PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Plastics v Nobbers

If he goes for a point after that embarrassment of a performance at home, i'd be pretty much fuming, especially if it doesn't come off. This game means a hell of alot to the fans, plus i don't want another rendition of pisstaking texts from a couple of Plastics mates!
Barring our last ho me game with them, we've been the dominant force out of the 2 since 2015. We need to get back to this
I'm in the same boat and have a couple of plastic mates, I bet those fuckers have got me on speed dial now in readiness for Friday, gotta admit I'm not looking forward to this!!!

Whatever line-up he goes for, we won’t get hammered. 😐

We might get beat, but not by a big scoreline.

AN will set up to smother the midfield and kill the game (as he often does), with the hope of snatching something on the break.

If, of course, they get the first goal, well, ‘that kills us’ and then the priority will be keeping the score down (again, as we’ve seen before).

One crumb of comfort though, I had a look at the Rovers forum and there’s almost as much anti-Mowbray feeling as there is about AN on here.

Apparently he’s boring and negative. 😳

Ha! They ain’t seen nothing yet. 😏

AN will set up to smother the midfield and kill the game (as he often does), with the hope of snatching something on the break.

If, of course, they get the first goal, well, ‘that kills us’ and then the priority will be keeping the score down (again, as we’ve seen before).

One crumb of comfort though, I had a look at the Rovers forum and there’s almost as much anti-Mowbray feeling as there is about AN on here.

That first goal business does my head in.

I would go with that team but leave Evans in the team. He deserves to keep his spot.

It was a tough call. Put Riis in on the hope he’d be able to run the channels and stretch their defence. Although if they’ve got young defenders in then could make sense to start Evans so he can bully them.

That first goal business does my head in.
I mean it's not even particularly true, off the top of my head there's Huddersfield, Brentford and Derby in the cup where we haven't scored first and won.

It is a big thing currently though, especially in an even league like this as teams put big emphasis on killing and managing games out. If you watch Championship games on Sky then the vast majority are two sides cancelling each other out and nicking a goal, look at top of the league Norwich.

On the subject of midfield, we lost the game at Deepdale in the midfield. Holtby took the pure p*ss for 90 minutes and we couldn't lay a glove on them.

The thought of Molumby and Whiteman in there makes me feel better now but I'm caught in two minds about Ledson at the moment. Seems out of form and I'd like to put DJ back in there for some creative edge but can't see us going for it away at Ewood under AN.

So
I mean it's not even particularly true, off the top of my head there's Huddersfield, Brentford and Derby in the cup where we haven't scored first and won.

It is a big thing currently though, especially in an even league like this as teams put big emphasis on killing and managing games out. If you watch Championship games on Sky then the vast majority are two sides cancelling each other out and nicking a goal, look at top of the league Norwich.
So it's the vogue to stifle teams, not lose that first goal and hopefully win on the counter, hence why games are dull. I'd also speculate it creates a massive amount of pressure. Not saying that it's the case at PNE, or that it is AN's message pre-game. But generally it's a poor message to put to players IMO.

We’ve drawn the joint fewest games in the division (3), that suggests when we go a goal down we struggle to get anything from a game. We’re excellent at holding on when we’ve got a lead but if we don’t get the first goal it causes us huge problems.

If he goes for a point hoping to nick three...we're screwed
If he goes to match them up (his fav)...we're screwed
I really can't see owt for us, never felt this negative before a match.
It's usually when we feel at our most negative that PNE produce a performance & get a result that surprises us all. I sincerely hope this is the case on Friday but I'm nervous about this game whatever line up we have. We have lost an established spine. I've recently arrived at the conclusion that I'm not going to allow PNE to shape my mood for the weekends

AN said he came on because we were looking susceptible to the counter attack as we were pushing a few too many bodies forward.

VDB is far quicker than Hunts which is why he came on. Would expect him to start on Friday as I don't want to imagine Hunts and Lindsay against Armstrong and Elliot.
Can I ask if Storey is completely out of the equation?

We’ve drawn the joint fewest games in the division (3), that suggests when we go a goal down we struggle to get anything from a game. We’re excellent at holding on when we’ve got a lead but if we don’t get the first goal it causes us huge problems.
Off the top of my head I think we've won 7 points from losing positions. 3 from both Brentford and Huddersfield and 1 against Wycombe.
Also lost 5 from winning positions. 3 against Barnsley and 2 against Norwich.

it just means we go for a win at all costs and accept sometimes you lose that way....

no side that sets out to draw 23 games can only manage to draw 3 !

Don't think he's in favour so can't see him getting in the first team any time soon, no.
That is s shame. There was a period a couple of seasons back where he was paired with Davies & looked assured & accomplished. The arrival of Bauer and his subsequent long spell warming the bench seems to have left him devoid of confidence. I still believe there is a very good player there

If AN does decide on a different forward selection there is no way Potts should be selected ahead of Sinclair.
A significant factor in this game could probably be the unavailability of Holtby, their midfielder who ran the show at Deepdale. I think this gives us more of a chance of controlling midfield, so, I expect a draw at least.

I can't be assed looking but are we that much different from the other mid-table sides in the league in that respect?

There's no denying we lack the creative quality to break down teams who protect a lead but I was slightly encouraged by Saturday's performance, even though we lost. Gordon looks like exactly what we've missed for years and I think Whiteman showed he can dictate things.

If AN does decide on a different forward selection there is no way Potts should be selected ahead of Sinclair.
A significant factor in this game could probably be the unavailability of Holtby, their midfielder who ran the show at Deepdale. I think this gives us more of a chance of controlling midfield, so, I expect a draw at least.

I've got no problem with Potts playing on the left in this game, it suits him quite well to match the physicality and energy of Nyambe

The issue is because he was brought on totally unnecessarily last week the fan's reaction would be overwhelmingly negative.

Off the top of my head I think we've won 7 points from losing positions. 3 from both Brentford and Huddersfield and 1 against Wycombe.
Also lost 5 from winning positions. 3 against Barnsley and 2 against Norwich.
We’ve taken 6 points from 16 games we’ve conceded the first goal in. I don’t know the stats for other teams but that seems ridiculously low for a side in mid table.

Theres obviously exceptions but we’re mentally fragile when we go behind in the first half, especially at home.