PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Chippy Tea: How Do You Eat Yours?

This could be a good thread
Where my friend
Barton I think is not that good but ones mans lightly battered is another mans triple fried chips

I'm talking about Barton good sir. Had West End's offerings plenty of times and, while good, doesn't compare to Barton for me. Greasier IMO.

I know it's wrong. But 9 times out of 10... it's curry.

When did they ban newspaper? I'd take a guess at about 73?

I know it's wrong. But 9 times out of 10... it's curry.

When did they ban newspaper? I'd take a guess at about 73?
Not that long ago, our local was still using newspaper 6 or 7 years ago. The owner was a weirdo though and I suspect he was contravening at least one H&S rule.

At least you could get curry or gravy though! That was in a polystyrene pot, not the paper. 😀

Been a while since I had a chippy tea, but love cheese and onion pie, chips, onion rings, and mushy peas. With salt and vinegar, bread and butter, and HP sauce. :)

Someone must be able to make a row out of this, cmon...

Btw you can't put anything wet on a 'bag of chips'; it'd just make a mess!

Last edited:
Chips and gravy in a tray with vinegar and no salt. That's the way forward.
I'm the opposite, Mark. Plenty of salt, but never vinegar.
Chips, meat and spud pie and gravy is my choice. Plus two slices of bread to make additional chip butties with if extra hungry.
Cup of tea to go with it - never coffee.

Is this being tight, generous or wasteful? My missus will always say 'how about you get this, I'll get that, and we can share the chips'? I never, ever share my chips and tell my missus she's not having ANY off my plate but would gladly buy her her own portion of chips even knowing some of them will end up in the bin. I do the same with take-away curries if ever she suggests sharing the rice or naan breads. I'll gladly pay the extra if it means eating my own chippy tea in peace. My missus says tight and wasteful. I say generous.

Best chippy in Preston (well, just outside actually) is the Barton Chinese Takeaway. Fish is to fucking die for. Someone once tried to tell me the Happy Haddock topped it. Yeah right, it's fucking gash.

My usual order is/was fish, chips, mushy peas and curry sauce with salt and lashings of vinegar. Keep gravy away from me unless the fish is absent.

Is it racist to say that I have never ever had “top” fish and chips from a Chinese takeaway?!