PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Capital punishment

Do you agree with Capital Punishment?

• Yes

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • No

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Yes- but only in exceptional circumstances

Votes: 16 30.2%

• Total voters
I did it back in 1998 at Preston.... I know what you mean about boring - there is a lot of sitting around doing nothing.

I got on two cases , but it still only occupied 3 of the 10 days....

The first case was very interesting but extremely harrowing - a grandad sexually assaulting his granddaughter
Lovely.

Interesting you knew that ;)

EooD3H7XYAAaxNP.jpg

As i said, the only one remaining is the death sentence something, I believe, our present Home Seretary is a great advocate of.

Edit:

How forgetful of me not to mention "Windrush," Ernest.

So having enough familiarity with recent UK politics to realise what you are saying is highly selective and deliberately so for purely contemporary sectarian purposes is in some way suspect? Perhaps the reality is that you exemplify the slogan that was plastered on the walls in 1984: 'Ignorance is Strength'.

I’ve voted yes.

This country is going down the pan with the amount of murders.

Its plain for everyone to see, there is little respect for human life or the law and it’s about time a real deterrent was brought back.

Some of these little cunts, I’m sorry but that’s what they are, who go around stabbing people to death before laughing and taking the piss in court might just think twice about doing this sort of stuff if they know they’ll be getting the death penalty themselves.

Last edited:
If someone hurt my kids I would want to cause them physical harm,

The end.
But if someone did something heinous to one of my girls I think I would kill them given the opportunity.
Ive voted no, pretty much for the same reasons that @Winkytinky has stated.

However I cant find an argument against either of the 2 statements above.

I voted yes in exceptional circumstances.
Hindley, Brady, West etc.
Without doubt there have been some miscarriages of justice in the past but policing methods, DNA tracing, forensic science have all come a long way and in some cases, guilt is just overwhelming.

If it is 100% certain that they did the crime - as in caught on camera, etc - then yes. Otherwise life imprisonment without parole.

I did it back in 1998 at Preston.... I know what you mean about boring - there is a lot of sitting around doing nothing.

I got on two cases , but it still only occupied 3 of the 10 days....

The first case was very interesting but extremely harrowing - a grandad sexually assaulting his granddaughter
Did it myself in 2002 in Preston.

Both cases disgusting

First was an 11 year old lad accused of attempting to rape an 8 year old boy.

Found guilty

Second was a historic sex crime.

A man from Blackpool had sexually abused his brothers and sisters when they were children.

Found guilty.

Not nice things to be hearing in either case I can tell you😔

I’ve voted yes.

This country is going down the pan with the amount of murders.

Its plain for everyone to see, there is little respect for human life or the law and it’s about time a real deterrent was brought back.

Some of these little cunts, I’m sorry but that’s what they are, who go around stabbing people to death before laughing and taking the piss in court might just think twice about doing this sort of stuff if they know they’ll be getting the death penalty themselves.
I can see what you are saying, you are right the Country is going down the pan. I can recall when a single murder was headline news and on TV as the main story but those days are long gone. Having said that, it’s the accumulation of lack of proper parenting, discipline, Police, education, cut backs on everything and the introduction of social media that has changed rather than people. All these things have combined and conspired to change the moral ethnicity throughout the Country. I blame those making the decisions on all these things first, middle and last, they have created a monster.

Just on the topic of Jury Duty, it made me laugh how people were turning up in their best suits thinking that they’d be picked on how they looked. I went smartly dressed for the first couple of days before thinking i Just want to be comfy, so I wore my trackies for the rest of the time😂

As Ando said, you can be sat there, bored stiff for days, before you get a case, that’s if you get one.

I had to wait until the end of Wednesday of the first week before I was picked. That trial finished on the Tuesday Morning and I was picked again later that day.

Last edited:
This in interesting.
The last vote in Parliament on whether to bring back capital punishment was in 1969.
35% voted in favour of it.
Looking at our poll albeit early days, 5 of 14 have voted for its return. 35%
I think that will increase over the coming days.

Just on the topic of Jury Duty, it made me laugh how people were turning up in their best suits thinking that they’d be picked on how they looked. I went smartly dressed for the first couple of days before thinking i Just want to be comfy, so I wore my tacky s for the rest of the time😂

As Ando said, you can be sat there, bored stiff for days, before you get a case, that’s if you get one.

I had to wait until the end of Wednesday of the first week before I was picked. That trial finished on the Tuesday Morning and I was picked again later that day.
I was selected purely because the judge attends our candlelight suppers

I understand some of the reasoning behind people supporting capital punishment, it's such an emotive issue but one reason that does not and never has stood up to scrutiny is that it ever has or ever will be an effective deterrent, there is no credible evidence that it acts this way. If you look to America (its the obvious example to use) states that have the death penalty do not have lesser crime/murder rates than those that don't.

I understand some of the reasoning behind people supporting capital punishment, it's such an emotive issue but one reason that does not and never has stood up to scrutiny is that it ever has or ever will be an effective deterrent, there is no credible evidence that it acts this way. If you look to America (its the obvious example to use) states that have the death penalty do not have lesser crime/murder rates than those that don't.
My knee jerk reaction to that, is that I don't think the deterrent thing should come into it.
It's more a case of the punishment fitting the crime.

This in interesting.
The last vote in Parliament on whether to bring back capital punishment was in 1969.
35% voted in favour of it.
Looking at our poll albeit early days, 5 of 14 have voted for its return. 35%
I think that will increase over the coming days.

It is generally assumed that a referendum on capital punishment would record a vote in favour of its restitution and that the only reason that has not happened is because the prospect horrifies the 'political class' that has established itself as a sort of semi-autonomous presence.

Curiously Preston has a couple of recent associations with this subject. The last executions in this country were in August 1964, simultaneous hangings in Liverpool and Manchester of two men convicted of the murder in Seaton of an associate in a robbery. But they actually lived in Preston - details here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_John_Alan_West

Also in the first half of the 1950 the UK's most prolific and highest profile hangman Albert Pierrepoint had a pub The Rose and Crown in Much Hoole. It is not a place I know and I understand the pub is now an Indian restaurant. But I would guess that when he travelled to carry out executions in other parts of the country he may well on occasion have started out at Preston railway station though I don't know that for certain.

My knee jerk reaction to that, is that I don't think the deterrent thing should come into it.
It's more a case of the punishment fitting the crime.
Punishment?
XX years removed from society with most of your rights and life’s general enjoyments removed.
Or
An end to your life - leaving effectively nothing.

where I struggle is the American system, years of not decades of appeal after appeal which in some cases ends up being a life sentence

Just on the topic of Jury Duty, it made me laugh how people were turning up in their best suits thinking that they’d be picked on how they looked. I went smartly dressed for the first couple of days before thinking i Just want to be comfy, so I wore my trackies for the rest of the time😂

I got picked as foreman, but the case was halted part way through and i was forced by the judge to say not guilty. Also, i had to chuckle when i saw the very posh sounding defence Barrister outside rolling a fag

I got picked as foreman, but the case was halted part way through and i was forced by the judge to say not guilty. Also, i had to chuckle when i saw the very posh sounding defence Barrister outside rolling a fag
I was the foreman for my second trial.

Seeing how the freak was charged with about 10 different counts I had to stand there and say guilty 10 times.

It felt a bit weird saying a word that is changing someone’s life forever for the worse, even though they deserved it.

I would have no problem with some truly evil monsters who have devastated lives and families being put down. However some should deffo be imprisoned for a full life term with no chance of parole.
Say the lockerbie bomber or an isis murderer.
Its not coming back lets face it.
Albert pierpoint had the Rose and Crown at Hoole.. My mum used to work there.