PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Team Vs QPR

Playing him up top is not playing to his strengths. You think battling with centre backs and holding the ball up is what he’s good at?

And as for the playing full back thing, take a look at where Hoilett and Ojo were when we had the ball. Hell, Harry Kane ran the length of the pitch to make a tackle. This idea that our plays our being coached only to defend is getting stale now
I think playing him up top alongside Riis is the only option we have. Maguire , Barky, Stockley is a far worse alternative as a lone striker and one with which has proved fruitless for months.
When you say it’s getting stale now , what is your point ?
My view would be that too many times we concern ourselves too much of the opposition , we step off the oppositions most creative players , we waste natural flair by being rigid in a formation and tactic. Granted this maybe because we have a squad devoid of skill and ability not helped by piss poor transfer window after another.
The latter I would guess most agree with the former I don’t , we have a decent group when all fit. They have the ability when playing the high press , allowing the 8 and 10 to run on and our wingers ala Barky of old to bomb on.
Neil has been lauded as a tactician , I would love to do a comparison between the time Neil drills our boys with the way to nullify the opposition compared to the opposition to us. I still back Neil and the club clearly did hence his uplifted contract. However it was soured for me how he played the media and us on an important day for the club at West Brom.
I hope this is another shitty post international break performance but we need to be talking more of performances like brentford 2nd half , taking the game to Sheff Wed late on , Barnsley at home sooner rather than later.
For now winning is important but I would even take an ounce of excitement in the coming matches , particularly at a crumbling fortress deepdale.
We go again

I think playing him up top alongside Riis is the only option we have. Maguire , Barky, Stockley is a far worse alternative as a lone striker and one with which has proved fruitless for months.
When you say it’s getting stale now , what is your point ?
My view would be that too many times we concern ourselves too much of the opposition , we step off the oppositions most creative players , we waste natural flair by being rigid in a formation and tactic. Granted this maybe because we have a squad devoid of skill and ability not helped by piss poor transfer window after another.
The latter I would guess most agree with the former I don’t , we have a decent group when all fit. They have the ability when playing the high press , allowing the 8 and 10 to run on and our wingers ala Barky of old to bomb on.
Neil has been lauded as a tactician , I would love to do a comparison between the time Neil drills our boys with the way to nullify the opposition compared to the opposition to us. I still back Neil and the club clearly did hence his uplifted contract. However it was soured for me how he played the media and us on an important day for the club at West Brom.
I hope this is another shitty post international break performance but we need to be talking more of performances like brentford 2nd half , taking the game to Sheff Wed late on , Barnsley at home sooner rather than later.
For now winning is important but I would even take an ounce of excitement in the coming matches , particularly at a crumbling fortress deepdale.
We go again
When I say it’s getting stale. I mean it’s getting stale. Why do people keep saying that out wingers play full back. They all contribute defensively, they aren’t playing at full backs

Why is the whole team contributing such a problem?

When I say it’s getting stale. I mean it’s getting stale. Why do people keep saying that out wingers play full back. They all contribute defensively, they aren’t playing at full backs

Why is the whole team contributing such a problem?

I can’t answer for others opinion but I do feel we have become far too compact which in turn could be perceived as negative , especially at home. The boys are clearly well drilled and I’m in no doubt that Neil has given chapter and verse to them on the player they face. This might not make sense but .... I feel that is always our Plan A and that Plan A is focused on containing the opposition rather than force the opposition into Plan B because they can’t contain us.
Some accuse Neil of favourites, Maguire up top , previously Gally on set pieces etc , despite providing little success. I think it’s less about favourites but more about how rigid he is in his belief that his tactics are the best Plan A and the players he believes are less likely to deviate get the nod in his Plan A.

I will get shot down by some on here but Harrop will never be discliplined enough for Neils Plan A but would get in mine just for unpredictability. That’s why Neil is a football manager , whereas I played champ manager years ago as a kid !

I can’t answer for others opinion but I do feel we have become far too compact which in turn could be perceived as negative , especially at home. The boys are clearly well drilled and I’m in no doubt that Neil has given chapter and verse to them on the player they face. This might not make sense but .... I feel that is always our Plan A and that Plan A is focused on containing the opposition rather than force the opposition into Plan B because they can’t contain us.
Some accuse Neil of favourites, Maguire up top , previously Gally on set pieces etc , despite providing little success. I think it’s less about favourites but more about how rigid he is in his belief that his tactics are the best Plan A and the players he believes are less likely to deviate get the nod in his Plan A.

I will get shot down by some on here but Harrop will never be discliplined enough for Neils Plan A but would get in mine just for unpredictability. That’s why Neil is a football manager , whereas I played champ manager years ago as a kid !
Now a lot of that I agree with. Our better performances come when we start being able to focus on ourselves rather than the opposition, which is why a lot of people say we only turn positive when we go behind

I don't think starting Sinclair central would get him loads more chances than he's getting now but what he needs to do is drift in far more often from that left wing spot. Playing him central would just mean he'd be picked up by one of the CB's but starting wide and moving into space should make it harder for him to be picked up.

As for Wednesday I'll have to have a think on it, but with 6 games to come by 8th November there'll be a need to keep rotating the squad i.e. using DJ, Harrop, Gallagher, Earl.

The problem we have is there first couple of times these players play they'll be getting up to speed...

4231 - or 4141... for me the latter. Ledson has been excellent this season, better than Pearo in many ways, so can't drop Pearson for a tough midweek away game. Change of formation just to give the front players a bit more support. In 4231 - Browne drops out for Ledson.

Rudd
Rafu Bauer Davies Hughes
Pearson
Barky DJ Browne Sinclair
Riis

Would have Harrop on the bench -

4231 - or 4141... for me the latter. Ledson has been excellent this season, better than Pearo in many ways, so can't drop Pearson for a tough midweek away game. Change of formation just to give the front players a bit more support. In 4231 - Browne drops out for Ledson.

Rudd
Rafu Bauer Davies Hughes
Pearson
Barky DJ Browne Sinclair
Riis

Would have Harrop on the bench -
Be surprised if Pearo's fit for Wed. He looked in a fairly bad way, didn't look like just cramp. Have we heard anything?

Be surprised if Pearo's fit for Wed. He looked in a fairly bad way, didn't look like just cramp. Have we heard anything?
No. Looked to me like a combination of cramp and getting his heel clipped. Ledson would have to play CDM if not.

——————--Rudd——————-
Rafferty Hunts Davies Hughes

———Browne Pearson———

Barky————-DJ————Sinclair

—————-—Riis——————-

Surprised so many have kept Davies in. Personally felt he was to blame for the goal on Sunday, just let Ojo run and run without getting close and Ojo just picked his spot.

Maguire cant play up front (with current tactics) especially as Alex will tell the boys to lump it up to him for 70 minutes before making a sub.

Johnson is a must.

Would like to see Riis from the start.

Rudd
Raff, Bauer, Davies, Earl
Ledson, Browne
Barky, DJ, Sinclair
Riis

Ripley, Storey, Gally, Potts, Harrop, Maguire, Stockley

Assuming Pearson and Fisher are out, and Earl/DJ are fit.

Rudd
Raff, Bauer, Davies, Earl
Ledson, Browne
Barky, DJ, Sinclair
Riis

Ripley, Storey, Gally, Potts, Harrop, Maguire, Stockley

Assuming Pearson and Fisher are out, and Earl/DJ are fit.

You obviously don’t like Hughes but there is no way he will be dropped.

You obviously don’t like Hughes but there is no way he will be dropped.

I don't mind him, and I think he's a good defensive full back. But without Fisher we lack the overlapping fullback quality and I believe Earl offers more going forward that Hughes. I don't think AN will make that change, but I'd like to see him get more minutes.

The team I think Neil will select, not necessarily the one I'd choose:

Rudd

Rafferty
Bauer
Davies
Hughes

Pearson
Ledson

Barkuizen
Browne
Sinclair

Maguire

I don't mind him, and I think he's a good defensive full back. But without Fisher we lack the overlapping fullback quality and I believe Earl offers more going forward that Hughes. I don't think AN will make that change, but I'd like to see him get more minutes.

Do you not agree that Hughes has.been overlapping far more in recent matches. So much so that he sometimes get caught out by being too far forward!

Also his aerial ability is exceptional and vital.