PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Old PNE Songs

It was the 77/78 season when we won promotion, was a Friday night January 78.
We lost 1-0,the crowd was swelled by a huge North End following who filled the open away end and the paddock on the right hand side. That is were the bottle or can was thrown from hit the linesman on the back of the head and knocked him out.
I think he had flagged for a dubious penalty decision, but not sure on that was a while ago. 🤔
I was in the paddock bit...... I thought it finished 0-0

im sure that you are right though Wisey..

Unfortunately it was a wild night, I have witnessed violence between supporters during the height of hooliganism, but that was of a different level, none of which should have any place in football or should be associated with football.

Tommy Johnson I shagged your sister

And your mum.

There was a Tranmere goalkeeper In the 80s we used to have a laugh with when we seemed to draw them in every bleeding cup competition , as well as the league games.

Can’t remember his name, but we all claimed to have shagged his wife.

Unfortunately it was a wild night, I have witnessed violence between supporters during the height of hooliganism, but that was of a different level, none of which should have any place in football or should be associated with football.
I think that there was a lot of Everton fans in attendance.....

I was in the paddock bit...... I thought it finished 0-0

im sure that you are right though Wisey..
No definatley a 1-0 defeat bottle/can was thrown from paddock Ando. 🤔 I now seem to think they scored goal and it was blatantly off side and limesman failed to give decision?? We need some help with this one memory playing up????

No definatley a 1-0 defeat bottle/can was thrown from paddock Ando. 🤔 I now seem to think they scored goal and it was blatantly off side and limesman failed to give decision?? We need some help with this one memory playing up????
That recollection is correct. The same linesman had earlier given a penalty to Tranmere for handball when the ball had clearly been chested. Fortunately the penalty was missed but we didn't survive a second appalling decision. Doesn't excuse the bottle though.

That recollection is correct. The same linesman had earlier given a penalty to Tranmere for handball when the ball had clearly been chested. Fortunately the penalty was missed but we didn't survive a second appalling decision. Doesn't excuse the bottle though.
I thought there was a penalty incident I mentioned that earlier, it was in the 1st half the incident in front of us on the banking behind the goal, the ball hit John McMahon in the chest and the linesman flagged for a penalty.
Then I recalled something about an offside when they scored.
Memory not that bad then, we got a direct free kick late on in the 2nd half, again right in front of the North Enders.
The "Give it to Elwiss" chant went up and echoed round the ground.
I remember him hitting it like a rocket, I was jumping for joy as it looked a certain goal, it then hammered in to the post, went across goal and away to safety. 😕

I thought there was a penalty incident I mentioned that earlier, it was in the 1st half the incident in front of us on the banking behind the goal, the ball hit John McMahon in the chest and the linesman flagged for a penalty.
Then I recalled something about an offside when they scored.
Memory not that bad then, we got a direct free kick late on in the 2nd half, again right in front of the North Enders.
The "Give it to Elwiss" chant went up and echoed round the ground.
I remember him hitting it like a rocket, I was jumping for joy as it looked a certain goal, it then hammered in to the post, went across goal and away to safety. 😕
I was behind the goal as well and had a good view of the ball hitting his chest. It turned out to be one of those nights on which we played the better football but just couldn't score. At least we got promoted that season though.
I got to the game on a football special train. Not many of those these days.

I was behind the goal as well and had a good view of the ball hitting his chest. It turned out to be one of those nights on which we played the better football but just couldn't score. At least we got promoted that season though.
I got to the game on a football special train. Not many of those these days.
Yes great celebrations on the flag market, was the first North End promotion for me, I started going on in 1973. Had to wait a good while for another one and a good while longer for our return to the 2nd tier of English football after were relegated a few seasons later.

Yes great celebrations on the flag market, was the first North End promotion for me, I started going on in 1973. Had to wait a good while for another one and a good while longer for our return to the 2nd tier of English football after were relegated a few seasons later.
19 years of hurt to modify a song.

Mid to late '70s at away games some of the PNE crew used to sing
"Chanson d'amour
Rat-ta-tat-ta-tat"
The second line was sung whilst surging down the terracing towards the police, and making pistol shapes with their hands, pretending to shoot them. It used to really wind the police up (understandably so). I seem to recall the police at Chesterfield getting particularly irate. In those days there was little love lost between fans and the boys in blue.