PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

VAR 2019

Horrendous tackle yesterday by a Huddersfield player on Harry Arter. Could very easily have broken his leg and there was certainly intent there as well. Not even a booking. Can there not be retrospective punishment?
Not seen it, but if there wasn't a booking, then I THINK yes. Not certain though... those retrospective punishments seem to be doled out for off-the-ball incidents where the ref hasn't seen them... so maybe if the ref saw the tackle, it cannot be later punished. Maybe someone else can clarify.

Not seen it, but if there wasn't a booking, then I THINK yes. Not certain though... those retrospective punishments seem to be doled out for off-the-ball incidents where the ref hasn't seen them... so maybe if the ref saw the tackle, it cannot be later punished. Maybe someone else can clarify.
Paddy has confirmed what you thought. If the ref saw the tackle then nothing can be decided retrospectively.
I don't agree, "tackles" like that shouldn't go unpunished. It was closer to being an assault than a tackle. The Huddersfield player knew exactly what he was doing.

Quote below is from thefa.com.... gives more detail of paddy's view - which is almost certainly correct unless the ref had an obscured view (hard, but not impossible to believe given that he awarded a freekick). This text (from 2018) does also mention an exceptional circumstance - so in principle it can be possible for a 'seen' challenge to be retrospectively punished (it mentions the Ben Thatcher case) - but it doesn't explain that bit, and the link provided won't work for me... so slightly unclear... but it certainly looks like there is very little chance of retribution - except perhaps for some of Harry Arter's mates to isolate the Huddersfield player in a dark alley somewhere 😁

Firstly, it’s important to state that the principal objective behind retrospective action is to punish players who have clearly committed a red card offence ‘off the ball’.

It is not designed to ‘re-referee’ tackles but can be applied if an act of violent conduct or serious foul play occurred secondary to the challenge or if the match officials’ view of the specific misconduct was unclear.

In order for The FA to take retrospective action it must first establish from the match officials whether the incident was ‘not seen’. If they confirm they did see it then in almost all cases no further action is taken.

There are extraordinary exceptions, such as in the case involving Ben Thatcher [Manchester City versus Portsmouth in 2006]. If it is confirmed the match officials did not see the incident, The FA convenes a panel of three ex-professional referees and asks them to review the video footage independently of one another.

Only in circumstances where the panel members are unanimous will the player be charged. For more information visit:

www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/rulebook-analysis/not-seen-incidents

Quote (about the handball rule) from Steve Bruce:

"We have got away with murder today. Our goalkeeper has been fantastic but we have been fortunate. I was shaking my head wth Roy Hodgson and maybe we can do something about it. It is wrong."

Quote (about the handball rule) from Steve Bruce:

"We have got away with murder today. Our goalkeeper has been fantastic but we have been fortunate. I was shaking my head wth Roy Hodgson and maybe we can do something about it. It is wrong."
I do like Bruce. Refreshingly honest.

Horrendous tackle yesterday by a Huddersfield player on Harry Arter. Could very easily have broken his leg and there was certainly intent there as well. Not even a booking. Can there not be retrospective punishment?

This needs to be a policy in conjunction with VAR, no doubt VAR would have sent him off but an extra layer of protection for any contentious decisions would help.

Not watched the Merseyside derby... just kept bbc text commentary on one screen whilst I worked on another.

89th minute... sending off. Going to be a long minutes of injury time for Everton.

91st minute GOAAALLLLLLLLLLL

92nd minute.. Oh... hang on.

94th minute... No. Mane is an inch off-side

I was actually pleased Liverpool's goal was chalked off - but just piss right off. VAR destroys another emotional moment. It's shite.

Not watched the Merseyside derby... just kept bbc text commentary on one screen whilst I worked on another.

89th minute... sending off. Going to be a long minutes of injury time for Everton.

I was actually pleased Liverpool's goal was chalked off - but just piss right off. VAR destroys another emotional moment. It's shite.
Agree with you.
I suppose if supporters had been present Evertonians would have been celebrating as if they had scored.
Don't like it though.

It was his arse cheek that was off side, Bin it, it’s Shite

I don't get how Pickford didn't get sent off and how Mane could possibly be offside. I thought after last seasons ridiculous offside decisions some sense would have returned. But apparently not.

122002988_10157241981051945_8542793622345891017_n.jpg

I don't get how Pickford didn't get sent off and how Mane could possibly be offside. I thought after last seasons ridiculous offside decisions some sense would have returned. But apparently not.
Apparently worse!! This season they changed the handball rules to make life easier for VAR - and now you can score with the top part of your arm.
So an attacker with their arm naturally swinging out like Mane.. now considered to be “seeking to gain an advantage” by having that upper arm protruding over the imaginary line.
What a dog’s breakfast. They are chasing their tails trying to make VAR work.

Apparently worse!! This season they changed the handball rules to make life easier for VAR - and now you can score with the top part of your arm.
So an attacker with their arm naturally swinging out like Mane.. now considered to be “seeking to gain an advantage” by having that upper arm protruding over the imaginary line.
What a dog’s breakfast. They are chasing their tails trying to make VAR work.
If they only used VAR to pick up on something “clear and obvious” that was missed by the on pitch officials I could live with it and may end even support it.

If they only used VAR to pick up on something “clear and obvious” that was missed by the on pitch officials I could live with it and may end even support it.
In principle, that would be an improvement but honestly can’t see how you get past the “grey area” issue. It’s ok with goal-line technology - but for other decisions it’s so hard to know where to draw the line.

Maybe the test should be to have, say, 4 referees who watch the game on tv in real time - and can only review a decision if at least 3 feel sure that they would have given a different decision if they were onfield - then review replays with the criteria being that all four refs feel 100% sure that they would take a different decision. Can’t afford 4 good refs at every game though.

Penalties I would not have given this weekend - Rashford got one and Mitrovic either got one or gave one away- can’t remember - but two players went for a ball - the attacker kicked it upwards and the defender accidentally kicked the underside of attackers leg Both technically defender’s boot on attacker’s leg. But not what should constitute a clear foul IMO.

The Bamford goal ruled out for off-side. WTF? (All he's doing is pointing where he wants the ball, and his upper arm is deemed to be off-side... photo in the link below).

Lineker just said he tweeted earlier to ask what people thought of VAR and of those 250,000 who responded (who I suppose are self-selecting) 70% said they wanted it binned.