PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

He needs to learn two things that sound the same, he needs to be more clinical and also more cynical !!! All the raw material seems to be there, give the guy a chance.

Through his own ability and quality he's had opportunities like yesterday where he does all the hard work, the fact he gets through is promising,. finishing will come, still quite young, new to the league and like others have said moved country during a pandemic.

Agreed.

His build up play for his chance was excellent. Got clipped which could have been a penalty which made him scuff his shot a little.

Very difficult to make an impact coming off the bench.

I still believe his has the talent to be a very good striker for North End.
We have seen it on a few occasions when he receives the ball in a one on one he does have the pace and skill to run at and hurt the opposition.
Last night he stayed on his feet when he was clipped by the Rovers defender, Gallagher for them would have done a triple salchow in a similar position.
The clip was enough to put him off his stride and off balance rushing his shot which was straight at their keeper.
Would you want him throwing himself on the floor at any and every opportunity like Gallagher and conning officials in to giving penalties, or showing determination to stay on his feet and create the opportunity to score, I'm sure with more game time, confidence and composure the goals will come. 👍😀

Through his own ability and quality he's had opportunities like yesterday where he does all the hard work, the fact he gets through is promising,. finishing will come, still quite young, new to the league and like others have said moved country during a pandemic.

100% agree. He is a young lad and very naive at this stage. Should have gone down to win us a penalty, yes, but did excellently to create the chance by nutmegging Braithwaith and burning him for pace. Not sure any of our other players would have done as well to work the chance - maybe Sinclair. Very impressed with the way he likes to run at defenders and put them on the back foot. I think next season will be a big year for him. Definitely an exciting prospect

Riis seems to have a chance every game he plays and that’s only a good thing.

He’s only young! Next season could be a good one for him.
He does, in the limited game time he's had he's never been anonymous. He's always found chances, won at least one penalty and been a handful for defenders. Extremely promising player.

nugent would have been the best man to coach him. its his postioning off the ball more than anything that needs work

He's still learning, but has all the raw attributes to be a fantastic striker at this level. Coming on and immediately having the confidence to nutmeg Branthwaite isn't the sign of a player who lacks belief for me.

Maybe should have gone down, but no complaints from me about wanting to take the chance himself. It's good that all the pressure isn't on him anyway. Evans physicality and nastiness are good things for him to learn, as are Maguire's delicate touches and knowledge of when to go down for the good of the team.

No PNE player will ever have everything. But making the most of the attributes they do have is how we can succeed.

Hugill looked like a bit of a donkey when he was first thrown into the deep end at this level and it took him a couple of years to look like a decent Championship striker.

Riis is young, raw and has come from a different country. He needs time to understand the level, understand what the manager wants from him and become more streetwise.

He clearly has the potential to become a very good striker in this league but it will take time, and Evans coming in has bought us more time in terms of bedding Riis in.

Entirely agree that he has ability and will need some time to settle in, not sure he can be taught to make better decisions. Good age though, so here’s hoping that he comes good.

I've said it a few times, he reminds me of Nmecha when he was with us - can beat defenders, carry the ball at pace, a bit unpredictable, good attributes. But the decision making is occasionally poor, he makes the wrong run at times and he's not confident in front of goal.

12 months down the line I think we have a big money player.

The correct runs and right decisions come with time and experience.

This to me.
He created an opportunity most of our recent strikers wouldn't have even got into the position to do.
He just needs to add that split second of composure and add the finish.
He already causes defenders problems with much more to come.

If he was an expert finisher with all his other attributes at this stage, no way he signs for PNE for £1.2m. We need to be patient and work with him. Callum Robinson couldn't hit a cows arse in his early days but we coached his finishing. I think we will see a similar development in Riis.