PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

WE NEED A UNDER 23s team

Brianjohn14

Cult Hero
Its the only way we will be able to compete and get into the premier league most championship clubs have under 23s .How are our young players going to improve and get match play to be ready to step up to to first team duties, look at Ledson now he as been given a chance after a long wait and Baylis never plays how is he going to improve without getting game time .Come on Trev show more ambition and get PNE up there were we should be .

Its the only way we will be able to compete and get into the premier league most championship clubs have under 23s .How are our young players going to improve and get match play to be ready to step up to to first team duties, look at Ledson now he as been given a chance after a long wait and Baylis never plays how is he going to improve without getting game time .Come on Trev show more ambition and get PNE up there were we should be .
That’s a bold statement!

This is a regular statement on the Youth Team thread and I fully agree with your post. If ever there was an ideal time to set up an under 23 squad it would be now, especially with the new Training Facilities. I suppose the big problem to doing it now is the ongoing COVID-19 problem, but in an ideal world, now would be the best opportunity to create an under 23 set-up.

Not sure your message is quite getting across here mate. Did you know you can underline your text too?

I suspect you are right about Cork.

We will send young players on loan there.
I see that benefitting twofold; they get game time in professional football and they also will be living away from home which helps people mature and builds character

I suspect that Cork City will effectively be our u23 team going forward.

U23s football is way too artificial and doesn't toughen young players up.
Chorleys winning goal at Wigan was scored by someone who was leading scorer for Bolton U23's who won their league, managed by David Lee, but despite this he was never considered good enough for the struggling 1st team....and a few years later is on loan @ Chorley....

A number of clubs run an U21's and this might be better option for development between 18 & 21....

We need a development squad of some sort, even Mansfield run an U21 set up.

Chorleys winning goal at Wigan was scored by someone who was leading scorer for Bolton U23's who won their league, managed by David Lee, but despite this he was never considered good enough for the struggling 1st team....and a few years later is on loan @ Chorley....

A number of clubs run an U21's and this might be better option for development between 18 & 21....

We need a development squad of some sort, even Mansfield run an U21 set up.
I've always thought we needed something, particularly if our "strategy" is to buy young players cheaply and develop them until they're ready for the first team, and then sell on.

It would be nice, but they don't run cheaply.
Most premier, championship clubs have under 23s or at least U21s we need more development of young and incoming players like Baylis ect ,why spend all that money on him and don't carry on with is development. Not playing him he will only go backwards .We don't spend much money on new signings and we are always looking for potential talent so we need a set up to improve the young players that come through .

Most premier, championship clubs have under 23s or at least U21s we need more development of young and incoming players like Baylis ect ,why spend all that money on him and don't carry on with is development. Not playing him he will only go backwards .We don't spend much money on new signings and we are always looking for potential talent so we need a set up to improve the young players that come through .
I don't disagree. I just think the club will be loathe to spend any money on it.

I wrote this back in August on exactly the same topic. Its extrememly difficult to get the level of talent required nowadays (my friends kid over in East Yorkshire was scouted by Man City when he was 6 FFS!) and a considerable expense for a far from guaranteed return.