PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaholly

Admin Support
Staff member
Patron
CURRENT SQUAD

GK: Matthew Hudson (New contract until June 2022)
GK: Connor Ripley (Contracted to June 2022)
GK: Declan Rudd (New contract until June 2023)

DF: Ben Davies (Contracted to June 2021)
DF: Paul Huntington (Contracted to June 2021)
DF: Darnell Fisher (Contracted to June 2021)
DF: Jordan Storey (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Joe Rafferty (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Patrick Bauer (Contracted to June 2022)
DF: Andrew Hughes (New Contract to July 2022)
DF: Josh Earl (New Contract to July 2023)

MF: Paul Gallagher (New contract to June 2021)
MF: Ben Pearson (Contracted to June 2021)
MF: Alan Browne (Contracted to June 2021)
MF: Daniel Johnson (Contracted to June 2021)
MF: Jack Baxter (Contracted to June 2022)
MF: Brad Potts (Contracted to June 2022)
MF: Tom Bayliss (Contracted to June 2023)
MF: Ryan Ledson (New Contract to June 2023)
MF: Josh Harrop (New Contract to June 2023)
MF: Adam O'Reilly (New Contract to July 2023)

MF/FW: Billy Bodin (Contracted to June 2021)
MF/FW: Tom Barkhuizen (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Scott Sinclair (Contracted to June 2022)
MF/FW: Ethan Walker (Contracted to June 2022)

FW: Louis Moult (Contracted to June 2021)
FW: David Nugent (Contracted to June 2021)
FW: Jayden Stockley (Contracted to June 2022)
FW: Sean Maguire (New Contract to June 2023)
FW: Emil Riis Jakobsen (Contracted to June 2024)

INCOMING
FW: Emil Riis Jakobsen (Contracted to June 2024) Signed from Randers FC

OUTGOING
GK: Michael Crowe (Released) Signed for Viking FK.
DF: Tom Clark (Released) Signed for Salford City.
DF: Jack Armer (Released) Signed for Carlisle United
DF: Kevin O'Connor (Released) Signed for Cork City
MF: Graham Burke (Contract June 2021) Full Season Loan to Shamrock Rovers
FW: Connor Simpson (Released) Signed for Cork City.
MF/FW: Josh Ginnelly (Loan) End of season loan to Hearts.
MF/FW: Ethan Walker (Loan) End of season loan to Carlisle.
MF: Jack Baxter (Loan) January Loan to Chorley.

For previous transfer window summaries, please visit this page

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so the only players out of contract this season are Clarke and Gally. Both are not going to be in high demand from other clubs at our level, so we either let them go/retire, or given them small deals.

Loads of work to be done before next Summer, but given we still have a chance of the Prem and the COVID situation, I'ld say this doesnt look too bad for where we sit right now.

Didn’t quite realise how many are out of contract next summer. 17 lads. Need to get very busy on the contract front or we could be in if trouble!

not trying to start anything, but it’d be great if we looked to sign from abroad; with Neil speaking of the German league, and having Bauer it’d give us more of a chance bringing abroad players over, hopefully. I’m really clutching on straws here.

Reactions: SF
Luke Garbutt & Eric Lichaj, two full backs on frees maybe worth having a look at? using Clarke's wage.

I’ve heard there’s been a few rumours of Callum Johnson from Accrington, we was after him last summer if I recall, but ended up signing Rafferty instead. But seeing as Neil now looks at Rafferty as a LB, Johnson could be a good coup for competition at RB

Separate thread for rumours, links, wishlists etc to keep the Overview thread clear for confirmations.

I’ve heard there’s been a few rumours of Callum Johnson from Accrington, we was after him last summer if I recall, but ended up signing Rafferty instead. But seeing as Neil now looks at Rafferty as a LB, Johnson could be a good coup for competition at RB
Not exactly what I would call a coup. A player currently playing for Accrington. And I don’t think Neil sees Rafferty as a LB, it’s just where he’s been required to play.

Luke Garbutt & Eric Lichaj, two full backs on frees maybe worth having a look at? using Clarke's wage.

Having Lichaj around the squad would definitely be an upgrade on Rafferty.

I wondered if we’d go back in for Max Lowe given Derby would perhaps feel the effects of Covid more than anyone, but given the emergence of Louis Sibley, I think they’ve got their finances covered at least in the short term.

If we wasn’t to go up and I’d think prem teams would come in for Ben Davies and Pearson. Morgan Fox from Sheffield Wednesday is a very good ball playing CB who is only 26, could be an option

AN isn’t talking about the German league in the context of our recruitment.

We don’t have the scouting infrastructure to properly scout and recruit from abroad. It would need investment in order to put it in place. And given that an expansion of our scouting and recruitment system wasn’t on the cards pre-Coronavirus and its financial impact, it certainly won’t be on the cards now either.

I suspect we will be looking at free transfers only and I have only heard a couple of names we’ve looked at so far. Perhaps some money might be available if we sell multiple players who have a year left on their contract. Right now it’s hard to say how it will pan out.

IMO we need to downsize the squad ahead of next season. I think this crisis has shown that we have far too many contracted players who aren’t really involved.

AN isn’t talking about the German league in the context of our recruitment.

We don’t have the scouting infrastructure to properly scout and recruit from abroad. It would need investment in order to put it in place. And given that an expansion of our scouting and recruitment system wasn’t on the cards pre-Coronavirus and its financial impact, it certainly won’t be on the cards now either.

I suspect we will be looking at free transfers only and I have only heard a couple of names we’ve looked at so far. Perhaps some money might be available if we sell multiple players who have a year left on their contract. Right now it’s hard to say how it will pan out.

IMO we need to downsize the squad ahead of next season. I think this crisis has shown that we have far too many contracted players who aren’t really involved.
I knew I was clutching at straws there. If we aren’t to go up, a few of our key players will be off. As well as getting rid of players who are just not good enough. I can see it being a massive overhaul this summer, no matter what league we are in.

I knew I was clutching at straws there. If we aren’t to go up, a few of our key players will be off. As well as getting rid of players who are just not good enough. I can see it being a massive overhaul this summer, no matter what league we are in.

For what it’s worth I agree that we have to widen the pool of players we can sign, and that means looking abroad. We often hear that the club are struggling to compete in the domestic market, especially for strikers. This is understandable but then there is no plan B. We just carry on with what we’ve got (which isn’t good enough).

Similar sized clubs have done it successfully at this level and the investment in their scouting has paid for itself because some of the signings have been sold for big money.

I just do not expect it to happen under the current regime, especially in the current and upcoming post-Coronavirus economic climate.

For what it’s worth I agree that we have to widen the pool of players we can sign, and that means looking abroad. We often hear that the club are struggling to compete in the domestic market, especially for strikers. This is understandable but then there is no plan B. We just carry on with what we’ve got (which isn’t good enough).

Similar sized clubs have done it successfully at this level and the investment in their scouting has paid for itself because some of the signings have been sold for big money.

I just do not expect it to happen under the current regime, especially in the current and upcoming post-Coronavirus economic climate.
I take Brentford as a exact team who have done it correctly, if we was able to get a scouting system that can bring in players like Maupay and Benrahma for cheap like they can, rather than being ripped off in the domestic market, then I really think that’ll be a great next step. Just a shame that the club wouldn’t be thinking towards that, especially now COVID has happened.

If we don't go up, the reality is we're going to need to make some replacements. A new DM, proven midfield enforcer, left footed CB and maybe more will be required at a minimum. Otherwise we're in trouble.

As for other positions, we still need a full back or two and a striker. Garbutt and Lichaj are great shouts, especially the former.

We often hear that the club are struggling to compete in the domestic market, especially for strikers.

This isn't even true. We can compete, we choose not too. And it's infuriating, and will prove costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.