PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Christmas is cancelled but for the PNE players, "Lets Party!"

If this was a set of politicians, or broadcasters (see Kay Burley the other week), or celebrities, or even another team's football players, people would rightly be saying that this isn't right in the current climate.

It is a case of fans simply not being able to see past tribal club loyalties and adulation of our players in order to come to the conclusion that this isn't allowed.

Sorry but I can't have much sympathy for a "grim schedule" as a reason to justify this. A grim schedule is the amount of hours NHS staff have been working to keep people alive throughout the pandemic, and they aren't allowed to form a bubble and all go out on the piss together.

And no I don't agree that people should be reporting this or tagging the police or whatever, but I find the "go on lads" mentality really cringeworthy.

If we were to say it was a surprise party organised by Harrop and Stockley some would change their opinion quite quickly.

So because they are professional footballers (although that’s debatable in some cases) it’s alright for them to break the rules?

The amount of folk justifying this with that line is laughable.
I could think of other adjectives 😐

The players shouldn't have got themselves into this situation to start with when prying eyes are everywhere. Putting it on social media was where they/Ledson have really ballsed up.
This. 👆

By all means have your private and (presumably) completely legal xmas party/"Covid-secure squad meeting".

But don't broadcast it across public social media channels in the middle of a pandemic. Have a thought for once.

The sheer unalloyed thickness of the perps is the real story here.

This. 👆

By all means have your private and (presumably) completely legal xmas party/"Covid-secure squad meeting".

But don't broadcast it across public social media channels in the middle of a pandemic. Have a thought for once.

Couldn't agree more but then he never struck me as the brightest of lads.

Bollocks - you and others have smacked arses over this because of the shitty lockdown.
If you've got a problem look no further than this government and advisors - they set the rules.

How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? You clearly think this is OK & you’re entitled to your opinion but it’s wrong.

The only problem I have is professional footballers or anyone else for that matter who think the rules don’t apply to them.

I keep getting blocked on Twitter by some of our fans despite not interacting with them and can't work out why! Answers on a postcard.

The players shouldn't have got themselves into this situation to start with when prying eyes are everywhere. Putting it on social media was where they/Ledson have really ballsed up.

My view is that what they've done isn't affecting any of our day to day lives, we still have to abide by the rules and we're all affected by this pandemic. Should they have got together like they have? Probably not. Does it affect how any of us live our lives in the coming days and weeks? Not in the slightest.

Yes it's not great, some of us are classed as key workers on here and haven't seen family properly for months and I get that stuff like this can leave a sour taste. I'm not angered by what they've done, there's so many terrible things going on in the world right now it's hard to get angered by something none of us have any control over.

What I am a bit staggered at is for a fan posting Paul Gallagher's number on social media to quote "Get them told"? A man who wasn't even there?! That's shocking and more than a little bizzare behaviour.

@paddysr I hope your Dad pulls through and I'm hoping for the best for you and your family 🙏

Doesn’t matter whether it affects our lives in the coming weeks, it’s completely out of order & sends out entirely the wrong message.

How did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? You clearly think this is OK & you’re entitled to your opinion but it’s wrong.

The only problem I have is professional footballers or anyone else for that matter who think the rules don’t apply to them.
If there's no Covid cases come out of it and they all knew they were negative beforehand what's the problem? I get that it seems a bit irritating but isn't there bigger things to be annoyed about than something with no negative consequences whatsoever?

If there's no Covid cases come out of it and they all knew they were negative beforehand what's the problem? I get that it seems a bit irritating but isn't there bigger things to be annoyed about than something with no negative consequences whatsoever?
Was the female guest from the South tested and found negative?

I keep getting blocked on Twitter by some of our fans despite not interacting with them and can't work out why! Answers on a postcard.

My view is that what they've done isn't affecting any of our day to day lives, we still have to abide by the rules and we're all affected by this pandemic. Should they have got together like they have? Probably not. Does it affect how any of us live our lives in the coming days and weeks? Not in the slightest.

Yes it's not great, some of us are classed as key workers on here and haven't seen family properly for months and I get that stuff like this can leave a sour taste. I'm not angered by what they've done, there's so many terrible things going on in the world right now it's hard to get angered by something none of us have any control over.

What I am a bit staggered at is for a fan posting Paul Gallagher's number on social media to quote "Get them told"? A man who wasn't even there?! That's shocking and more than a little bizzare behaviour.

@paddysr I hope your Dad pulls through and I'm hoping for the best for you and your family 🙏
Spot on.

I would rather not have heard about it, the big mistake imo is putting it out there in public. It’s a very sensitive subject with wide differing views as seen on here.

Was the female guest from the South tested and found negat?
I don't know, this was what I was meaning in an earlier post when I said we can't really make judgements based on social media posts as there isn't enough information available.
To be honest my view on this is probably coloured by the fact that I've found all the social media pile ons for slight rule breaches really annoying and stupid. We're all having a shit time, half of us have our mental health in pieces, it feels like the frequent Twitter pile ons for anyone who slips up is just asking for trouble really. Obviously this doesn't apply to the knobhead 'covid truthers' but it just feels disappointing at a time like this when everyone's struggling to see people turning on each other so harshly for little fuck ups where no harm has been done. I get it's frustrating but when we're asked what we did during the pandemic does anyone really want to reply that they sat on twitter calling strangers cunts.

Where exactly were they on this jolly up.

The rule is all pubs, bars etc in tier 3 not to serve alcohol unless it is for take away so there must have been some rule breaking going on.

From my viewpoint I don't think it was sensible and it gives out an attitude of they are all right, so stuff anyone else. We can't go boozing why should they.

The problem is it’s against the rules that the rest of the population have to abide by so why shouldn’t they?

I don't know, this was what I was meaning in an earlier post when I said we can't really make judgements based on social media posts as there isn't enough information available.
To be honest my view on this is probably coloured by the fact that I've found all the social media pile ons for slight rule breaches really annoying and stupid. We're all having a shit time, half of us have our mental health in pieces, it feels like the frequent Twitter pile ons for anyone who slips up is just asking for trouble really. Obviously this doesn't apply to the knobhead 'covid truthers' but it just feels disappointing at a time like this when everyone's struggling to see people turning on each other so harshly for little fuck ups where no harm has been done. I get it's frustrating but when we're asked what we did during the pandemic does anyone really want to reply that they sat on twitter calling strangers cunts.
Agree totally with the piling on bit. You can make a case both sides on this (the footballers party) but the case for not doing it, seems to me by far the wiser choice given the current very serious situation (Paddy's Dad for example and many others like him sadly) and what may be coming our way with this new strain or whatever it is.

You want to tell that to my dad who is currently in RPH on a CPAP machine fighting for his life without being able to have his family around him. My dad has been as careful as possible all the way through and yet because of the actions of people who think the way you do I might lose him.

Fuck you

I hope that all goes well with your dad Paddy, and wish him a full and speedy recovery. Take care.

The problem is it’s against the rules that the rest of the population have to abide by so why shouldn’t they?
Think this is where the difference in opinion comes. I'm not following the rules for the sake of following the rules I'm following the rules to make sure the Covid rates stay down. If breaking the rules doesn't impact upon the Covid rate directly or indirectly, and there's no risk that it could've done, I really don't care at all.

This. 👆

Whether it's footballers, NHS workers, office workers, teachers etc, they have a working environment that is deemed safe to work in (debatable in some cases). I have no problem people working in that environment being able to have drinks there after shifts. I presume they have a safe environment to where they can have a break to do this.

The players could have done this at the training ground or at Deepdale after a training session no problem. No one would have battered an eye lid.

To me there are a few issues that should have been avoided. People not part of the playing group being there, these breaches can bring a spread of the virus to the safe working environment that had been created. Games have been postponed because of actions like this, Cricket tours cancelled. Players traveling from tier 3 areas to tier 2 for a piss up, it's non essential travel. And being stupid enough to broadcast all this on social media for anyone to see.

Completely disagree with tagging of police. Strongly disagree that Gallaghers number was posted, even more so that he wasn't there.

Where exactly were they on this jolly up.

The rule is all pubs, bars etc in tier 3 not to serve alcohol unless it is for take away so there must have been some rule breaking going on.

From my viewpoint I don't think it was sensible and it gives out an attitude of they are all right, so stuff anyone else. We can't go boozing why should they.
There are exemptions for "business meetings" held at Tier 1 and 2 venues.

So without more information about the basis for this event and the venue, we can't assume they were breaking any rules.