PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

I hated it, too - it was a hateful poster and I knew as soon as I saw it that it was an own goal.

Much like many remainers felt when Blair appeared on their side of the debate. Felt very sorry for them!
My fear is the irreparable division it has caused in our country. The extemes on either side still resorting to the "Remoaners," "Brexshitters," tags.

As much as many want to deny it the election, in December, was the 2nd referendum and the people rubber stamped their earlier decision.

I see nothing wrong, whatever, in holding this govt to account at every step of the way during the process of leaving. Their record proves they cannot be trusted to have the heart of all the people of this country at the top of their agenda. This musnt be seen as, "Attempting to frustrate Brexit," but ensuring that all of us get the best possible deal on leaving.

My fear is the irreparable division it has caused in our country. The extemes on either side still resorting to the "Remoaners," "Brexshitters," tags.

As much as many want to deny it the election, in December, was the 2nd referendum and the people rubber stamped their earlier decision.

I see nothing wrong, whatever, in holding this govt to account at every step of the way during the process of leaving. Their record proves they cannot be trusted to have the heart of all the people of this country at the top of their agenda. This musnt be seen as, "Attempting to frustrate Brexit," but ensuring that all of us get the best possible deal on leaving.
Fully agree - don't know if it is something that would have happened anyway (the financial crisis created huge divisions that were never repaired by politicians of all stripes), or if social media exacerbated it, but the extremes made the most noise and drove wedges deep into society. I have equal disdain for both sets.

I still believe that at least two thirds of Brits, after the referendum, would have shaken hands on a Norway type deal and then got on with their lives. Sadly, both sides had some obnoxious, hate-filled people, often following their own agendas, and the chance of compromise was lost.

Have absolutely no problem with your approach - that is healthy. The other side will be too (I will be annoyed if they capitulate on fisheries policy :D ).

I`m calling you on this..it`s complete bullshit and the exact opposite of how this played out.
You shouldn`t re-invent the past to suit your political views, John.

What happened in reality was that the UK government, shortly after Brexit, used the rights of EU citizens here, and also ours abroad, cynically and unsuccessfully, as a threat and bargaining chip with no respect or consideration whatsoever for the millions of people affected.

The funniest thing was the other week when PM announced on the hoof and at the drop of a hat he would if necessary guarantee residency rights to up to 2m Hong Kong citizens. Just like that. Coach and horses through what he claimed was the chief concern of Brexit voters. Not a whisper from media. Probably since he knows, they know and Hong Kongers know its just yet another empty promise he will withdraw or not follow through on

Ive had a lot of jip for this but until Farage played his infamous poster card I was in exactly the same position. The, "unsubtle racism," implied in that poster meant I could not vote on his side.
And I was extremely pro brexit until the Tories started offering their version. Which won’t be Brexit in anything but name.

And I was extremely pro brexit until the Tories started offering their version. Which won’t be Brexit in anything but name.

what specifically in the “Tory “ version of Brexit do you not like. What agreements with the EU would you do that you think they are not going to do. ?

@Nobber, I’m interested in your thoughts on this too. You are going to reply?
Simply put.

Boris lied. He was a remainder through and through and simply changed his tact to get in power. Surely you can see how he has ‘handled’ this pandemic that it’s just lie after lie after lie.

I wanted the whole lot ripping up and starting again. I wanted a trade deal that concentrated just on trade. No political interference from either side. No enforced austerity on whole countries. No faceless politicians on a gravy train. Just what is best for the economies of all in the trade agreement.

The eu is run by Tory plus. This shower of shit in government drive cars to check blindness, that alone should make people realise that what they say and what they actually do is a world apart.

Simply put.

Boris lied. He was a remainder through and through and simply changed his tact to get in power. Surely you can see how he has ‘handled’ this pandemic that it’s just lie after lie after lie.

I wanted the whole lot ripping up and starting again. I wanted a trade deal that concentrated just on trade. No political interference from either side. No enforced austerity on whole countries. No faceless politicians on a gravy train. Just what is best for the economies of all in the trade agreement.

The eu is run by Tory plus. This shower of shit in government drive cars to check blindness, that alone should make people realise that what they say and what they actually do is a world apart.

Agree, but it looks as though there won’t even be a trade deal.

There’s no point going over old arguments but as bad and as right wing you think the EU is, they’re nowhere near as bad as our government.

I’ve now given up, nothing I can do about it. Just have to wait and see how much shit we’re in after we leave completely.

One thing I don’t get is why the government’s saying we’re out now. We’re not until the transition period comes to an end. We’ve paid our subs so might as well milk it for all it’s worth untl then.

Last edited:

There’s no point going over old arguments but as bad and as right wing you think the EU is, they’re nowhere near as bad as our government.

I’ve now given up, nothing I can do about it. Just have to wait and see how much shit we’re in after we leave completely.

One thing I don’t get is why the government’s saying we’re out now. We’re not until the transition period comes to an end. We’ve paid our subs so might as well milk it for all it’s worth untl then.
I respectfully disagree :D :p

It's done now... but we need to stop this rewriting of history, which happens again and again.

The vast majority of people would agree that the December GE was indeed a de facto 2nd referendum. However, for historical accuracy, it is important to recognise that the people did NOT rubber stamp the decision. Quite the opposite. A decisive majority voted for parties that wanted to stop Brexit or put it to a new vote.

Simply put.

A free trade agreement is available provided:

1. We continue to allow access to E.U. fishing vessels to our waters
2. We accept “level playing field” - for that read we adopt E.U. rules and standards
3. We accept the jurisdiction of the ECJ

which of those would you give way on to get the trade deal?

At the moment the tories are not budging on any , and it’s heading for no deal ( though I believe there will be an 11th hour concession from the EU) , which may fit your tear it up and start again desire .

The rest of your wishes can be met because we will be independent of the EU and have British people electing British politicians making British Law. If you don’t like them, vote them out. That’s why I voted leave.

And that is where we disagree. I find that the eu are as bad as the government we have now. What have they done to assist their members during this pandemic?

I totally agree with your comment about the government saying we’re out now, I’ve had to point it out to several people that what these liars say and what is reality are polar opposites. It’s a joke.

You've shocked me Walt, you've never mentioned you where all for brexit before, I thought you where a remainer.

ha ha ha Winky

Thought I was a remainer? NEVER
But never mind I still think 'You are absolutely fabulous'
Can you pass on too Lost in Space
We ARE already out, just to decide if we have a Trade Deal or WTO terms
Myself I still suspect there will be a deal, because it’s in both sides best Interests

BUT if not WTO will ‘do’ for me