PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Park Hotel. Miller Park.

Your right Europne, well spotted, it was.
The square's gardens, now an open public park, originally consisted of private plots, each owned by a resident
:)And many thanks for starting the thread, nice to know some of us out there are still interested in Preston's past history.:)

When you walk around winkley square now they have little plaques on the stone section of the park railings tellingly you who used to live in the house behind, and at the top end there is a map

My mum wanted to train as a dressmaker as she was leaving school just as WW2 broke out. The authorities told her that this was not an 'essential' occupation and that there would be no opportunities in that. She was basically sent to work instead in the mill on Miller Road in Ribbleton which has a big wall that backs on to the top end of Waverley Park. She was glad to get out of it eventually and spent the rest of her working life as a shop assistant in various shops around town or Ribbleton where we grew up.

My mum wanted to train as a dressmaker as she was leaving school just as WW2 broke out. The authorities told her that this was not an 'essential' occupation and that there would be no opportunities in that. She was basically sent to work instead in the mill on Miller Road in Ribbleton which has a big wall that backs on to the top end of Waverley Park. She was glad to get out of it eventually and spent the rest of her working life as a shop assistant in various shops around town or Ribbleton where we grew up.

Similar story for my Grandma. She was particularly skilled with sewing / textiles and the like she told us and she wanted to do something with those skills upon leaving school which was sadly smack bang in the middle of WW2.

She did get to utilise them skills as she was put to work in a factory manufacturing parachutes for the forces.

Not entirely sure where that factory will have been exactly but it was definitely in Preston.

My mum was telling me yesterday how she grew up in an area of very poor quality housing called 'Everton Gardens' which was near where the Bus Station/Buckingham Bingo stands today. It was cleared as part of the slum clearance programme in, I think, the 1930s and the residents were moved to some of the newer council estates that were just being built in Preston at the time - my mum/grandparents were re-housed on the part of the Moor Nook Estate at Ulswater road, which was in itself demolished to make way for newer houses in the 1980s.
Seem to remember it was at the back of the old fire station in Titheharn Street, opposite the old theatre. Anybody got any photos of the area? This is a brilliant thread.

When you walk around winkley square now they have little plaques on the stone section of the park railings tellingly you who used to live in the house behind, and at the top end there is a map
Aye, it was a very sought after area back in the day, Prestons version of Belgravia, I suppose. There are also a lot of huge houses above Watery Lane and the streets that run up from there to Ashton which used to belong to the wealthy Captains and ship owners who used the docks.

Not Preston, I know, but when I lived in London years ago I used to love doing the 'hidden histories' walks there, you'd discover, for example, a little hidden courtyard where the last ever 'duel' took place in Britain with blokes with swords settling their differences. It'd be grand to do something like that for Preston and, as a historian, it's something I'd consider doing once retired.

Not Preston, I know, but when I lived in London years ago I used to love doing the 'hidden histories' walks there, you'd discover, for example, a little hidden courtyard where the last ever 'duel' took place in Britain with blokes with swords settling their differences. It'd be grand to do something like that for Preston and, as a historian, it's something I'd consider doing once retired.
Im not sure Duels are a good idea anymore :)

There was a similar area of back to back houses and narrow streets just of Bow Lane.

Ladyman St was at the top and Robinson St and Hawkshead St were narrow dead end streets that ran off it.

I remember it as a kid, it was very run down, demolished late 1950’s, and the new wholesale fruit and veg market was later built on the site.

Flood-at-Mount-Street.jpg

I think it is now a shut case that the old tramway crossed over Syke Brook at this site, the bridge abutment is on the left next to the house were John Inman was born.

Interesting read before the tramway/
When the canal opened in 1797 much of the infrastructure in the centre of Preston was missing. The Tulketh cutting was still under construction so, if coal was transported up to Lancaster another route was needed.

Interesting read before the tramway/
When the canal opened in 1797 much of the infrastructure in the centre of Preston was missing. The Tulketh cutting was still under construction so, if coal was transported up to Lancaster another route was needed.

Interesting that Savick Brook was used for navigation long before the Ribble Link was built.

Interesting that Savick Brook was used for navigation long before the Ribble Link was built.
I know they were looking at doing what they did in the Ribble / Canal link back then, but they went against the idea because of silting up, what I find strange was the bit about the Tulketh cut, were did the canal end at the Preston end when it was first constructed, around Haslam Park near Savick Brook ?

I know they were looking at doing what they did in the Ribble / Canal link back then, but they went against the idea because of silting up, what I find strange was the bit about the Tulketh cut, were did the canal end at the Preston end when it was first constructed, around Haslam Park near Savick Brook ?

I'm not sure, you'd think it would have started from the basin on Corporation Street, around where Aldi and Pound Stretcher are now situated but the article suggests not. Can't find any details on Lancaster Canal Trust site.