PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ando's Thread For Wine That Is Red

Although I'm more a fan of whisky and tend to drink more craft ales at home now, for wine there's absolutely no contest for me - 2015 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon is hands down the best wine i've ever had - if you ever come across it, I implore you to try it. It's so full of fruity notes when you smell it, it almost smells like Ribena or something!

For white wine, my girlfriend and I are big fans of a Torrontes - Tesco did a 'Tesco's Finest' from Salta for £8 which is lovely.

I went to Monaco a couple of years ago and a friend of mine who was living there insisted I try a rosè he'd been drinking which, to this date, is the only one i've ever liked - OTT chateau de selle 2016 - really nice when I had it.. that could have been something to do with the sun & scenery too though I suppose

Talking of Barolos, I've never tried one - I was bought a bottle of 2014 Ricossa just before christmas which I'm yet to open

Will definitely be making my way through some of the recommendations here - great thread (y)

Alamos Torrentes 2017 is very refreshing.

Ocado.

Although I'm more a fan of whisky and tend to drink more craft ales at home now, for wine there's absolutely no contest for me - 2015 Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon is hands down the best wine i've ever had - if you ever come across it, I implore you to try it. It's so full of fruity notes when you smell it, it almost smells like Ribena or something!

For white wine, my girlfriend and I are big fans of a Torrontes - Tesco did a 'Tesco's Finest' from Salta for £8 which is lovely.

I went to Monaco a couple of years ago and a friend of mine who was living there insisted I try a rosè he'd been drinking which, to this date, is the only one i've ever liked - OTT chateau de selle 2016 - really nice when I had it.. that could have been something to do with the sun & scenery too though I suppose

Talking of Barolos, I've never tried one - I was bought a bottle of 2014 Ricossa just before christmas which I'm yet to open

Will definitely be making my way through some of the recommendations here - great thread (y)
Whiskey
Have you tried old pultney- for the money is a nice tipple

Edgy, a Taylors '63' with a classic Blue Stilton cannot be beaten....

With your coffee, the ultimate is a warmed brandy glass of 'Larios 1866 ' The best brandy I have ever tasted.

Completely off topic....I really enjoy this site for obvious reasons but also because I do not have to wait for loading adverts and boxes to click to agree to all n' sundry.

Edgy, a Taylors '63' with a classic Blue Stilton cannot be beaten....

With your coffee, the ultimate is a warmed brandy glass of 'Larios 1866 ' The best brandy I have ever tasted.

Love a warm brandy
Cannot drink it any other way

Altano organic Douro. Just finishing the bottle. Absolutely brilliant.
Also, Waitrose sell a Xinomavro that is absolutely first class for about 11 quid.

I haven't actually, but I'll grab one next time I see it and let you know how it goes - I've a lot of whiskies in the garage now but as much as a try, I've not found one I get on with as well as Talisker 18.

Balvenie Doublewood, the experimental Glenfiddich IPA cask, any Macallan or on a more general note, Monkey's Shoulder & Jameson's are also solid choices.

Whiskey

In response to you:

I haven't actually, but I'll grab one next time I see it and let you know how it goes - I've a lot of whiskies in the garage now but as much as a try, I've not found one I get on with as well as Talisker 18.

Balvenie Doublewood, the experimental Glenfiddich IPA cask, any Macallan or on a more general note, Monkey's Shoulder & Jameson's are also solid choices.

Does anyone have any Malbec, or interesting new world recommendations? Lockdown has led me to try lots of new grapes (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) mainly Italian, but looking to try something new :cool:

The best for me is Rioja, especially in summer.

They’re not all good, but if you stay away from the really cheap supermarket stuff you can’t go far wrong imo.

Whiskey
I’ve tried more whiskys than I can remember, but for the best, I find it hard to beat Glenmorangie and Glenlivet. They’re popular for a reason.

The best for me is Rioja, especially in summer.

They’re not all good, but if you stay away from the really cheap supermarket stuff you can’t go far wrong imo.
I used to really enjoy an oaky Rioja, but can't take pronounced oakiness in wine anymore.
Recently discovered Rioja joven, or 'young Rioja', that is unoaked. Very nice indeed!

I am really sorry Paddy.... I have only just seen this thread.

I only ever drink red wine ( although I might occasionally have a G&T )

Therefore, I have drunk many reds over the years - a mix of good and not so good !!

my “ go to “ wine is a Cotes Du Rhône that Tesco do... it is £4-50 but please don’t be put off by the price because it really is nice.

i first discovered it after reading an article in the Sunday telegraph magazine whilst sitting in a waiting room.....

it used to be £3-50 but then over time as it’s popularity grew so did the price !
It even got up to £6 on one occasion but now it is £4-50..

as I say, do not be put off by the price .....

I used to really enjoy an oaky Rioja, but can't take pronounced oakiness in wine anymore.
Recently discovered Rioja joven, or 'young Rioja', that is unoaked. Very nice indeed!
I do like a good Rioja... Laithwaites do one called Baron du Barbon which is about a tenner, but it is very acceptable..

Does anyone have any Malbec, or interesting new world recommendations? Lockdown has led me to try lots of new grapes (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it) mainly Italian, but looking to try something new :cool:
It’s not exactly new, but have you tried Trivento - I think it’s about 7 or 8 quid at Tesco... it’s very nice

I am really sorry Paddy.... I have only just seen this thread.

I only ever drink red wine ( although I might occasionally have a G&T )

Therefore, I have drunk many reds over the years - a mix of good and not so good !!

my “ go to “ wine is a Cotes Du Rhône that Tesco do... it is £4-50 but please don’t be put off by the price because it really is nice.

i first discovered it after reading an article in the Sunday telegraph magazine whilst sitting in a waiting room.....

it used to be £3-50 but then over time as it’s popularity grew so did the price !
It even got up to £6 on one occasion but now it is £4-50..

as I say, do not be put off by the price .....
I'll have to give that one a go. I've been on beer during lockdown for some reason but had a craving for a good red the last few days