played before matches again.

Currently having some decent flashbacks at the moment!

Just watched that video of the 5-0 win over QPR. I can’t remember why but I remember as a 6 year old absolutely fucking adoring Brian McBride and always wanted him to do really well later in his career when he went to Fulham. What a player.

It's a judgement call as to what should be researched and collated. You make a logical argument for this. You don't persuade me that a team of university academics should be tasked with finding out what songs 92 teams ran out to is collated in a formal academic report is in any way a cultural priority. It could be a fair topic for enthusiasts to sort out.
I think if it takes them 2 hours tops to post on all the forums it's worth the money. 2 hours work for a uni lecturer works out to about £40ish

As you know I don't get to Deepdale often enough but I was at this game. Do you remember Michael Jackson holding Darlington by the throat in the centre circle after the whistle had gone for half time?
You have a better memory than me Sid! I do remember Brian McBride playing like Shearer that day.

Sorry Joeheadland, no offence but I'm not that bothered about the results of the research in regards to football and music and genuinely dont want to appear to mock or belittle your work but I am extremely interested in hearing how many of the other places you have asked have ended up querying the point or purpose of your research.

Seriously, I would love to know.

What the f*** are British universities doing, wasting time and money, researching shit like this? What possible academic value can there be?

Surely it’s a wind up?
This is good academic research mate, at the end of his university studies he will get a top job, like stacking shelves in Aldi 😂

This is the one - Stone Roses

We have been coming out to this for a few years now !

Isn’t this what United have come out to for years?

I don’t get why were copying anything that club does.