PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Brexit never? Britain can still change its mind, says Article 50 autho

To be fair to JT, most of what goes on on here seems to go over his head
You are quite right for once Essex

It's just I am not a rabid left winger so what goes on in your ‘underground’ meetings goes right over my head
Neither despite some effort to portray me as such am I a Right wing fanatic

In truth I would call myself ‘Old Labour’ and I have much in common (in thought at least) with David Blunkett an Ex Labour Health and Home Secretary

Something the ones you trumpet are never likely to attain to be

And I say again, if the ones you support were ever likely to achieve office that has been doomed by all those labour Voters who voted, or would have done had they had they the chance at the last GE

ErDeA8SXEAQ73vc

To avoid confusion UK has lost a £6 billion in trades a DAY not a year.

So many times over recent years on this forum, Brexiters shot me down as spreading Project Fear- or just ignored my argument.

It frankly makes me angry. But there’s no real point in being able to say “I told you so” It doesn’t help my country- and anyway, I expect Brexiters will just shrink away and ignore me again!

So many times over recent years on this forum, Brexiters shot me down as spreading Project Fear- or just ignored my argument.

It frankly makes me angry. But there’s no real point in being able to say “I told you so” It doesn’t help my country- and anyway, I expect Brexiters will just shrink away and ignore me again!

Theyve mostly moved onto something else they can deny and feck up.

Isn't it funny the Remoaners never mention

The queue at Dover have gone
The Pond is up against the Dollar
The Pound is up against the Euro
The stock exchange is climbing again
But of Course this ALL GOOD news
The Remoaners can't be having that, can they?

Actually John, there is a lot of trouble ahead in the short term.
Queues are back, even at 50% of typical traffic and firms are considering relocation to the continent or ceasing exports.

Ah - those sunny uplands 😂 In what world is the pound “up” against the Euro? Jan 2016 = €1.33. Jan 2020=€1.17 Jan 2022=€1.11. That’s a 16.5% drop.

Fair enough- right now, it’s half a cent up today - hence your Daily Express headline. But that gain is only a third of what it’s lost just THIS WEEK 😂

Good to see recovery in shares - but look at FTSE 100 index compared to first half of 2016. Risen from about 6200 to 6860 =approx 11%. Woohoo. Such confidence in the value of UK companies.

In the period our shares went up 11%, for comparison,

USA +100%
Amsterdam +50%
Germany +50%
India +100%
Troubled Hong Kong +35%

Not so good now - but worse news John. That 11% rise in the FTSE is based on the value (in POUNDS) of top companies. And I just illustrated that the pound is DOWN about 16% in that period- So the real value of those British registered companies is significantly DOWN. And that’s before taking inflation into account

Pound is indeed recovering against the dollar- but more accurate to say that the dollar is declining against all major currencies

Dover? The queues resulted from caution about the emerging new Covid variant. Not Brexit. So far, glad to see queues are less than I feared. The biggest port problems seem to be occurring where UK companies are exporting goods into the UK ( .Ireland) - across the Irish Sea border that Johnson insisted should and would never exist.

Actually John, there is a lot of trouble ahead in the short term.
Queues are back, even at 50% of typical traffic and firms are considering relocation to the continent or ceasing exports.

Add to that - some of our biggest companies have realised there’s a big hole in our great tariff-free trade deal.

Example: UK company Tesco have shops in EU - with a lot of goods supplied from UK. They are now having to identify, amongst their thousands of product lines, those that are “substantially manufactured” outside of UK or EU - because the deal doesn’t cover them.
So if they send some t-shirts made in China over from UK to their Irish shops for example (which they’ve always done), that now attracts a 12% tariff. Commercially unsustainable- with one obvious solution to set up an Irish/EU based operation to do the importing - so moving some jobs from UK to EU.

Ah - those sunny uplands 😂 In what world is the pound “up” against the Euro? Jan 2016 = €1.33. Jan 2020=€1.17 Jan 2022=€1.11. That’s a 16.5% drop.

Fair enough- right now, it’s half a cent up today - hence your Daily Express headline. But that gain is only a third of what it’s lost just THIS WEEK 😂

Good to see recovery in shares - but look at FTSE 100 index compared to first half of 2016. Risen from about 6200 to 6860 =approx 11%. Woohoo. Such confidence in the value of UK companies.

USA +100%
Amsterdam +50%
Germany +50%
India +100%
Troubled Hong Kong +35%

Not so good now - but worse news John. That 11% rise in the FTSE is based on the value (in POUNDS) of top companies. And I just illustrated that the pound is DOWN about 16% in that period- So the real value of those British registered companies is significantly DOWN. And that’s before taking inflation into account

Pound is indeed recovering against the dollar- but more accurate to say that the dollar is declining against all major currencies

Dover? The queues resulted from caution about the emerging new Covid variant. Not Brexit. So far, glad to see queues are less than I feared. The biggest port problems seem to be occurring where UK companies are exporting goods into the UK ( .Ireland) - across the Irish Sea border that Johnson insisted should and would never exist.
That's actually very worrying - looks as if that could be a bubble, to me, fuelled by quantitative easing. Difficult times ahead if that collapses suddenly :(

USA +100%
Amsterdam +50%
Germany +50%
India +100%
Troubled Hong Kong +35%

Actually I am NOT saying it will last

I have no doubt there will be 'bumps' along the way, particularly from Drivers and Hauliers (probably smaller outfits) but they will get used to it after being subjected to initial delays

HOWEVER

The point I was making (in my own way) was

You can bet your sweet life the moment any delays happen

The Remoaners will be all over it like a rash

Bad News for them is GOOD

Good News is VERY BAD

Bitcoin will save us all(apparently)

Not me! I wouldn’t touch it on moral grounds. I am sure someone could examine my pension pot and find some big hypocrisy in my stance - but the dark web connection of Bitcoin - and the way it was set up - just feels wrong.

That's actually very worrying - looks as if that could be a bubble, to me, fuelled by quantitative easing. Difficult times ahead if that collapses suddenly :(

I am personally staggered that the pandemic hasn’t hammered share prices more (of course some individual companies have been).

Even without it, there appear to be some massive bubbles - in US stocks, for example. Not just from Trump era either. The were already rocketing under Obama and carried on through Trump’s era. Just take 5 mis to Google the three main US indices- Dow Jones, S&P500 and Nasdaq and look at long term graphs. That would frighten you even if the world seemed stable right now.

I am no expert though!

The Remoaners........

Bad News for them is GOOD

Good News is VERY BAD

I won’t deny that there’s going to be some “Told you so” sentiment from people who (IMO) saw the lies that led to Brexit. Everyone is human.

But you might be surprised how keen most remainers are to see the British people make the very best of our situation.

I am personally staggered that the pandemic hasn’t hammered share prices more (of course some individual companies have been).

Even without it, there appear to be some massive bubbles - in US stocks, for example. Not just from Trump era either. The were already rocketing under Obama and carried on through Trump’s era. Just take 5 mis to Google the three main US indices- Dow Jones, S&P500 and Nasdaq and look at long term graphs. That would frighten you even if the world seemed stable right now.

I am no expert though!
For me, governments never really fixed the problems after the 2008 crash and used QE and low interest rates to keep kicking things down the road. That has only inflated asset prices and created bubbles, IMO (plus investors now assume that governments will bail them out).

Speaking from within the Eurozone, the future is very worrying after what happened last time.

It has been good to me this last month or so.
I wondered if you had dabbled again, know you mentioned in the past.

I still remain wary of how it bubbles so cyclically but see it's been good to lots of holders lately, just feels on the precipice again