PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Player of the Year Interview - Aiden McGeady.

Often went missing? Are you serious?

Sure he could drift in and out of games, but he put the team on his back so many times. Against Brentford for example, he won the game on his own with a magical performance.

8 goals & 9 assists in 34 games, consensus player of the season, and you werent disappointed when we didnt bring him back? Why?
Too expensive
Too moody
Never believe an assist number. They are not worth the paper they are written on
As I said. Played on his terms
And frankly over rated
We weren’t falling over “stellar” signings at the time so I feel our general ability offered a bit of flattering to him also
Sorry but I just don’t get the adulation of some players who based on the Praise heaped upon them would be world class

I am on about us, not Sunderland. PNE was 2016/17.

We both agree that he was quality for us and sadly, these past 3 years, he has wasted that talent.

Yeah, I was replying to the guy who said he did nothing in League One when he actually hit double figures and was class.

Never believe an assist number. They are not worth the paper they are written on

An assist = setting up the goal.

I respect you but give your head a massive wobble here.

I suppose you don't rate Kevin De Bruyne then, with his assists of around 20 every season, on top of his goals?

Who did he score that class goal against away from home? step over and outside of the boot whack into the top corner from the edge of the area?

An assist = setting up the goal.

I respect you but give your head a massive wobble here.

I suppose you don't rate Kevin De Bruyne then, with his assists of around 20 every season, on top of his goals?
No I don’t
It s a woolly stat at best
And just to offer some fabric to the debate

So. For example, and I quote “the traditional definition of an assist, rewarding more actions that lead to a goal.
Traditionally, assists are awarded to a player who makes the final pass or cross before a goal is scored.
An assist is given even if the pass is unintentional. This means that this "pass" could be an inadvertent touch, as long as it is the final one before the goal is scored.”

unintentional
inadvertent

pretty key descriptors I would suggest for my offering of “woolly”

Last edited:
I really disagree. Lack of effort doesn't deserve applauding. Tyias Browning played 8 games for us. Why should fans clap a player for playing 8 games? Sorry I don't accept mediocrity and if they were mediocre then they don't deserve a round of applause IMHO. Fair enough if you do accept mediocrity.

I think you're confusing mediocrity with common courtesy / respect. Not suggesting that Browning was the greatest player for us of course but you can judge a player & say he lacked effort or is mediocre over 8 games?

Appreciate it's not for everyone & that's fine but IMHO anyone who comes back to play at Deepdale who has worn our shirt deserves some sort of clap from the AKTE whether that be half a dozen people or the whole stand.

Awful song but ooof

A lot of highlights from the Sheff Weds game there.

He absolutely terrorised them that day, pretty sure their RB got hooked because of the beating he was getting😂

What a player he was.

Imagine 2003 Fuller, 2006 Nugent and 2017 McGeady in the same team.

The three most entertaining players i've seen for us.

Who did he score that class goal against away from home? step over and outside of the boot whack into the top corner from the edge of the area?
Without viewing, I am guessing you are on about the Huddersfield away goal?

The reverse pass from Gally v Rovers was sublime.

I agree
He wasn’t even close
He was a world apart

Ha, I love Fuller as much as the next PNE fan but McGeady spent the majority of his career playing Champions League football and had clubs from abroad shelling out £10m on him.

You might not like the guy but talk about having an unreasoned viewpoint.

In their prime, McGeady was a much, much better player than Fuller and for PNE there wasn't much in it.

Ha, I love Fuller as much as the next PNE fan but McGeady spent the majority of his career playing Champions League football and had clubs from abroad shelling out £10m on him.

You might not like the guy but talk about having an unreasoned viewpoint.

In their prime, McGeady was a much, much better player than Fuller and for PNE there wasn't much in it.
You might have a bit of a point in your middle line my friend 😜. Is it that obvious !!!!

You might have a bit of a point in your middle line my friend 😜. Is it that obvious !!!!

Don't worry, it's taken about 15 years but i'm now able to bite my tongue and admit that David Healy was actually really good for us. *spit*