PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Black life in America

I watched until 2 m 30 seconds and stopped. His first 2 sentences sum up my feelings on critical race theory completely. Sadly the brainwashed, rinsed by PC and woke holy water will never get it. His opinion is almost identical to that of Tom Walker (Jonathan Pie). Employing critical race theory to improve equality and race relations is like to trying to put out a fire by lighting a larger fire next to it which you hope will use up all the available oxygen.
I will watch the rest later.

Now watched all of it and I think I have a man crush on Trevor Phillips

I saw the preview pic, saw Trevor Phillips and Andrew Neil and really didnt have to listen to 2.5 secs to know which way that would go.

Your cheerleading confirmed what I thought.

:)

You remind me of the Richard Dawkins interview alongside the Mormon lead singer from The Killers.
When you watch him exposed to a reasoned alternative view you can almost see his faith evaporating. His entire life’s foundations shaken. And I say that as a theist.

You should expose yourself to alternate viewpoints. Worried they might undermine your beliefs?

This is worth a read. You might like it. Stick with it to the end. It’s not that long.

You remind me of the Richard Dawkins interview alongside the Mormon lead singer from The Killers.
When you watch him exposed to a reasoned alternative view you can almost see his faith evaporating. His entire life’s foundations shaken. And I say that as a theist.

You should expose yourself to alternate viewpoints. Worried they might undermine your beliefs?
Ive heard Phillips views many times, Andrew Neils many times more.

When it comes to racial concerns we arent even on the same planet let alone the same page.

Anyway I`ll leave you and @Mer5eywhite to enjoy your man crushes.

I am Mer5eywhite.

Seriously Raef, critical race theory will only succeed in polarising communities. Yeah there may be some short term gains but you keep telling people they’re all racist and they’ll be no different to the little lad whose parents keep telling him he’s a bad boy.

I am Mer5eywhite.

Seriously Raef, critical race theory will only succeed in polarising communities. Yeah there may be some short term gains but you keep telling people they’re all racist and they’ll be no different to the little lad whose parents keep telling him he’s a bad boy.
Id rather racism was highlighted, as the footballers are doing than to be an apologist for racism.

As for your analogy about parents disciplining a little boy, really?

I’m opposed to racism

I just don’t think the default setting for white people is racist.

I would not tolerate my children behaving in a racist manner.

I will not tolerate a movement based upon a theory which says my children are inherently racist.

Simple as that.
Fair comments

Me neither but I take it further with mine to say dont tolerate apologists for racism either.

FWIW

Nobody is inherently racist, however culture and other external pressures can lead to people subconsciously developing racist attitudes. There have been many times I have had to challenge my own thinking that has sometimes surfaced without me even realising that those thoughts were there. Not just on race either.

Trevor Philips is a well respected, experienced, a very intelligent person and has done more to highlight racism and improve race relations in this country than most.

raefil's problem is that Trevor Phillips is all of the above but also black. And according to raefil black people have to think the same and act the same as a bloc, without independent thought. You can see this whenever a black person, or person of colour in general, dares to say something against left doctrine. Without fail they are derided by him and others on the left. Maybe I'm wrong and it's pure coincidence.

Identity politics bullshit is how he and the left get their kicks and how they see the future of politics.

Fair comments

Me neither but I take it further with mine to say dont tolerate apologists for racism either.

FWIW

Nobody is inherently racist, however culture and other external pressures can lead to people subconsciously developing racist attitudes. There have been many times I have had to challenge my own thinking that has sometimes surfaced without me even realising that those thoughts were there. Not just on race either.

I enjoyed your last paragraph.
I worry that we are moving towards cultish following of one polar ideal or another.

It seems too many will not listen to alternate opinions. If that continues we will end up with worse than the narcissist Trump. We’ll finish up with a solipsist whose beliefs have ossified. The 20th century was damaged by a number of them.

Trevor Philips is a well respected, experienced, a very intelligent person and has done more to highlight racism and improve race relations in this country than most.

raefil's problem is that Trevor Phillips is all of the above but also black. And according to raefil black people have to think the same and act the same as a bloc, without independent thought. You can see this whenever a black person, or person of colour in general, dares to say something against left doctrine. Without fail they are derided by him and others on the left. Maybe I'm wrong and it's pure coincidence.

Identity politics bullshit is how he and the left get their kicks and how they see the future of politics.
disgusting

Not really.

Just my thoughts based on years of enjoyable and productive interaction on this forum. You vent your thoughts about me and others on this forum on a regular basis.
If I vented my thoughts about you I would correctly be banned.

Anyway I think for the good of the forum its better you spend a period of time in my iggy box.

I worry that we are moving towards cultish following of one polar ideal or another.

It seems too many will not listen to alternate opinions. If that continues we will end up with worse than the narcissist Trump. We’ll finish up with a solipsist whose beliefs have ossified. The 20th century was damaged by a number of them.
<<<<<<<< looking up, "Solipsist." :)

Edit:

I wouldnt put anyone in this section as an extreme egocentric. Id say some, including myself, have firm views and stay consistent with them, egocentric? Not really.

Yup - critical race theory has some ideas that I can see have merit, but it has others that I am not so sure about.

It's when it is used against individuals rather than systemic discrimination in the legal/political system that it falls down, IMO. White privilege, white fragility, and similar terms thrown at people are not helpful and do not take an individual's circumstances or beliefs into account.

Can become very divisive and risks creating a hierarchy of oppression without tackling those really doing the oppressing. - still very much a class struggle for me.

No I’m Mer5eywhiticus

“No one is inherently racist” is a great hypothesis for a PhD or something! There are certain tensions for the driving forces behind man’s evolution.
One is that social cooperation, based on fairness and sharing brings evolutionary advantage. But another is being tribal and being protective of our tribe’s land and resources also brings evolutionary advantage. This brings conflict and fear of difference

On that basis, at one level, I think there is some innate, inherent “racism” within us all. And my suspicion is that our frontal cortex uses intelligent logic to suppress and overcome a more instinctive “tribal” feeling from our old core brain.
Right, that’s another thesis under my belt. I think I’ll solve nuclear fusion next.