PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Is it time for Hemmings to finally go?

Yes and yes but the fact remains promotion saved them big time.
Fair play though as since then, they seem to be a properly run club and have become established in the Premier league.
I don't begrudge their success and would much rather see them up there than Blackburn.

Worth remembering one of the key cogs of that side was their captain.

Someone with a wealth of experience in the championship whose posistion was altered to make the most of his abilities in the later years of his career.

They bought him for about 100 grand.

He then played pretty much every game the following season in the Premier League.

I wonder where you could have purchased such a key player?

All this despite the selling clubs chairman at the time saying his legs had gone and a manager who was paranoid about having strong characters in his dressing room.

This about arguably that clubs only modern era legend and they ended up bringing him back.

Any ideas?

Someone with a wealth of experience in the championship whose posistion was altered to make the most of his abilities in the later years of his career.

He then played pretty much every game the following season in the Premier League.

All this despite the selling clubs chairman at the time saying his legs had gone and a manager who was paranoid about having strong characters in his dressing room.

This about arguably that clubs only modern era legend and they ended up bringing him back.

Any ideas?
It's a mystery isn't it.

The problem with posts like this is that you are only able to look at a static picture of Preston North End FC. To get a feel of why many of us are concerned, look at the trends.

How can you not be concerned with the trend of selling our top players without replacement, how can you not be concerned with our embarrassing approach to scouting, how can you not be concerned with an owner unwilling to compete financially with our competitors, how can you not be concerned with the club outright lying to supporters who campaigned heartily to have a new training ground built.

It is feasible to think that we could lose Rudd, Davies, Fisher, Pearson, Browne, DJ and Barky in the next couple of years. If they were replaced with the same lethargy with which Robinson & Hugill were 'replaced' we will have transformed an extremely promising young side into relegation fodder in the space of only a few years.

If that does happen are we as fans supposed to be thankful for the ride? Glad that a small club like PNE could play above their level in the championship? Why is it so upsetting to you that people want their club to be succesful

Please can we have a new owner who will pay lots of money to TH and who is super intelligent and more cleverer than the one at Brentford and who has loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of spare money to buy us some new expensive players and pay their wages whatever they want doesn’t matter so that we can get promotion to the Premier league because we are PNE.

Aaaaaaaaaand can he build us a new training ground as well aaaaaaaaaaand can he be really really good to the fans and talk to them all the time and explain what is happening.

That’s all.

Aaaaaaaaaand hurry up !

Thank you.

Please can we have a new owner who will pay lots of money to TH and who is super intelligent and more cleverer than the one at Brentford and who has loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of spare money to buy us some new expensive players and pay their wages whatever they want doesn’t matter so that we can get promotion to the Premier league because we are PNE.

Aaaaaaaaaand can he build us a new training ground as well aaaaaaaaaaand can he be really really good to the fans and talk to them all the time and explain what is happening.

That’s all.

Aaaaaaaaaand hurry up !

Thank you.

'You can have a £10m striker or a new training ground.'

We have neither. If youre happy with the owner of your team taking the piss out of you so he can build some houses then so be it, unfortunately most of us arent that gullible.

All of our local rivals have had stints in the prem. And before you come up with the predictable 'well look at Bolton/ Wigan now.' All clubs experience peaks and troughs, unless wiped fully out of existence, the life of a football club is cyclical.

Blackburn's peak was winning the Premier League, Wigan's peak was winning the FA Cup, Bolton's Peak was the knockout stages of the UEFA Cup, Wigan's peak was winning the FA Cup, PNE's peak was finishing 7th in the second division. Forgive me for not being too grateful for that.

We have neither. If youre happy with the owner of your team taking the piss out of you so he can build some houses then so be it, unfortunately most of us arent that gullible.

All of our local rivals have had stints in the prem. And before you come up with the predictable 'well look at Bolton/ Wigan now.' All clubs experience peaks and troughs, unless wiped fully out of existence, the life of a football club is cyclical.

Blackburn's peak was winning the Premier League, Wigan's peak was winning the FA Cup, Bolton's Peak was the knockout stages of the UEFA Cup, Wigan's peak was winning the FA Cup, PNE's peak was finishing 7th in the second division. Forgive me for not being too grateful for that.
I agree the life of a football club is cyclical.
Unfortunately as a PNE supporter, I'll probably go to my grave having seen Halley's fookin comet more often than watching us play in the Premier league.

Can't believe Wigan managed it twice. Lucky bastards

Sorry I believe it was a tied vote - I tried to get that post deleted and / or couldn't delete it using Windows Mobile , there was nothing remotely vindictive on the Football League's part .

Apparently Wigan canvassed well for election into the Football League and won the second ballot by nine votes .

Good article - the jist is that there was a bit of a old pal's act , with some clubs * allegedly keeping clubs in the Football League tier , and also the votes would be split for the non league teams , some of the southern based teams apparently were good clubs

You could argue that the present system is fairer , the only counter argument I know is that some non - league clubs can buy their way in , Salford is used as one example , I believe Crawley were hated along with Rushden & Diamonds but that went seriously wrong .

I respect what FC United did , people didn't like the debt leaden Glazer family model , so people pooled their money and formed their own club . I believe that 900 people applied to play for the team which was whittled down to 200 for trials and 17 were eventually chosen to play .

Same goes for AFC Wimbledon over MK Dons .

Bit on Southport's demise https://southportfc.net/the-non-league-years-7879-to-date/

On the other hand you could say The Class of '92 Man United players are enterprising with Salford City . As Gary Nevile said , of course they're going upset some people . The plan in 2014 was Championship football within 15 ? years .

I sort of get where they're coming from . Two Cities Salford and Manchester with large catchment areas , an alternative to City and United .

" Salford City - the club co-owned by six former Manchester United team-mates - have won promotion to the English Football League for the first time in their history. "

Any ideas?

Good Interview ? https://www.lancs.live/sport/footba...am-alexander-preston-burnley-salford-16460902

“We’ve come to expect disappointment recently.“

I had a little chortle at this opening to an earlier post on this thread.

The first game I attended at Deepdale was a 0-0 draw with Plymouth Argyle, seen by some as a good result since they had given us a 7-2 beasting earlier in the season. The following season we finished runners up in the FA Cup and third in the old second division, that was disappointing!

Not many years later we were relegated to the old third division, that was disappointing, but we managed to return later following a heroic win at Fulham and then a party night against Rotherham. That wasn’t at all disappointing!

Then followed the dark ages sliding down to eventually become the worst team in the football league, now that was really disappointing.

Since then there have been limited success and some real disappointments but we are now in about the same position that we were in in 1963. Our gates are similar, the teams we play are broadly similar, the teams at the top are similar and the complaints are similar.

Nobody has come up with the answer to why a football club with relatively poor gates is not in the top echelon of English football.

That is disappointing.

Nobody has come up with the answer to why a football club with relatively poor gates is not in the top echelon of English football.

That is disappointing.

I think that we have always been afraid of pushing the boat out on strikers, they are always going to be the most expensive and there is always the chance that paying bigger wages can upset the apple cart.

On the other hand it is really depressing as of recently they have been on top in a game and unable to score, we have even recently witnessed games where we could have been three or four to the good and finished up drawing a game.

How much can a person take? 😟😂

I think that we have always been afraid of pushing the boat out on strikers, they are always going to be the most expensive and there is always the chance that paying bigger wages can upset the apple cart.

On the other hand it is really depressing as of recently they have been on top in a game and unable to score, we have even recently witnessed games where we could have been three or four to the good and finished up drawing a game.

How much can a person take? 😟😂

Not according to Brian O'Neil in NES 2.

Players don't care he said, they just want the job done and promotion.

I'm not in the right headspace to discuss this in meticulous detail without either boring people or starting a major argument, so I'll keep this as simple as possible.

You all know that I'm researching and one of the aspects of it is football in business - well if you didn't you know now. Today I've been doing some extensive research on fan retention and modernistic standards, as well as how football clubs create finance and business impacts.

I'll put it nicely - we are behind everyone else in the league, in a position where we scrape by on the bare minimum reflected in why Hemmings has to inject money into the club to keep it alive when there should be no need to had the club been run properly.

This research project is going to lead to me being prescribed some strong stuff, it's heartbreaking to work through.

The biggest kicker? Fleetwood are helping to lead the way in this area.

It's a shame I'm going to have to do independent research aside from this current work to drill down even further because I have no doubt things will get juicier the further down I go.

“We’ve come to expect disappointment recently.“

I had a little chortle at this opening to an earlier post on this thread.

The first game I attended at Deepdale was a 0-0 draw with Plymouth Argyle, seen by some as a good result since they had given us a 7-2 beasting earlier in the season. The following season we finished runners up in the FA Cup and third in the old second division, that was disappointing!

Not many years later we were relegated to the old third division, that was disappointing, but we managed to return later following a heroic win at Fulham and then a party night against Rotherham. That wasn’t at all disappointing!

Then followed the dark ages sliding down to eventually become the worst team in the football league, now that was really disappointing.

Since then there have been limited success and some real disappointments but we are now in about the same position that we were in in 1963. Our gates are similar, the teams we play are broadly similar, the teams at the top are similar and the complaints are similar.

That is disappointing.

Yes, it is disappointing:

Blackpool (average gate in season they were promoted to PL 8,611)

Burnley (first time promoted, 12,711)

Wigan (11,562)

..... examples which show it can be done - if the will is there.