PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The News and Current Affairs Section- A Polite Request (Please Read)

JK

I try not to fly in the face of public opinion!
Staff member
Patron
Hello everyone.

As you will already be aware from previous requests from moderators we have had some concerns in regards to the content, persistent trolling, abuse and thread hijacking in this section of the forum.

The moderators who spend their spare time (for free) to moderate the whole of PNE-Online are spending a unacceptable amount of time having to deal with reports from users (not all of whom post frequently), repeated DM's to moderators from a handful of posters, and generally dealing with the same issues over and over again.

PNE-Online has been around for a very long time and many of the posters in this section have added value to the site for the same length of time.

One of this forums unique strengths is the popularity of the non football sections. However, it is getting to the point where we may have to close individual threads or even close this section completely temporarily. We do not want to ban users and especially users who make a financial contribution to the upkeep of the forum, however unless there is a sense of self moderation in this section we will be left we little choice.

These are strange and unsettling times, we do not and never wish to curtail debate on ANY subject but I hope users can take this post in the manner it is intended and we can all carry on enjoying the great debate which has kept this forum alive.

Stay Safe and Keep Well.

JK

Last edited:
Inevitable; the news forum has become toxic and despite the potential for the forum to become a real voice for the club and city it's currently a cage match between two arguments.

Debate is great, but only when it stays that way! My thoughts on the relevancy of sources is known, but I'd love to see more quality debate and discussion here rather than going straight for the insult or accusation - something I myself have been guilty of but regret on reflection

Hello everyone.

As you will already be aware from previous requests from moderators we have had some concerns in regards to the content, persistent trolling, abuse and thread hijacking in this section of the forum.

The moderators who spend their spare time (for free) to moderate the whole of PNE-Online are spending a unacceptable amount of time having to deal with reports from users (not all of whom post frequently), repeated DM's to moderators from a handful of posters, and generally dealing with the same issues over and over again.

PNE-Online has been around for a very long time and many of the posters in this section have added value to the site for the same length of time.

One of this forums unique strengths is the popularity of the non football sections. However, it is getting to the point where we may have to close individual threads or even close this section completely temporarily. We do not want to ban users and especially users who make a financial contribution to the upkeep of the forum, however unless there is a sense of self moderation in this section we will be left we little choice.

These are strange and unsettling times, we do not and never wish to curtail debate on ANY subject but I hope users can take this post in the manner it is intended and we can all carry on enjoying the great debate which has kept this forum alive.

Stay Safe and Keep Well.

JK
You're Giving in to Snickys moaning then? He's an absolute flange. Your forum will be less without those he moans about.

Needs shutting down that section, if only temporarily, just for some people’s sanity.

Each time a perfectly debatable thread gets started, it is derailed by about post 10 and becomes a cesspit of utterly pointless toxicity with mud being slinged all over the place - healthy debate never seems to last longer than a few fleeting moments on such threads.

I find it all rather funny and bizarre on some level that some folk invest so much time and emotional energy into bickering via an online forum frankly.

It is an odd football forum when it is actually the Football pages that seem to contain the most civil posts.

Let those that want to bicker go and do it on the Daily Mail’s comment sections or something. They would be in good company.

Needs shutting down that section, if only temporarily, just for some people’s sanity.

Each time a perfectly debatable thread gets started, it is derailed by about post 10 and becomes a cesspit of utterly pointless toxicity with mud being slinged all over the place - healthy debate never seems to last longer than a few fleeting moments on such threads.

I find it all rather funny and bizarre on some level that some folk invest so much time and emotional energy into bickering via an online forum frankly.

It is an odd football forum when it is actually the Football pages that seem to contain the most civil posts.

Let those that want to bicker go and do it on the Daily Mail’s comment sections or something. They would be in good company.
Yeh, just shut the forum down. The forum that's been here for over fifteen years.

If you don't think that the amount of death and illness would create a larger issue than usual, then more fool you. Maybe just stick to the football section if it's too much?

Regarding toxicity, I cannot see why we appear to be unable to highlight the failings of those in power at this time while we are looking to have the worst death rate in Europe. Isn't that to be expected? This is a personal battle to a lot if people, that appears to be being lost.

Anyway, shut the forum down, ban everyone and anyone.....that'll solve it. Looks like those who want to stifle debate and criticism will get their wish. Good for them.

Last edited:
You're Giving in to Snickys moaning then? He's an absolute flange. Your forum will be less without those he moans about.
Classy.

Fuck all to do with me. But, if you really want to look at things that way and make it personal, (which to be honest this isn’t the place) look for the common denominators in recent bans and warnings.
Hint, it’s not me (surprisingly enough)

Regarding toxicity, I cannot see why we appear to be unable to highlight the failings of those in power at this time while we are looking to have the worst death rate in Europe. Isn't that to be expected? This is a personal battle to a lot if people, that appears to be being lost.

It's more the fact that people won't debate what you put in front of them. Rather than scrutinising what is seen, members respond with vitriol. Counter arguments aren't seen, and it descends into a a shit flinging fight rather than a healthy debate.

It's on the opposing side to debate properly, but also on the initial side to not lower themselves to the other's level when they lash out.

It's more the fact that people won't debate what you put in front of them. Rather than scrutinising what is seen, members respond with vitriol. Counter arguments aren't seen, and it descends into a a shit flinging fight rather than a healthy debate.

It's on the opposing side to debate properly, but also on the initial side to not lower themselves to the other's level when they lash out.
Please tell Nobber we don’t have the highest death rate in Europe. Fact.

Maybe that's because football hasn't been the major topic for discussion on here for a very long time.

For the last week or so, I've actually been using the ignore feature for the first time for maybe 6 or 8 years. Just one poster at the moment... although I skate past plenty of other posts at the moment and actually, I think I must have missed some of the aggro... unless some are causing quiet trouble by sending reports left right and centre.

Don't envy the mods at times. Gets ridiculous. But would hate to see it closed down.

It's always been a highly charged section of the forum. Leave it be. Let people vent and let off steam.

I haven't seen anything that would warrant shutting threads down. There's loads of healthy and informative debate, and yes there's also loads of arguing...but so what? The majority of the arguments are still on topic.

People will agree on things and discussion will be had. People will disagree on things and debate or arguments will ensue. Sometimes it'll get vitriolic. Welcome to the real world.

I'll tell you who need shutting down.... the boring little tattletale tommy tell tales who don't post but are reporting posts and mithering mods via PM..... which I'm in no doubt has lead to JK having to make this public post.

Gerron wi' it and stop being soft.

Can we release a list of everyone’s Posts:Report ratio.

Want to know the weirdo’s who want to police a forum they don’t post in, call them out.

Mods do a good job and we have easily the best message board I’ve seen of any club, doesn’t need any internet Karens spoiling that for everyone