PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

VAR 2019

The Bamford goal ruled out for off-side. WTF? (All he's doing is pointing where he wants the ball, and his upper arm is deemed to be off-side... photo in the link below).

Lineker just said he tweeted earlier to ask what people thought of VAR and of those 250,000 who responded (who I suppose are self-selecting) 70% said they wanted it binned.

At the end of the day, wasn't VAR brought in for anything "clear and obvious" or similar?
Sorry, but some decisions are taking a couple of minutes to make. It's spoiling the game and "the moment" when a goal is scored.
Get rid.

In principle, that would be an improvement but honestly can’t see how you get past the “grey area” issue. It’s ok with goal-line technology - but for other decisions it’s so hard to know where to draw the line.

Maybe the test should be to have, say, 4 referees who watch the game on tv in real time - and can only review a decision if at least 3 feel sure that they would have given a different decision if they were onfield - then review replays with the criteria being that all four refs feel 100% sure that they would take a different decision. Can’t afford 4 good refs at every game though.

Penalties I would not have given this weekend - Rashford got one and Mitrovic either got one or gave one away- can’t remember - but two players went for a ball - the attacker kicked it upwards and the defender accidentally kicked the underside of attackers leg Both technically defender’s boot on attacker’s leg. But not what should constitute a clear foul IMO.

The big issue for me, if you concentrate on clear and obvious errors for offside, is if someone‘s offside they’re offside - whether that is an inch or a foot. The VAR people can’t ignore the fact that a player is an inch offside because even though the margin is tiny he’s clearly offside. The same with Bamford yesterday, whether or not we agree with the law, he’s offside.

I thought the West Ham was interesting as well. I’ve long thought that a centre half, with a player behind him in an offside position, is an awful position. He has to stretch and try to play the ball because he can’t take the risk to leave it in case the forward isn’t called offside or someone else runs beyond. The forward is influencing play by being in an offside position and as Brian Clough once said, what are players doing on the pitch if they’re not influencing play?

The linesmen keeping their flags down whilst a goal scoring chance is attempted is understandable in case the player isn’t offside. However, that seems to have crept into some linesmen in our league, maybe because they’re a little laissez-faire as they‘re expecting VAR. The bigger issue with that is players potentially getting injured needlessly as play develops, there was one example in the Everton game yesterday (Digne I think).

Scrap, there’s too many variables and too few positives to come from it.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, wasn't VAR brought in for anything "clear and obvious" or similar?
Sorry, but some decisions are taking a couple of minutes to make. It's spoiling the game and "the moment" when a goal is scored.
Get rid.

It's killed the game for me. I thought it was being brought in to eradicate those no contact dives, and major errors like an offside given when a defender has played the ball or a ref missing an off-the-ball elbow.

I still say we should go back to the way it was, but with team captains able to "flag" two decisions per match. Challenge the first incorrectly and you lose the second.

The big issue for me, if you concentrate on clear and obvious errors for offside, is if someone‘s offside they’re offside - whether that is an inch or a foot. The VAR people can’t ignore the fact that a player is an inch offside because even though the margin is tiny he’s clearly offside. The same with Bamford yesterday, whether or not we agree with the law, he’s offside.

I thought the West Ham was interesting as well. I’ve long thought that a centre half, with a player behind him in an offside position, is an awful position. He has to stretch and try to play the ball because he can’t take the risk to leave it in case the forward isn’t called offside or someone else runs beyond. The forward is influencing play by being in an offside position and as Brian Clough once said, what are players doing on the pitch if they’re not influencing play?

The linesmen keeping their flags down whilst a goal scoring chance is attempted is understandable in case the player isn’t offside. However, that seems to have crept into some linesmen in our league, maybe because they’re a little laissez-faire as they‘re expecting VAR. The bigger issue with that is players potentially getting injured needlessly as play develops, there was one example in the Everton game yesterday (Digne I think).

Scrap, there’s to many variables and too few positives to come from it.
Sorry can you just explain why he’s offside I’m struggling.

There is no offside there. The ones who stick up for moments like this: ‘offside is offside’ must be police officers who fine someone for driving 71 down the motorway.

It’s a complete and utter joke. That yesterday was not a clear and obvious error.

Fine if they are a yard offside disallow it but an arm pit. Jesus Christ. Give the advantage to the striker. I thought VAR was good in the World Cup a couple of years ago but that was by international standard referee’s. We have refs like David coote and simon hooper who are shocking.

In Cricket, they use ball tracker for reviewed leg before wicket decisions. They say it isn't 100% accurate, it's impossible to be. So they have areas of the ball hitting the stumps that are 100% accurate. But if the ball is judged to literally clip the stumps, they go with the onfield umpires decisions.

This could be applied in football. If you're having to put in lines to show someone's armpit as being 1mm offside, have it as the onfield officials decision. Fans, managers, players would be happier with this.

Sorry can you just explain why he’s offside I’m struggling.

There is no offside there. The ones who stick up for moments like this: ‘offside is offside’ must be police officers who fine someone for driving 71 down the motorway.

It’s a complete and utter joke. That yesterday was not a clear and obvious error.

Fine if they are a yard offside disallow it but an arm pit. Jesus Christ. Give the advantage to the striker. I thought VAR was good in the World Cup a couple of years ago but that was by international standard referee’s. We have refs like David coote and simon hooper who are shocking.

I shouldn’t need to because you’ve explained it yourself - the arm is assessed as part of the decision as to whether or not a player is offside. Disagree with that all you like but under the current law he is offside!

And no need for blasphemy.

I shouldn’t need to because you’ve explained it yourself - the arm is assessed as part of the decision as to whether or not a player is offside. Disagree with that all you like but under the current law he is offside!

And no need for blasphemy.

According to the laws the arm is not considered to determine whether a player is offside or not so they got it wrong.
You cant score with your arm (so how is that considered)

VAR has simply become a goal prevention device. The idiots at Stockley Park are actively looking at every possible means to rule out goals. It’s not fit for purpose.

The rule where if a player is level with another player he's deemed to be onside appears to have been abandoned/ changed?
Maybe we should adopt the MLS rule, where unles there is a clear gap between the players then he is onside.

According to the laws the arm is not considered to determine whether a player is offside or not so they got it wrong.
You cant score with your arm (so how is that considered)

Without having read that, they did change handball this year so that the top half of your bicep isn’t handball, so that’s the argument used here.

VAR is a good idea badly implemented.
It should be used for obvious offside decisions (not for ones that need minutes to decide using lines on screens to determine if a players eyebrows are over it), cheating 'cause some players diving would see them win a place in the Olympics 10m platform team and bad tackles that go unpunished or deserve more than a yellow card.
Part of me thinks VAR should go altogether regarding offside and go back to the old days when the ref and assistant refs called it as they saw it, good or bad. It was all part of the game when fans could celebrate and enjoy the moment or opposition fans be in uproar over the decision.
VAR should be kept regardless however for the retrospective banning of players for blatant cheating, punishable by an automatic two game ban.
The most important part of the game and why people pay their hard earned to go and watch is being spoilt.
The authorities need to have a serious rethink.

VAR has simply become a goal prevention device. The idiots at Stockley Park are actively looking at every possible means to rule out goals. It’s not fit for purpose.

I broadly agree - but the bigger issue is the laws themselves. They are, on the whole, applying the laws correctly.

I would support the offside law being changed to you can only be offside if your feet are offside.

After seeing the Bamford goal chalked off for pointing I tend to agree as anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge would see that no advantage had been gained.

I broadly agree - but the bigger issue is the laws themselves. They are, on the whole, applying the laws correctly.

I would support the offside law being changed to you can only be offside if your feet are offside.

You are right the laws are being enforced but surely common sense must dictate that Bamford gained no advantage in this instance.

I also struggle with the feet being offside, all the foot or a percentage ?

For me if your a stride ahead or stood clear you are offside not bits of the body, let the linesman call it and only get VAR involved if stand out 'clear and obvious'.

Or just fuck it off as ruining the game and more are saying the same thing the longer it continues.

You are right the laws are being enforced but surely common sense must dictate that Bamford gained no advantage in this instance.

I also struggle with the feet being offside, all the foot or a percentage ?

For me if your a stride ahead or stood clear you are offside not bits of the body, let the linesman call it and only get VAR involved if stand out 'clear and obvious'.

Or just fuck it off as ruining the game and more are saying the same thing the longer it continues.

I absolutely agree - but they aren’t going to scrap VAR. I really hope they do but I can’t see it.

I absolutely agree - but they aren’t going to scrap VAR. I really hope they do but I can’t see it.

Hope your wrong but why not it is ruining football everyone can see it.

Simplistic view but have a referendum for all football clubs and staff and season ticket holders 1 vote each with a simple bin it or not question ?

Basically let the paying punters and participants decide.

what happens if the premier league voted to bin it? Also if the EFL voted never to adopt it, can it be forced on a league?

Another one chalked off. Villa goal disallowed at Arsenal because Ross Barkley is in the goalies way. Nonsense, the keeper would never have got anywhere near the shot had there been no one else on the pitch. The goal prevention system strikes again. Get rid of it before football goes down the pan, if it hasn’t already.

Another one chalked off. Villa goal disallowed at Arsenal because Ross Barkley is in the goalies way. Nonsense, the keeper would never have got anywhere near the shot had there been no one else on the pitch. The goal prevention system strikes again. Get rid of it before football goes down the pan, if it hasn’t already.
The only time it produces goals is through those dodgy handball penalty decisions.