PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Derby - 5000th League Game - 1/7/20 KO:17:00 - Championship

Cause a full sprint in the 90th minute could mean a muscle injury and there goes your live away from the club doubling your wages.

Just look at the performance of Alan Browne. Clear as day some of these shirking bastards have moves away lined up.

I think that Browne's been below par for most of the season. Losing his No.10 spot to DJ at the start of the season and the fact that we've largely stopped playing the high press for fear of injurieseem to have hit his confidence and form.

I think that's harsh on a young lad who, like others at the club, is lacking game time to bring them on. He's made only 5 league appearances this season, and 4 of those was in a losing run in November when pretty much the whole side were poor. I don't see the point in signing promising young players from lower league sides in the hope that the odd bounce game, and even rarer first team appearance will get them to a consistent Championship level.

23 in September, doesn't look like making it here.

Can't just bed in young players if they're not good enough when we're going for top six, so like you say, why sign them?

Put the money into signing good loan players who you won't be stuck with for 3 or 4 years.

It's not like we reinvest transfer fees if they turn out to be any good.

23 in September, doesn't look like making it here.

Can't just bed in young players if they're not good enough when we're going for top six, so like you say, why sign them?

Put the money into signing good loan players who you won't be stuck with for 3 or 4 years.

It's not like we reinvest transfer fees if they turn out to be any good.

The good loan market does seem the way to go imo. We buy too many ‘nice’ lads who give their best, won’t cause any problems, but ultimately not good enough to get us over the line.

The good loan market does seem the way to go imo. We buy too many ‘nice’ lads who give their best, won’t cause any problems, but ultimately not good enough to get us over the line.

We will have to next season because I doubt we’ll be buying for fees. Use of loans will be vital.

As for our lads being too nice I agree, especially in the final third. Seen some people call Brewster everything under the sun for shushing our fans and etc. and he does come across as an arse, but most top strikers have that aggression and nasty side to their game.

We’ve not had any aggression in the final third since Hugill left.

Last edited:
Harrop cant get in the team, never mind be allowed to pick it !!!! But anyone who knows anything about footy could do a better job than Neil at the moment!!!!
You are contradicting yourself a tad here and missing the point of my post.
The reason that Harrop is not in the team is precisely because he does not like to only play predictable sequence football. He has a touch of individuality and flare that the manager likes to knock out of players in his teams, but I argue that, that individuality and flare is exactly what is missing...hence my post.

You do start to think that there is a dose of favouritism in the dressing room

I think that there is a bit of that, but it's more about the way that the owner has the club set up, without an academy or reserve side to bring them on.

It seems as if TH has this aspiration of signing youngsters comparatively cheaply, developing them into better players, and then selling them on at a profit. That worked with Hugill and Robinson, and may yet happen in the next few weeks with Pearson, Browne, Johnson and Davies (though the latter came through our youth team). All of them got regular first team games, four of them when we were in League 1. The Championship seems to be a harder place to do that in, particularly if you're not going to spend the money to create an academy or do what Brentford do. So we just let Storey, Ledson, Bayliss, Ginnelly, and even Potts, languish on the bench making the odd cameo appearance while watching their careers go backwards.

I think some of the flack on here is justified but mostly it's plain unfair. 3 games in since lockdown, Luton have managed a lucky draw with us at home, then beaten Swansea away and drawn with Leeds, clearly a team in form despite their league position. Cardiff beat Leeds beat us, then have drawn with Charlton , maybe feeling the pressure a bit now they are in the top 6? Derby are on a winning run, now 5 in a row and tbh are probable play off contenders. Also Rooney is probably on more a week than our entire starting 11. Yes the club is run as a tight ship and it's understandable that some are frustrated by the lack of reinvestment on some big player sales BUT... Look 12 / 18 months and I can see a well run financially club like ours prospering, with a squad on comparable wages to other clubs, transfer fees are going to fall dramatically and the whole game is going to get a massive wake up call. Football has been living in a bubble for a long time and it has now burst. Wigan will be the first of many going into administration this summer I fear and you could quite easily see the relegated championship clubs this season being three clubs with 12 point deductions. So it's disappointing but although the lady is clearing her throat, she hasn't yet sung and anything can happen in the last 6 games! COYW

Last night, it looked like men against boys at times, but when you looked at the ages, Derby had a far younger team than us, infact 5 of their team were from their youth academy. Louie Sibley is 18, played 5 first team games and we felt the need to have our best player, Pearson man mark him. He didn’t do a great job of it as Sibley absolutely ran the game until he was substituted. Bird, Knight, Bogle and Lowe all came through their academy.

We have Walker, O’Relly and Baxter but they don’t even get to be a sub even now when we’re allowed 9 subs. I’m not saying they are better than the first teamers, but we‘ll never know if they’re not given any encouragement. I’m sure Derby had no idea if any of their academy players were good enough until they gave them their chance. It’s still down to the young lads to take their chance when it’s offered. If we played Walker he could be overawed by the occasion, but he could also be a revelation. If we don’t give him or the others a chance, we’ll never know.

We will have to next season because I doubt we’ll be buying for fees. Use of loans will be vital.

As for our lads being too nice I agree, especially in the final third. Seen some people call Brewster everything under the sun for shushing our fans and etc. and he does come across as an arse, but most top strikers have that aggression and nasty side to their game.

We’ve not had an aggression in the final third since Hugill left.

Totally agree, Brewster is a great example. He really wound our fans up by his antics, but he was head and shoulders better than anything we have.

We’ve not had an aggression in the final third since Hugill left.
I totally agree that failing to sign a forward in January was a big miss but even if we had I’m not sure that would have made a big difference at the moment.
Bristol City, Rovers and to some extent QPR all invested in what they believed to be quality forwards and they are all sinking just as fast as us.
I can’t speak for the other clubs but it seems obvious that since our bad run started something is not right in the squad and the team set up has been woeful at times.

Totally agree, Brewster is a great example. He really wound our fans up by his antics, but he was head and shoulders better than anything we have.

Not just us, I've seen him do it to other fans as well. We'd absolutely love it if one of our players was doing that.

We’ve not had any aggression in the final third since Hugill left.
Stockley showed that he can be aggressive and bully the CBs against the Plastics, Charlton and Huddersfield earlier in the season. But he can’t seem to do it consistently for some reason.

You are contradicting yourself a tad here and missing the point of my post.
The reason that Harrop is not in the team is precisely because he does not like to only play predictable sequence football. He has a touch of individuality and flare that the manager likes to knock out of players in his teams, but I argue that, that individuality and flare is exactly what is missing...hence my post.
I was not disagreeing with you, as i said, anyone could do better than Neil, but taking your post on face value as it was typed, if he wont allow Harrop to play, as is the case because he rarely starts, he is hardly going to let him pick the team. Lets also add that under Neils management anyone with any flair at all has it completely coached out of them, what you end up with is a group of eleven players all looking like rabbits caught in the headlights!!

Stockley showed that he can be aggressive and bully the CBs against the Plastics, Charlton and Huddersfield earlier in the season. But he can’t seem to do it consistently for some reason.
He only looks average against dire centre backs, to be honest even if he was any good, (which is not the case at this level) we get very few decent balls to him and nobody around him for the knock downs if any !! When you put those stats through the percentages, 10% reasonable usable crosses, 10% successful knock downs, 10% someone around to make use of them, you end up with around a goal every 5 games which when you are conceding 2 a game is relegation form.

It is being said that Wigwam’s problems are that they were taken over by people from Hong Kong and with the troubles they are having there they haven’t been heard of for a few weeks?
If that is true I think it strengthens my whole point. (not aimed at what you have said)

but Neil picks Nmecha, Barker and Greene and doesn't play them or plays them in the wrong positions, who would trust Neil with one of their bright young players?

IF Hemmings wanted to make a statement of intent, and that he wants to get us to the PL, he would sack AN today and have a new manager in by Saturday. A bit like Middlesbrough making the statement that they wanted to stay up and bringing Warnock in.