PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

šŸŽ¶Riis is the word.šŸŽ¶

It shouldnā€™t even be a question of who starts most matches.

Offers so much more than any other striker we have.

disagree personally I think maguire offers more but I think riis could improve given more time and coaching.

we need another striker that's certain, sadly we won't pay the 3mil+ it will cost

It shouldnā€™t even be a question of who starts most matches.

Offers so much more than any other striker we have.
he doesnt if he has to play with his back to goal but does when he can run in behind (i.e. Reading & Brum).

Last night suited him because it was just about running - though timing the runs was way off 1st half... got better 2nd half.

His hold up play and layoffs facing our players is very poor (yet) hence we cant get forward.

Maguire is better at this but not the running behind anymore or holding off bigger CH's (which is supposedly why Ched was signed)..

he doesnt if he has to play with his back to goal but does when he can run in behind (i.e. Reading & Brum).

Last night suited him because it was just about running - though timing the runs was way off 1st half... got better 2nd half.

His hold up play and layoffs facing our players is very poor (yet) hence we cant get forward.

Maguire is better at this but not the running behind anymore or holding off bigger CH's (which is supposedly why Ched was signed)..
Sorry but I think thatā€™s rubbish. In his best games, and even in games where heā€™s been patchy, heā€™s laid on some great chances for teammates. Think Pottsā€™s opportunity last night and a couple during the Huddersfield game a while back. When heā€™s confident, he likes to take on the opposition and heā€™s very much a creative outlet.

Think he has a lot more to his game than just running in behind.

His layoffs were the reason Potts and Sinclair got so involved second half. And allowed Molumby to get forward too

He was offside a lot in the first half but once Neil had a word at half time he was much better, linked up the play well and started to focus his runs better. Also worth noting we started playing more through the middle and not just pumping aimless balls down the wing.

Worked better when Sinclair and Potts got closer to him so as to not being as isolated.

He even won us a great free kick in the last seconds which was clever play.

He needs a run of games, I still believe he has the talent from what I have seen.

He is still learning the game and how to adapt to different games.

Michael Jackson was a fan on IFollow, said strikers who are always willing to run are rare and that he liked how he altered his runs after being caught offside in the first half. Good CB and done ok in management. Also in the 300 club?

I think we've got a quality player on our hands personally.

I watched the game via Blues TV which obviously had Birmingham commentators. They were full of praise for Riis and saw him as the danger man throughout the match.

Funny how others see things
Totally agree, time for Maguire to be taken out of the firing line, he looks shot to pieces. Time to give him a few weeks rest before his lack of confidence kills him.

I wonder if he was mistiming his runs in the first half because he was anxious about getting on the end of them with the wind carrying them and the ball running on on the slick pitch? Whatever the reason he was much better in the second half. He should start on Sunday and his performance against Reading away should boost his confidence and be a worry for the opposition.

Sorry but I think thatā€™s rubbish. In his best games, and even in games where heā€™s been patchy, heā€™s laid on some great chances for teammates. Think Pottsā€™s opportunity last night and a couple during the Huddersfield game a while back. When heā€™s confident, he likes to take on the opposition and heā€™s very much a creative outlet.

can we agree to disagree..... and I'm only referring to when he has his back to his CH's and he has to take it in and then pass it off.....not when he is moving forward (ie the pass to Potts was great).

I'm happy to be proved wrong in coming weeks, when we play teams who dont press high..... and I HOPE Riis does prove me wrong....

He has the making of a dangerous player for us but I think he needs to work on his hold up play more in training.

can we agree to disagree..... and I'm only referring to when he has his back to his CH's and he has to take it in and then pass it off.....not when he is moving forward (ie the pass to Potts was great).

I'm happy to be proved wrong in coming weeks, when we play teams who dont press high..... and I HOPE Riis does prove me wrong....

He has the making of a dangerous player for us but I think he needs to work on his hold up play more in training.
Of course. Thereā€™s plenty of work still to be done.

100% this is fact. Birmingham played a very high back line so Riis played most of the game facing their goal, not his own. Facing his own goal he is way less effective, hence better performances to date are away from home or as a sub at Deepdale when the opposition are chasing the game. Pretty simple stuff really.

Maguire is an all round poor footballer, every aspect of Riis's game is better ! It's not even up for debate.

This in a nutshell.

Riis link up play is very good.

This in a nutshell.

Riis link up play is very good.
Agree, he's very good at cutting it back inside for someone when he's got in behind. Like the chance he laid on for Potts yesterday.

Maguire is an all round poor footballer, every aspect of Riis's game is better ! It's not even up for debate.
Technically, Maguire still has plenty of ability, good touch and he holds it up well for his size. Still got that anticipation too.

Just zero acceleration these days and no confidence in front of goal.

I'd like to see him given a go playing behind Riis.

as I said, happy to be proved wrong when we play teams who defend differently to Brum....and hopefully Reading will be afraid of him after his performance down there.

but I agree with Mooney when facing his own goals...
Football has gone shi'ite when we are more bothered about how good a striker is with his back to goal than how good he is facing and bearing down on goal.
I hope that the playing with 1 sole striker on the half way line, fashion with no intent in getting the ball into the final third is just a passing phrase, bring back proper crosses from wide positions for FORWARDS to attack.
Its pass, pass, pass in unthreatening positions for ages and then a hoofball to somebody - they might as well have done hoofball to ages before.
What's the point?
Pass forward with a purpose and then get a cross in so that a forward can become a proper striker!!
Football at the moment is dire and uninspiring.

Football has gone shi'ite when we are more bothered about how good a striker is with his back to goal than how good he is facing and bearing down on goal.
I hope that the playing with 1 sole striker on the half way line, fashion with no intent in getting the ball into the final third is just a passing phrase, bring back proper crosses from wide positions for FORWARDS to attack.
Its pass, pass, pass in unthreatening positions for ages and then a hoofball to somebody - they might as well have done hoofball to ages before.
What's the point?
Pass forward with a purpose and then get a cross in so that a forward can become a proper striker!!
Football at the moment is dire and uninspiring.
Would help if had wingers/fullbacks that could cross to be fair