PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Is it time?

He needs to start that Riis for a kick-off. You can see the boy is champing at the bit to be amongst it. I’ll be fucked off if he isn’t given a start in the next 3 games.

I do feel like Neil can do no wrong in some people’s eyes when it’s clear he has obvious flaws. I’m pro-Neil FWIW. Think if he had a bigger budget we’d make the top 6. But does that make him a really, really good manager at this level? Not sure. The best managers this league has seen over the years have done more with just as little.

It’s not about Neil doing no wrong. Countless managers have tried to get us out of this division and, every year, it’s getting harder and harder for us to compete, given the market and the restrictions put on us by the owner.

We’ve got a manager that has had us competing every season and people want him sacked!

All this whilst losing his best players and having league one players replace them.

People need a serious reality check, especially 5 games into a new season.

It’s not about Neil doing no wrong. Countless managers have tried to get us out of this division and, every year, it’s getting harder and harder for us to compete, given the market and the restrictions put on us by the owner.

We’ve got a manager that has had us competing every season and people want him sacked!

All this whilst losing his best players and having league one players replace them.

People need a serious reality check, especially 5 games into a new season.

I wasn’t saying what it is or isn’t about, I was suggesting that to criticise Neil seems like anathema to some people, which I think is silly.

People should be allowed to express disappointment in some of the stuff Neil does if they have sufficient reason to do so. He isn’t beyond reproach just because our owner is a miser.

Neil has many positives.

He also has many faults.

I am still Pro - Neil. 💪

He has, however, got to iron out pdq his deficiencies imo. He isn't wet behind the ears anymore...

Hasn’t this actually been proven to not be the case i.e. home advantage, statistically speaking, does still exist even without the presence of fans?

Pretty sure there’s still a sizeable disparity between amount of home and away wins throughout the leagues. Remember reading something a few years ago that playing on the same pitch every other week can have a positive influence on player performance.

I thought the opposite was true, hence saying it. That said, looking it up it seems that it still exists but is lessened, so fair. Definitely something to be said for playing on your own pitch. Or at least there should be- we seem determined to disagree right now.

I actually wonder if the contract (non?) negotiations of the B5 is unsettling the rest of team?

It shouldn't as it isn't any of their business but footballers are a strange breed when it comes to £££s...

Be interesting to see if any of them get better offers if we’re down there come Jan!

Doesn't mean it would work for us and if you think our football is dire then you need to start watching Burnley's.

1 team out of basically the entire football league doesn't support the 2 up top argument.
Yeah I agree that they don't excactly have a great deal of flair about them, they've built themselves up to be a very difficult side to break down. They do posess a threat though an I'd have happily swapped places with them over the last few years. Rivals or not, you can only admire what they have done, even if they did take a huge gamble, it paid off

I wasn’t saying what it is or isn’t about, I was suggesting that to criticise Neil seems like anathema to some people, which I think is silly.

People should be allowed to express disappointment in some of the stuff Neil does if they have sufficient reason to do so. He isn’t beyond reproach just because our owner is a miser.

I completely agree. But Neil out threads after every defeat (and we will lose games) are tiring.

Neil has many positives.

He also has many faults.

I am still Pro - Neil. 💪

He has, however, got to iron out pdq his deficiencies imo. He isn't wet behind the ears anymore...
I dont think anyone is blindly suggesting that he is infallible and it is impossible not to find issues with our home form this calendar year but...

As I pointed out earlier if he had changed it up from Brentford and we had still gotten beat the same posters would be criticising him for not sticking with the same team.

It's fairly easy to understand most of the decisions he makes. It doesn't make them right but there are too many people that refuse to accept there is reasoning behind them. We saw the same after the Swansea game.

Who called you an arsehole? I certainly didn't.

As for being obsessed with my own posts not sure where that comes from either.

You where talking about folk getting on the back of a new player, apologies for not reading every single post. I thought it would obviously be Riis? Sorry if it wasn't.

You keep referring to knee jerk reactions.. its not knee jerk to be concerned with our home form which has been poor for some time.
I didn't "say" you called me an arsehole, JK. Your post automatically (suggestively) bestowed that 'honour' on me, or can you not see that ? I can handle that BTW.

This is my post that you took exception to :

Don't know about strikers. The level on negativity on here is certainly deadly. Our new man has just got started; FFS can't we wait and see what effect he's going to have ? Thought he looked very promising. If BFG's header had gone to the right of their keeper (who was going left), would there have been all this doom-mongering.

There's nothing there about anyone getting on the back of Riis. The comment was referring to the team performance as a whole and my point was
lets wait and see what effect Riis has after he's started a few games.

(knee jerk) Didn't we just have a good result against Brentford ? Wasn't everyone positive (or most people anyway ?). Trevor has just stumped up for a new striker and we got new training facilities. How do you think the management and players will feel reading through some of this stuff ? Some of it is knee jerk. Too quick to be negative. Some clubs won't even be in business soon and we're moaning because Cardiff beat us one nil at home.

@Realistic

I think many peoples ire today / tonight is the distinct lack of home goals so far this season.

Added that people cannot attend either Home or Away and it was always going to produce a deadly cocktail. Pun intended.

The thing that disappointed me the most is when Cunningham went off and Cardiff played Bacuna at left back......a position he’d never played before and we never put him under any pressure. If I could see it, I certainly expect our Manager to see it, and act upon it.
Thing is that didn't even change when we brought Barky on and he failed to get into the game.

If Fisher had been on the pitch we would have had Bacuna pinned back.

Really is a waste of time discussing this... but here's one last try.

The current home tactics are a failure, and have been since xmas. On that at least we are agreed.

"Selections are part of tactics" - sure.

But so is setting up with 1 up front and a bone-headed, boring, uncreative tactic every single week at Deepdale, hoping we might achieve the twin miracles of a clean sheet and a goal.

You can pretend we can fix this long-term problem by keeping everything exactly the same and just shuffling a few midfield options around, if you like.

But I see a much bigger systemic problem here, that a bit of squad tweaking can't fix.

Indeed, we already know a bit of squad tweaking won't fix it... because that's all AN has done with it since xmas, and it's still a complete failure.

That's how I feel we can solve it, I also advocate for Neil not playing his favourites constantly call that a tweak if you want actually call it whatever you want to devalue it and get your kicks, same Thracia as always.

I see how you are not offering up any solutions to the problem and just prefer to feed the god complex you have on PNE Online.

The thing that disappointed me the most is when Cunningham went off and Cardiff played Bacuna at left back......a position he’d never played before and we never put him under any pressure. If I could see it, I certainly expect our Manager to see it, and act upon it.
Very good point, an I mentioned something similiar earlier. A mate of mine listened to the game on Radio Lancs an Colin Greenhall who was sumarising mentioned this time an time again, particularly when Barky came on. Why did we not target this? Surely it was a weakness we could've exploited

Can you translate that, @JD
People are pissed off that they can't go. Normally they would go to the pub after and whinge with their mates. Now they are just doing it on here, and in real time, so it looks worse.

In normal times we just have Cali crying at half time then Spender used to start a negative thread 3 minutes after full time but most posters would be busy getting pissed and would have calmed down by the next morning.

I didn't "say" you called me an arsehole, JK. Your post automatically (suggestively) bestowed that 'honour' on me, or can you not see that ? I can handle that BTW.

This is my post that you took exception to :

Don't know about strikers. The level on negativity on here is certainly deadly. Our new man has just got started; FFS can't we wait and see what effect he's going to have ? Thought he looked very promising. If BFG's header had gone to the right of their keeper (who was going left), would there have been all this doom-mongering.

There's nothing there about anyone getting on the back of Riis. The comment was referring to the team performance as a whole and my point was
lets wait and see what effect Riis has after he's started a few games.

(knee jerk) Didn't we just have a good result against Brentford ? Wasn't everyone positive (or most people anyway ?). Trevor has just stumped up for a new striker and we got new training facilities. How do you think the management and players will feel reading through some of this stuff ? Some of it is knee jerk. Too quick to be negative. Some clubs won't even be in business soon and we're moaning because Cardiff beat us one nil at home.

I am slightly bemused why you have taken such an exception to my post in what was clearly a slight misunderstanding of its context.

The management and players would be bloody daft if they read the forum. As would the management and players of any football club.

At the moment there is no other way for many to get things off their chest. We can't go to the games, we can't use our frustration in a positive or a negative manner at Deepdale.

Yes we played very well in the second half at Brentford and it was a good result.

However today we where very poor for a 3rd consecutive home game this season and have only won 5 in 20. I think it is perfectly understandable that some fans are frustrated. I don't see how it's knee jerk.

Yes we have moved into a new training ground and trust me I am more aware of how beneficial that will be long term than many.

We have had some tough matches and like you (I think) reckon that Riis will have a positive impact.

However, that doesn't change the fact that had we been at Deepdale today and witnessed that performance first hand I suspect it wouldn't have been a very nice place to be.

Is it a crisis no, but for some fans to just brush it off as a one off poor performance is strange.

Last edited:
No, now is the time but that time cant be a million miles away if things dont pick up.

FWIW I think Neil deserves to be given at least 10 games more to turn things around.

Had I been on that game I would have left a long time before that game finished.