PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Full Backs

If that was a Man City defender, he'd have body checked him on the half way line and taken the likely booking, but the more likely outcome would have been that someone else would have bodychecked a player before the ball got to him and the attack would have been stopped with a free kick and nothing else. It's about sniffing danger and we seem to have gone from lunging in and getting red cards to just leaving them to run through, especially if Pearo isn't playing. That said, it was a definite dive (he brought his arm across Rafferty and pulled him in) and who can blame him? Rovers have promotion form against 10 men this season (P4 W3 D1) and relegation form against 11 (P9 W2 D2 L5). For fairness sake they were 3-0 up against Wycombe when they went down to 10, but all the others were at 0-0 when the opposition went down to 10.
Fisher does exactly the same thing for us, every single game he plays. It's genius. (when he does it)

In fact he did it on Tuesday, but he's got the extra speed to get his shoulder in front of the attacker.

For me he does, at the point below he is ahead of Gallagher and well within reasonable distance to slide, even if he misses the ball he takes out Gallagher and it's a yellow. He even has the argument of Hunts at the top as cover to stop a red (even though we all know he isn't really getting back in time).

After this moment when Gallagher gets slightly ahead, he still has enough sight of the ball and distance from the penalty area to make a 'legitimate' slide tackle to prevent the break and a red card.

It was all too naive, he knows right after the moment below he's lost the foot race, why let it carry on into the penalty box when Gallagher is ahead of him and touch tight? Absolute madness.

View attachment 2285
Appreciate you taking a proper look at it. I guess we might not agree. But its the moving pictures that show the pace of the move - this still is misleading I think, and represents a only millisecond in a fast moving situation. If you look at the footage the ball is obviously past him at this point and is going away from him and towards the attacker. He can't see Huntingdon and when he knows the attacker has the advantage he tries to bring him down. Like any pundits :)p) we can rewind the footage over and over and of course we have the benefit of knowing what the outcome was. At this point Rafferty didn't. I think it would have been a red had he taken him out even this h

Anyway, at this point of the game possession was 30%-70% (and ended 25%-70%) so we were well on the way to being beaten 0-3 at this point. They had threatened for a few minutes before this. I don't think this incident ultimately had a bearing on the match. keen players get a fair judgement where people have reached a view based on an understanding of the game rather than emotion.
Had he been playing RB in the same situation I am sure he would have slide tackled it out of play with his right foot,....as I'm sure Hughes or Earl would have tried to if they were in this situation wit their left foot..
More worrying is the fact he was out paced from here in.....
I thought he'd be trailing in his wake after the attacker getting a bit of a run on him. After that the attacker doesn't open up a gap really, but he's clearly fast.

It's ridiculous to say the incident had no bearing on the match, it was 0-0 and we'd literally just squandered a chance to go ahead.

We weren't favourites, but it was a contest. When we gave up both a man and a goal, we lost.
Just before the incident, possession was 30%-70% in the away team's favour.

We've won 1 and lost 6 at home this season.

We've scored 2 and conceded 10 in those games.

I can't be sure as you can't either.

We've won 1 and lost 6 at home this season.

We've scored 2 and conceded 10 in those games.

I can't be sure as you can't either.

We have had most of the possession in most of the home matches we've lost!

I don't blame you for being pessimistic, but christ, giving up whilst it's still 0-0 is a new low.

We have had most of the possession in most of the home matches we've lost!

I don't blame you for being pessimistic, but christ, giving up whilst it's still 0-0 is a new low.
:( Can't work it out

This is the team that won at Charlton away last November to take us to the top of the league.

Rudd
Fisher
Bauer
Davies
Rafferty
Pearson
Browne
Maguire
Johnson (Substituted for Gallagher at 31')
Barkhuizen
Stockley

Go figure 🤷‍♂️

Can't help but feel that going top of the league put expectations through the roof. Every time we have a bad run, people hark back to "but we were top after Charlton". It's almost worked against AN.

This group of players has been top of the league at this level for 24 hours in over 5 calendar years. The fact that we were top for a day isn't an accurate marker or gauge of the quality of players we have, or a fair reflection of where we should realistically be in the table.

And that's not me saying we're doing fine now because we need to do better, just think a fairer comparison would be where we are now compared to where we've finished in recent seasons, not our 24 hours at the summit.

Can't help but feel that going top of the league put expectations through the roof. Every time we have a bad run, people hark back to "but we were top after Charlton". It's almost worked against AN.

This group of players has been top of the league at this level for 24 hours in over 5 calendar years. The fact that we were top for a day isn't an accurate marker or gauge of the quality of players we have, or a fair reflection of where we should realistically be in the table.

And that's not me saying we're doing fine now because we need to do better, just think a fairer comparison would be where we are now compared to where we've finished in recent seasons, not our 24 hours at the summit.
You are probably right - where we are is probably 'where we are'. Certainly right now anyway.

With that comes some good performances, some bad performances, general inconsistency, individual errors, etc, etc.

I do think the gap between PNE fans' expectations and the reality of who PNE are in today's game is significant. I liken it to Everton fans and Wolves fans who I think have had many years of similar frustration. Grand old clubs with a history that is hard to live up to right now.

:( Can't work it out

This is the team that won at Charlton away last November to take us to the top of the league.

Rudd
Fisher
Bauer
Davies
Rafferty
Pearson
Browne
Maguire
Johnson (Substituted for Gallagher at 31')
Barkhuizen
Stockley

Go figure 🤷‍♂️
Pearson and Davies. People can talk about how “we won’t miss them” because Ledson has had a good start to the season but they are absolutely vital for us.

This is one of the things that annoys me most about the whole situation. People use it as a stick to beat Neil with when he was the one that took us there.

All this inflated expectation is because of the progress we made under Neil.

It's all hindsight now however we get in at half time 0-0 and change to 3-5-2 second half and I think we might have give Rovers a game.

We were poor, no excuses from me on that but you keep it 11v11 and 0-0 at half time and we had a chance. Down to 10 and 1-0 down and it was a case second half of staying in the game as long as we could. That went totally tits up after five minutes.

Rovers eased off us that last 30 minutes. Toyed with us. Took off their best players. Embarrassing but we had a bunch of blunt tools on the pitch that looked so far away from the standard we expect as supporters.

Personally I get what the manager was saying about damage limitations but my god don't make that statement in public unless you want the crucifixion that has taken place afterwards. Keep it in house man

This is one of the things that annoys me most about the whole situation. People use it as a stick to beat Neil with when he was the one that took us there.

All this inflated expectation is because of the progress we made under Neil.
Perhaps the manager has changed HIS attitude and tactics after going top. Remember how Simpson did exactly that after BD said he had two teams in the top six. No way is AN blameless - either he's changed something in the set up/tactics or lost the players - whatever it is he needs to address the problem quickly or things will just get worse

Perhaps the manager has changed HIS attitude and tactics after going top. Remember how Simpson did exactly that after BD said he had two teams in the top six. No way is AN blameless - either he's changed something in the set up/tactics or lost the players - whatever it is he needs to address the problem quickly or things will just get worse

I'm starting to think he's lost the players - not in the obvious, in your face, "I'm not playing for you you short baldy wanker" sense but in the sense that they don't beleive in what they're being asked to do any more. So Neil, in turn, doesn't beleive in them. Vicious circle and in time it goes tits up.

Good managers and teams change stuff over time and keep things fresh. OK, Neil probably hasn't been given that opportunity like he could have been, but, neverthless, its a possible explanation.

It was Craig Brown who commented that Billy had 2 teams in the Top 6.