PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

When I was scheduled for an operation at Blackpool Vic before Xmas they booked me a drive through appointment at Chorley for a covid test. I reported on it at the time, not pleasant but nothing to be bothered about. The whole process was slick and friendly.
As the operation didn't actually go ahead because of some complications I now have to go in on Wednesday. This time however they ordered me a home test. I found this much more stressful than the drive through with IMHO more scope for going wrong. You have to register your test online, some people would struggle with this. 24 hours before taking the test, you have to book a Royal Mail courier to collect it the next day, again online. On the appointed day you have to self administer the test at 7am, as the Royal Mail might pick it up any time after 8am. It's not as easy to administer as you might think. I hope I did it correctly but only time will tell. I should receive the result by text, the hospital will receive the results separately.
It's not rocket science but there is scope for confusion, particularly amongst the elderly (I refuse to admit to being elderly at 69, despite my granddaughter reminding me all the time - the cheeky minx.) It's a slick enough operation though with plenty of use of barcodes for double checking things.

Dorset if you please .....(though I snuck over the border undetected just this morning. Obviously not very observant through the forest)
Oh my sincere apologies Jake my boy

I do hope you are not setting me up to be Civid snitcher

ARE Dorset and Hampshire in the same tier?

Don’t worry I won’t tell, your secrete is safe with me

Ops

When I was scheduled for an operation at Blackpool Vic before Xmas they booked me a drive through appointment at Chorley for a covid test. I reported on it at the time, not pleasant but nothing to be bothered about. The whole process was slick and friendly.
As the operation didn't actually go ahead because of some complications I now have to go in on Wednesday. This time however they ordered me a home test. I found this much more stressful than the drive through with IMHO more scope for going wrong. You have to register your test online, some people would struggle with this. 24 hours before taking the test, you have to book a Royal Mail courier to collect it the next day, again online. On the appointed day you have to self administer the test at 7am, as the Royal Mail might pick it up any time after 8am. It's not as easy to administer as you might think. I hope I did it correctly but only time will tell. I should receive the result by text, the hospital will receive the results separately.
It's not rocket science but there is scope for confusion, particularly amongst the elderly (I refuse to admit to being elderly at 69, despite my granddaughter reminding me all the time - the cheeky minx.) It's a slick enough operation though with plenty of use of barcodes for double checking things.
I've been to the walk through one several times now and you do the swabs yourself, I've gotten better but the first few where absolutely awful to do, I was wretching trying to keep it in the back of my throat for the full 10 seconds continuously. I'm not moaning it's a necessary evil but it's certainly not pleasant.

Good luck with your op.

Oh my sincere apologies Jake my boy

I do hope you are not setting me up to be Civid snitcher

ARE Dorset and Hampshire in the same tier?

Don’t worry I won’t tell, your secrete is safe with me

Ops
Hampshire including the New Forest is Tier 4 as is BCP where I am even though we’re “in” Dorset but that’s just how the Council Authorities are set.

The rest of Dorset is only Tier 3 for now so we’ve the situation where yesterday I stayed in the same tier driving to Southampton but if I turn left out of my road and drive half a mile I’ve left Tier 4 as I’m back in Dorset.

If you nip round to my house, the bottom of the garden is about 20 yards from the 17th Green at Preston Golf Course. There' s even a few stray golf balls on my lawn.

Nip through the hedge and walk up the hill and you can practice on this lovely Par 3 for hours on end and no one will bother you. Better than lessons I'd say

For clarity this is something I have absolutely not done
As Bobby Ball used to say “ You little liar !! “

Hampshire including the New Forest is Tier 4 as is BCP where I am even though we’re “in” Dorset but that’s just how the Council Authorities are set.

The rest of Dorset is only Tier 3 for now so we’ve the situation where yesterday I stayed in the same tier driving to Southampton but if I turn left out of my road and drive half a mile I’ve left Tier 4 as I’m back in Dorset.
My gaffer lives in Dorset Jake.... Poole.

I've been to the walk through one several times now and you do the swabs yourself, I've gotten better but the first few where absolutely awful to do, I was wretching trying to keep it in the back of my throat for the full 10 seconds continuously. I'm not moaning it's a necessary evil but it's certainly not pleasant.
I have been to the drive thru one at the capitol centre twice where you also have to do it yourself.....

I didn’t mind the throat bit, it was shoving it up my nostrils that I found really uncomfortable.

You do realise the more you cast doubt on the mitigation measures, the more likely it is we need to enforce stricter lockdown measures. If people wont wear or clean masks properly, we're in for a longer haul. You seem desperate to prove that all hope is lost, mitigations are hopeless, so we may as well give up. That wont happen or we'll become a pariah state. Savvy.
I would question which is more dangerous . Despite the fact that it has been proven that many types of masks are not up to the job of keeping covid out. Some folk just stick a snood over their face ffs. They give people a sense that they are at less risk when the possibility is that they will take more risk. If the govt decided that the next step is that you will have to wear a mask outside will you comply ? I am fine with folk having to wear a mask in confined spaces for now because some folk will wonder about even when they have symptoms but this should not develop into a long term requirement when SAGE eventually gives us permission to have our freedom back.

I would question which is more dangerous . Despite the fact that it has been proven that many types of masks are not up to the job of keeping covid out. Some folk just stick a snood over their face ffs. They give people a sense that they are at less risk when the possibility is that they will take more risk. If the govt decided that the next step is that you will have to wear a mask outside will you comply ? I am fine with folk having to wear a mask in confined spaces for now because some folk will wonder about even when they have symptoms but this should not develop into a long term requirement when SAGE eventually gives us permission to have our freedom back.

You can question all you like. Theres an overwhelming majority of eminent scientists advising on balance its a good idea to wear masks to reduce the national crisis. And a majority of people thankfully will bow to their expertise in the matter rather than listening to alternative musings and references to inefficencies of the wearers or a secondary much lesser risk of touching an infected mask. All of which just encourages the habitual offenders to cause difficulty over what is a relatively simple matter.

We need an education campaign on masks, that’s for sure. I know that although we’ve been given the key information quite a lot, it genuinely has not been hammered home enough.
Lesson One should include how to wear them but also include the fact that the prime purpose of a standard face-covering, for the general public, is to keep the virus IN, rather than to directly protect the wearer.

You appear to be misunderstanding as to why we wear face coverings, at the moment.

Only the best medical masks would keep the virus out, and those would have to be professionally fitted to each individual person. The coverings are for one reason only and that is to lessen the distance of our exhalations.

"Your mask protects me, my mask protects you."

We have to wear masks outside here - even if I take the dogs out for a walk or wander down to the village without meeting a soul on the way.

I don't bother, to be honest, even though I risk a 300 Euro fine if a police patrol goes past - no problem with wearing them inside shops, but wearing them outside at all times is a step too far.

We have to wear masks outside here - even if I take the dogs out for a walk or wander down to the village without meeting a soul on the way.

I don't bother, to be honest, even though I risk a 300 Euro fine if a police patrol goes past - no problem with wearing them inside shops, but wearing them outside at all times is a step too far.
For me, makes no sense in outdoor areas, unless part of a crowd.

You can question all you like. Theres an overwhelming majority of eminent scientists advising on balance its a good idea to wear masks to reduce the national crisis. And a majority of people thankfully will bow to their expertise in the matter rather than listening to alternative musings and references to inefficencies of the wearers or a secondary much lesser risk of touching an infected mask. All of which just encourages the habitual offenders to cause difficulty over what is a relatively simple matter.
I have mentioned before masks are a waste of time unless in a clinical environment, but hey ho helps folk feel safer its all good.
As for eminent scientists the jury is still out many say what a waste of time .
Let me just remind you of this adviser a few months ago . Only the
Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

Coronavirus: 'We do not recommend face masks for general wearing' - BBC News

Or what about this one another one only the Chief medical officer
Members of the public could be putting themselves more at risk from contracting coronavirus by wearing face masks, one of England’s most senior doctors has warned.
Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer, said the masks could “actually trap the virus” and cause the person wearing it to breathe it in.

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

As for snoods that is all i use under duress i have worked all the way through this with no problems.

It is paranoia at its best not to say this virus is not dangerous for many, for the majority they will be fine.

If they are working that well why the hell are we yet again in another lockdown ? I don't except that because a few are not obeying the rules is the reason as most are following them

Last edited:
I have mentioned before masks are a waste of time unless in a clinical environment, but hey ho helps folk feel safer its all good.
As for eminent scientists the jury is still out many say what a waste of time .
Let me just remind you of this adviser a few months ago . Only the
Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Professor Jonathan Van Tam said he does not believe healthy people wearing them would reduce the spread of the disease in the UK, saying "what matters now is social distancing".

Coronavirus: 'We do not recommend face masks for general wearing' - BBC News

Or what about this one another one only the Chief medical officer
Members of the public could be putting themselves more at risk from contracting coronavirus by wearing face masks, one of England’s most senior doctors has warned.
Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer, said the masks could “actually trap the virus” and cause the person wearing it to breathe it in.

“For the average member of the public walking down a street, it is not a good idea” to wear a face mask in the hope of preventing infection, she added.

As for snoods that is all i use under duress i have worked all the way through this with no problems.

It is paranoia at its best not to say this virus is not dangerous for many, for the majority they will be fine.

If they are working that well why the hell are we yet again in another lockdown ? I don't except that because a few are not obeying the rules is the reason as most are following them
In fairness, Rob, you have what most of us dont have, in this pandemic. A personal advisor, the Postman.