PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Political Correctness

Poteen used to be the answer to any ailments in humans or livestock in rural Ireland. The first Mrs E's ancient aunt used it on ailing calves and lambs as well as using it like liniment on her arthritic hands and having a drop in her tea when she was feeling under the weather.....she lived to be 95 and the vet bills were minimal for the animals
I occasionally get swollen ankles and nosebleeds during hot summers - a drop of raki to thin the blood works wonders!

Ant and Dec performed a silly little dance routine, having a surreal martial arts “fight” behind some famous singer on their show on Saturday. They wore bandanas with a Japanese rising sun symbol on (not the simple red circle 🔴 but the one with rays coming from it.
Apparently the singer is appalled and now ITV are doing something to hide the symbol for anyone watching on catch up.
Have to say that the sensitivity of the flag is a new one on me. Apparently harks back to a WWII imperialist past. Sensible, or Political Correctness gone mad?

Ant and Dec performed a silly little dance routine, having a surreal martial arts “fight” behind some famous singer on their show on Saturday. They wore bandanas with a Japanese rising sun symbol on (not the simple red circle 🔴 but the one with rays coming from it.
Apparently the singer is appalled and now ITV are doing something to hide the symbol for anyone watching on catch up.
Have to say that the sensitivity of the flag is a new one on me. Apparently harks back to a WWII imperialist past. Sensible, or Political Correctness gone mad?
It's an interesting one - had a discussion about it here a few months back. It was when a member of a Thai band wore a t-shirt with a swastika on it and was condemned widely:

I argued that, while is was a daft mistake on her part, people in some parts of the world are not as knowledgeable about the Holocaust - history can be very regional.

I gave the example of western bands wearing the rising sun symbol, which is just as offensive to many in South East Asia as the Swastika is to us, because of the many atrocities committed by the Japanese in WWII (my granddad, who fought in Burma, hated it). Yet, nobody condemns rock bands for wearing it.

When reading about the swastika incident, this was on the Google search page and I have to admit that it did make me snigger:

On the upside, its worth it just to see you throw yet another PC wobbly. Try counting to 10 and survey the calmness of the scouse waters. Its really not the end of the world as you know it.

It’s virtue signalling bullshit and I may be turning into Victor Meldrew but you know what? Sometimes Victor got it right.

It’s virtue signalling bullshit and I may be turning into Victor Meldrew but you know what? Sometimes Victor got it right.

But he never changed much and was eternally miserable much to our amusement. I have a problem with largely commercial concerns presenting themselves as virtuous for dubious motives. I dont have a problem with young people trying to find themselves and hooking themselves onto what they consider a good cause. No different to the 80s before half turned into yuppies. The other half (and some yuppies) at least obtained a sense of community and the common good. So for me, much of what is going isnt for me and my generation. They need hope and they wont get much listening to some of us on here wittering on like spoilt old bastards.