PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Capital punishment

Do you agree with Capital Punishment?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Yes- but only in exceptional circumstances

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
My view won’t be palatable to most but I’m afraid that I am very much in the “eye for an eye “ camp..

if there is absolutely no doubt that someone has committed an unforgivable crime then they should ( in my opinion ) be executed....

Hindley, Brady, Huntley ..... I wouldn’t have lost any sleep if they had all been executed.

All I can say is while our Justice system allows convicted Killers out after only a few years, some of which go on to commit Crimes again

The call for Capital Punishment will not go away, perhaps grow

Those of us who supported it at the time were worried that some Innocent would hang in error
When Capital Punishment was abolished, this early release was not what the Country were assured would happen

No, state sponsored murder is still murder and if it was an effective deterrent nobody would be sitting on death row in America. This opinion does not mean I am sympathetic to people who commit heinous crimes, the worst offenders should be locked away to for life without parole to protect society.
I will play my hand now
I am in the same mind set as your good self
I don’t start many threads but I am quite interested in this subject, always have been, hopefully it can be a good debate.
Very interested in all opinions

All I can say is while our Justice system allows convicted Killers out after only a few years, some of which go on to commit Crimes again

The call for Capital Punishment will not go away, perhaps grow

Those of us who supported it at the time were worried that some Innocent would hang in error
When Capital Punishment was abolished, this early release was not what the Country were assured would happen
And they did
Derek Bentley

There has to be no doubt of guilt......
Great point
Having spent time on a jury it’s so very I interesting what we see in the press and what we see as a jury
Hence as a jury it’s demanded of us not to look at the case outside of the courtroom
A good barrister can be very persuasive

I think the world is a very different place now, back in those days it was a deterrent to a degree, but I think the mentality has changed now, if it was brought back, I think those that commit pre meditated murder, would be prepared to kill off anyone who could be a witness to save their own skin.
Life should mean exactly that, Life, no parole.
In the Cases of manslaughter, where no one set out to kill anyone, no weapons involved, it just happened, they should and do get looked at differently.

It's the only part of the national fronts 70s manifesto remaining to be enacted by the tory government

That really is garbage. NF policies included compulsory 'repatriation' of all ethnic minority immigrants, indeed that was their key objective, and no mainstream political party have ever advocated any such measure in the UK.

I've done jury service. Possibly the most boring 2 weeks of my life.
Mine was most odd and far from boring
The accused was a very naughty boy and the prosecution kept on referring to him doing other stuff but as we know you aren’t allowed to know about that
So every time the barrister did it the defence said “point of law your honour” and we were hauled out of court
This happened numerous times a day so we never got the chance to be bored

Mine was most odd and far from boring
The accused was a very naughty boy and the prosecution kept on referring to him doing other stuff but as we know you aren’t allowed to know about that
So every time the barrister did it the defence said “point of law your honour” and we were hauled out of court
This happened numerous times a day so we never got the chance to be bored
Mine was a load of waggon trailers that had been nicked by a gang of crooks. 1 had about £40,000 of booze on it, another was filled with toblerones.
The prosecution ballsed up their case and the jury was hung. Then came a week or so of sitting around waiting to be called again.
Narrowly avoided that case with the woman from leyland who killed her kid. Didn't want any of that.

And they did
Derek Bentley
Yes which as I said, was the reason I supported it be abolished at the time

BUT it doesn’t reflect what we were assured about the sentencing

Out after a possible eight years, doesn’t seem a deterrent to me

And is NOT about revenge, it’s about safety for the rest of us

Yes which as I said, was the reason I supported it be abolished at the time

BUT it doesn’t reflect what we were assured about the sentencing

Out after a possible eight years, doesn’t seem a deterrent to me

And is NOT about revenge, it’s about safety for the rest of us
Well the answer isn't to therefore revert back to murdering people, we need to press our elected leaders for justice/sentencing reform.