PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Darren Drysdale

Pisses me off when a Ref calls a player over, player obviously hears him multiple time as he jogs off 30 or 40 yards away.

The Ref then walks up to the twatty player. WTF? Who is running the game?

In the words of Frank...

Nooooooooooooooo!

The Ref should never walk, he should remain where he is, wait for said twatty player to come over and give him a Yellow Card for Dissent (walking away) followed by a Yellow Card, if merited, for the foul concerned.

Soon put a stop to this nonsense.

When I did my refereeing course when I was 14, they told us all that you are supposed to go to the player. Still don’t really understand that, completely undermines your position as the referee.

When I did my refereeing course when I was 14, they told us all that you are supposed to go to the player. Still don’t really understand that, completely undermines your position as the referee.
Correct.

You don't see this in Rugby.

Interesting. Did this guidance stretch to when a player jogs off and pretends not to hear?

For me, common sense would say that “going to the player” (rather than summoning him) is the right thing to if he’s 15 yards away. But if he’s 30 yards away, approach him and signal to meet ‘half way’ - and never go to a player who is deliberately ignoring you and walking away.

Pisses me off when a Ref calls a player over, player obviously hears him multiple time as he jogs off 30 or 40 yards away.

The Ref then walks up to the twatty player. WTF? Who is running the game?

In the words of Frank...

Nooooooooooooooo!

The Ref should never walk, he should remain where he is, wait for said twatty player to come over and give him a Yellow Card for Dissent (walking away) followed by a Yellow Card, if merited, for the foul concerned.

Soon put a stop to this nonsense.

Hadn’t seen this and despite me saying I’ve little sympathy for refs, I totally agree.

If the player doesn’t instantly walk over to the ref, give them a yellow.

What did Jim Parker do? He’s a relative of mine. I know he was a top-level referee but that’s it.
The referee, Jim Parker, is to face a Football League inquiry after complaints from West Bromwich Albion that he swore at one of their players during a 4-3 defeat at Stoke on 19 September, in which seven players were booked. Parker, from Preston, is suspended until the hearing on 11 November.

Interesting. Did this guidance stretch to when a player jogs off and pretends not to hear?

For me, common sense would say that “going to the player” (rather than summoning him) is the right thing to if he’s 15 yards away. But if he’s 30 yards away, approach him and signal to meet ‘half way’ - and never go to a player who is deliberately ignoring you and walking away.

Didn't we concede a goal a couple of seasons ago because the ref made one of our defenders come to him on the half way line, then allowed the other team to take a quick free kick and they scored through the gap left by our defender being out of position.

Captained by Alex Murphy OBE , believe they won 4 trophies

Somebody said they saw him as a speaker after his managerial career , apparently there was no edge to him ; it was what do you want to talk about ?

* Allegedly tried to strangle Wigan's Maurice Lindsay with his own telephone cord .

There was some sort of a altercation anyway ! & a sacking .

Could have played football professionally but thought it was a bit soft

Captained by Alex Murphy OBE , believe they won 4 trophies

Somebody said they saw him as a speaker after his managerial career , apparently there was no edge to him ; it was what do you want to talk about ?

* Allegedly tried to strangle Wigan's Maurice Lindsay with his own telephone cord .

There was some sort of a altercation anyway ! & a sacking .

Could have played football professionally but thought it was a bit soft

I am led to believe that his actions in the '66 Cup Final (Saints 21 Wigan 2) led to a change in the rugby league offside law. Murphy kept deliberately going offside which in those days meant a scrum down. Wigan played that final without a recognised hooker so the Saints kept winning the ball back and dominated possession - this was in the days before the 4/6 tackle rule so providing you didn't knock on or otherwise lose possession you could keep the ball indefinitely.

Station Road, Swinton. I was there that day. 2 weeks earlier we had battered Wigan in the Cup Final. Great times.
Did you encounter Minnie?
I don't really like rugby, either code, but once went to Knowlys Road. My ex father in law was a Wigan fan and I went with him, Boxing Day 1986. I can't remember who won, but, at the same time, PNE drew 1-1 at Crewe, thanks to a long range Bob Atkins goal.

Good Wigan team there - I get what the referees are doing , keep the game going and the ball live , and the spectators want to see fast running and good handling which you don't always ! Get in Union games - though there are people who can certainly play and score good tries

?

Good Wigan team there - I get what the referees are doing , keep the game going and the ball live , and the spectators want to see fast running and good handling which you don't always ! Get in Union games - though there are people who can certainly play and score good tries

?

You might remember there were a couple of cross code games played a number of years back between the two dominant teams which at the time were Wigan and Bath.
I can't recall the exact scores but I do remember the Union game was quite a close run thing with about 10-15 points between the sides in Bath's favour.
The game played under RL laws was about 60 points in favour of Wigan.
My memory could of course be playing tricks.🏉

You might remember there were a couple of cross code games played a number of years back between the two dominant teams which at the time were Wigan and Bath.
I can't recall the exact scores but I do remember the Union game was quite a close run thing with about 10!15 points between the sides in Bath's favour.
The game played under RL laws was about 60 points in favour of Wigan.
My memory could of course be playing tricks.🏉
Just checked.
RL 82 points to 6. Ouch!
RU 44 points to 19.

Did you encounter Minnie?
I don't really like rugby, either code, but once went to Knowlys Road. My ex father in law was a Wigan fan and I went with him, Boxing Day 1986. I can't remember who won, but, at the same time, PNE drew 1-1 at Crewe, thanks to a long range Bob Atkins goal.

Sadly no but I do vaguely recall the punch up - I'd be about 9 at the time. I also went to the '66 semi-final v Dewsbury which was also mentioned in the article. I was expecting an easy win because Dewsbury weren't that good but it turned out to be a close game.

Boxing Day and Good Friday was always Saints v Wigan, used to alternate between Knowsley Road and Central Park each year. 2 great grounds, wish they hadn't demolished them.

Like football, rugby league was better in the '60s and '70s.

I know nothing about RL.

Union occasionally suffers from a few scrum re-sets but, on the whole, I’ve found it more entertaining than footy over the last five years.

A good ref can actually enhance the game too.