PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lincoln city vs Preston North End - 25th March 1995

I heard a story about the build up to those play off matches. Apparently, the PNE players went to Chester Races a few days before the first leg, for a day out, a bit of a distraction from the big game I guess. Unfortunately Bury had the same idea and words were exchanged. I knew an ex Bury player and he said a certain Paul Raynor was the main culprit. No punches thrown but a few verbals.
In the 2nd leg at Gigg Lane, a Bury player was sent off after some sort of altercation with Raynor, and missed out on Wembley. Understandably, Raynor wasn't too popular with the Bury players, or Torquay, after his run in with Darren Moore.
He was one of them sort of people Raynor - loved him if he was one of you, but you hated him with a passion if he was against you , like when he came here with Rotherham as assistant manager a few years back....

Wow, what a great memory you’ve got..... I have followed North End passionately for 50+ years and I just about remember Stuart Rimmer but I can not remember Dean Emerson being here...

Emerson was a decent footballer but was gash for us.

Used to happen quite a lot!

I think it was Tony Kelly. I have recollections of him chasing Raynor after the offence that resulted in his red card.
I couldn't remember his name. But you're correct. The lad I knew was a big pal of Tony Rigby, who scored a goal from distance in the 2nd leg.

I couldn't remember his name. But you're correct. The lad I knew was a big pal of Tony Rigby, who scored a goal from distance in the 2nd leg.
It was a cracking goal to be fair, quite late on if I remember right.

The only other memory of that night was what seemed a world class save from Gary Kelly to keep a Bryson header out.

He was one of them sort of people Raynor - loved him if he was one of you, but you hated him with a passion if he was against you , like when he came here with Rotherham as assistant manager a few years back....
He was one of my favourite players at the time, especially his corner routine with Ian Bryson. I also remember one home match, just before Beck was sacked, and he subbed off Raynor and someone else, after about 15 minutes. To say Raynor was unimpressed was stating the obvious.
I know he went to Cambridge and we got Dean Barrick in return, but where did we get him from and was there a fee involved? Just looked it up, he joined us from Cambridge. After his second spell there, he went to play in China.

Last edited:
It was a cracking goal to be fair, quite late on if I remember right.

The only other memory of that night was what seemed a world class save from Gary Kelly to keep a Bryson header out.
Last minute, after we'd battered 'em for the previous 90.

He was one of my favourite players at the time, especially his corner routine with Ian Bryson. I also remember one home match, just before Beck was sacked, and he subbed off Raynor and someone else, after about 15 minutes. To say Raynor was unimpressed was stating the obvious.
I know he went to Cambridge and we got Dean Barrick in return, but where did we get him from and was there a fee involved?

Cambridge United, jj. Don't know about a fee.

I know he went to Cambridge and we got Dean Barrick in return, but where did we get him from and was there a fee involved? Just looked it up, he joined us from Cambridge. After his second spell there, he went to play in China.

I remember Raynor starting off at Forest under Clough.

Fine player.

I took a mate from the RAF to that game and if I remember rightly PNE took 1500 to that game and we were sat in the new stand down the side. Right at the time when there was a really good feeling around North End.
That's right. It was their new stand. I remeber looking back and thinking there was much more than 1500 tbh.

There was a 4-3 win at Lincoln in the late 90's. We came from 3-1 down.
That was an unusual result in itself but the previous week we lost 4-3 to Stoke having led 3-1 making it a bizarre pair of results.
I was at that game, too.

Always enjoyed Lincoln away it would seem.

There was a 4-3 win at Lincoln in the late 90's. We came from 3-1 down.
That was an unusual result in itself but the previous week we lost 4-3 to Stoke having led 3-1 making it a bizarre pair of results.
And then I think the very next season we lost again 2-3 or 3-4 to Stoke at home again.

And then I think the very next season we lost again 2-3 or 3-4 to Stoke at home again.
I also remember a 4-3 win against Stoke who pulled back a 3-1 deficit by equalising in stoppage time only for us to win it even later in stoppage time. Pretty sure Gary Megson was the Stoke Manager.

I also remember a 4-3 win against Stoke who pulled back a 3-1 deficit by equalising in stoppage time only for us to win it even later in stoppage time. Pretty sure Gary Megson was the Stoke Manager.
You're right I'm wrong.

22 Aug 98 Stoke won 4-3 at Deepdale.

24 Aug 2002 we beat them 4-3 at Deepdale. They equalized in 90th as you say and then Cresswell won it in stoppage time.

Strange how time plays tricks on you.....I'd have sworn those two games were less than 4 years apart as I can remember saying at the second game that this was almost a carbon copy of the first.

You're right I'm wrong.

22 Aug 98 Stoke won 4-3 at Deepdale.

24 Aug 2002 we beat them 4-3 at Deepdale. They equalized in 90th as you say and then Cresswell won it in stoppage time.

Strange how time plays tricks on you.....I'd have sworn those two games were less than 4 years apart as I can remember saying at the second game that this was almost a carbon copy of the first.
I thought they were closer together as well to be honest.