PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ched Evans

Would you welcome the signing of Ched Evans at PNE?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
An opportunist gold digger almost got away with destroying a man's career.

He's spent 2.5 years in prison for something that some people find distasteful. That's more than enough punishment surely. It wasn't a rape.

I've read about this woman, and she was trying it on. She only wanted the money.

She is actually the one in the wrong.
She didn't get or claim any money you idiot.

She also never claimed rape, she said she couldn't remember.

It's worth noting that witnesses were forced to apologise on the stand for making such accusations.

No, he isn't. There's no such terminology as 'innocent' in law. He was found 'not guilty', which simply means there was insufficient evidence to bring about a conviction.

It doesn't mean he's innocent. All you have to do is read what Evans himself admitting to doing that night, and if you don't find that morally repugnant, I don't know what to tell you.
Innocent until proven guilty. If someone is found not guilty by a jury they are by definition innocent. Why are people arguing this indisputable fact handed down by judge and jury, it’s not something that’s open for opinion. Continuing to say otherwise puts posters on dodgy ground if Evans or any of his representatives read messages such as these.

As I’ve said previously if he was a much better player we wouldn’t be having the same debate as his previous wrongdoings would be conveniently ignored.

She didn't get or claim any money you idiot.

She also never claimed rape, she said she couldn't remember.

It's worth noting that witnesses were forced to apologise on the stand for making such accusations.
My understanding is she started the whole thing for financial gain, and advertised the fact, both on social media, and private comms, before removing evidence of that. Her action and attitude did not tie in with her story. You seem unaware of the events leading up to the appeal being accepted, and then overturned. It was in the public domain at the time.

He was awarded around £800k in an out of court settlement. This was because he sued his original defence team for ‘negligent defence’. Which, as Paddy pointed out, was our back up goalkeepers dad.

That could make things interesting on the training ground. I doubt he's on the Ripley family's Christmas card list 😊

Innocent until proven guilty. If someone is found not guilty by a jury they are by definition innocent. Why are people arguing this indisputable fact handed down by judge and jury, it’s not something that’s open for opinion. Continuing to say otherwise puts posters on dodgy ground if Evans or any of his representatives read messages such as these.

As I’ve said previously if he was a much better player we wouldn’t be having the same debate as his previous wrongdoings would be conveniently ignored.
Would you ever lie your way into a room and then start having sex with someone without speaking to them then sneak out of a fire escape after you were done?

Not sure how you can get consent without speaking to someone. The jury decided otherwise but personally irrespective of legalities I find his behaviour repugnant.

My understanding is she started the whole thing for financial gain, and advertised the fact, both on social media, and private comms, before removing evidence of that. Her action and attitude did not tie in with her story. You seem unaware of the events leading up to the appeal being accepted, and then overturned. It was in the public domain at the time.
Your understanding is wrong. The only people that were offered any sort of money were the witnesses

I agree with your first paragraph but not your second - I really don't think his ability as a player would make any difference to how people felt.

Oooh, a person who didn't even break the law, yet went to prison for 2.5 years might be playing for us for a few months. How awful.

He is the victim considering he did time. That's why he got an £800,0000 pay out.

The ‘payout’ he received was from his former solicitors in an out of court settlement, as he was going to sue them for badly advising him. The settlement wasn’t compensation from the court or anything.
Calling Ched Evans a victim is frankly laughable. If he signs for a Championship club on thousands of pounds a week he’s hardly a victim is he?

Your understanding? More like some shite you heard or read on twitter and took for facts because it reinforced your preconceptions about her.

Evans may or may not have taken advantage of her, we'll never know for sure but stop acting like this woman is a villain who set out to ruin a life for her own gain. She got nothing out of it except for having her reputation dragged through the dirt in court when the defense paid her former partners to testify against her.

The court found him not guilty based on evidence that should never have been allowed. A court has no business knowing a person's sexual history.

Last edited:
I agree with your first paragraph but not your second - I really don't think his ability as a player would make any difference to how people felt.
People are pretty fickle, to be fair.

If it was Cristiano Ronaldo, there would be less outrage.

Not sure how you can get consent without speaking to someone.
There’s different ways consent can be applied. I think the ownus is on one of the people specifically saying no, I don’t want to, or stop. Still though my thoughts (and yours) on the case are ultimately irrelevant as a jury with no agenda (such as football) came to the conclusion he’s innocent.

Maybe.

At what cost though?
I have no doubt that those who say they will give the club a wide berth genuinely mean it. But for many I suspect promotion or play-offs would sway them into the good deal camp.

The poll on here is yes or no and I reckon there are a good amount like myself who said no for footballing reasons.

There’s different ways consent can be applied. I think the ownus is on one of the people specifically saying no, I don’t want to, or stop. Still though my thoughts (and yours) on the case are ultimately irrelevant as a jury with no agenda (such as football) came to the conclusion he’s innocent.

This is why consent mixed with alcohol is a very murky subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.