PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

The lad clearly has ability and pace, but goodness me he needs to be sharper. he has wasted scoring opportunities with his ponderous dallying on the ball, very frustrating. He would do well to emulate Evans attitude and work rate.

The lad clearly has ability and pace, but goodness me he needs to be sharper. he has wasted scoring opportunities with his ponderous dallying on the ball, very frustrating. He would do well to emulate Evans attitude and work rate.
I don’t think you can question his attitude and work rate. Just not getting the rub of the green at the minute. He’s got goals in him. Just needs a couple to get his confidence back.

FWIW, I don't think he's a natural finisher. Definitely a side of his game that needs improving.

He’s infuriating. One moment brilliant, the next incompetent. His inability to hang onto the ball and relieve pressure in the last 10 mins last night had me literally hopping madly across the room. Has a lot to learn.

He’s infuriating. One moment brilliant, the next incompetent. His inability to hang onto the ball and relieve pressure in the last 10 mins last night had me literally hopping madly across the room. Has a lot to learn.
He is 22, moved country in a pandemic and this is his first season at this level. We paid £1.2m for him. Some Championship clubs would spend more than that on a 2nd choice full back

Could have gone down for a pen last night but was determined to stay on his feet

He will be an asset he is going to need a season or two like hugill

We will probably get one good season out of him them sell him on knowing us

Could have gone down for a pen last night but was determined to stay on his feet

He will be an asset he is going to need a season or two like hugill

We will probably get one good season out of him them sell him on knowing us

Agreed.

His build up play for his chance was excellent. Got clipped which could have been a penalty which made him scuff his shot a little.

Very difficult to make an impact coming off the bench.

I still believe his has the talent to be a very good striker for North End.

Soon as Riis misses his chance his head goes down, confidence looks a little shot at the minute and do feel for him, not getting the rub of the green at the minute and has slipped down the pecking order somewhat.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him keep a front two and Sinclair joining Evans up top.

The lad will turn out to be a good footballer. Needs more experience.

The signing of Ched Evans was a masterstroke. Maguire was not good enough up top on his own, neither was Stockley. Riis needed more time to learn and come on as an impact sub, due to the signing of Evan's he has that time now.

Of all the strikers we’ve got Riis is by far and away the one most likely to make his mark on the game at the highest level. 22 years old, fast, skilful, tall, reasonably strong and only going to get stronger. He’s already shown multiple times what a handful he can be and personally I’d shy away from suggesting he’s got much to learn from Evans with the latter only having played two games for us.

One of my concerns is that we continue to play a style of football which always lends itself to needing a big bruiser up front instead of one which allows the likes of Whiteman, Molumby and Johnson to piece together a passing game which lets a rapid striker like Riis cause havoc.

Sure, he’s got to work on his craft and his guile and to become more ruthless with the opportunities he gets but I’m pretty certain he will. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t turn into a top player for us (and if he doesn’t then I bet he does at another Championship club).

Riis will be an asset to us, there is no doubt about it. He has everything but a bit of composure in front of goal but I believe that will come with experience. He could/should have gone down last night but again, experience will teach him that.

I'm confident he'll come good - just needs time. I've seen enough to know he clearly has the ability.

He got himself into a great position where he almost scored last night - that little nutmeg was sublime. Maybe he should've scored but after watching it back on replays, I think he actually did well to get a shot away after being knocked off balance.

We should've had a penalty but Riis is an honest bloke who isn't a cheating, petulant tosser like Sam Gallagher.

Of all the strikers we’ve got Riis is by far and away the one most likely to make his mark on the game at the highest level. 22 years old, fast, skilful, tall, reasonably strong and only going to get stronger. He’s already shown multiple times what a handful he can be and personally I’d shy away from suggesting he’s got much to learn from Evans with the latter only having played two games for us.

One of my concerns is that we continue to play a style of football which always lends itself to needing a big bruiser up front instead of one which allows the likes of Whiteman, Molumby and Johnson to piece together a passing game which lets a rapid striker like Riis cause havoc.

Sure, he’s got to work on his craft and his guile and to become more ruthless with the opportunities he gets but I’m pretty certain he will. I’ll be very surprised if he doesn’t turn into a top player for us (and if he doesn’t then I bet he does at another Championship club).

Why wouldn’t he learn from someone with 90 league goals in 191 starts?