PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Tramway bridge closed on Avenham Park.

Then if the pitches at Grafton were flooded you had to do cross country back down the Tram Road, touch the bridge and then back to the old pavilion.
Don’t know if it was an oversight but I remember once having to run through some ridiculously (dangerously) flooded fields. Upper part of thigh-deep where I was wading - unable to see where you were putting your feet and not knowing the depth of water either side of me!

I don’t recall teachers marshalling the route.

Sorry to read about Mr Billington. He didn’t teach me, I don’t think- my memory is crap, - but seemed a decent bloke.
@cpnend - shocking behaviour. I remember lads funnelling in from the side and being a bit annoyed!

I used to really enjoy the cross country - once I got over the disappointment of footy being off. I would be in the battle for 2nd-4th but there was a lad called Naylor in our year. I’ll swear he was already showered and dressed before anyone else got back

I do remember occasionally we had to turn left at the Tram Bridge and run down the side of the river, over a style and back past the Winkley Square convent pitches, which I think were the ones with the cow pats.

I loved the cross country days of my PE lessons at school.

Lostock Hall County Secondary, as it was called then.

It was a nightmare.

We'd set off from the school gates and along Todd Lane to the old railway station Todd Lane Junction. Down the steps we would go, trying not to tumble, to the dilapidated platform. We then had to leap down onto the track bed. You then had to start adjusting your step to coincide with the sleepers. A couple of hundred yards later it was back up the railway embankment and over the fence back onto the school playing field. All this time trying to catch the leader. It was too late. Neville Schultz was already back in the changing rooms. We could never catch him. As we got showered the fag smokers would slowly return after hiding out on route. Health and safety? We gave no f*ck! :)

I loved the cross country days of my PE lessons at school.

Lostock Hall County Secondary, as it was called then.

It was a nightmare.

We'd set off from the school gates and along Todd Lane to the old railway station Todd Lane Junction. Down the steps we would go, trying not to tumble, to the dilapidated platform. We then had to leap down onto the track bed. You then had to start adjusting your step to coincide with the sleepers. A couple of hundred yards later it was back up the railway embankment and over the fence back onto the school playing field. All this time trying to catch the leader. It was too late. Neville Schultz was already back in the changing rooms. We could never catch him. As we got showered the fag smokers would slowly return after hiding out on route. Health and safety? We gave no f*ck! :)
“Try telling that to the kids of today and they won’t believe yah”. Happy days. 😃

That is good news. I must admit, I thought it would never happen, particularly since I realised a few months ago, biking into Preston on the path from Lostock Hall that you can cycle across the river on the old East Lancs Railway bridge just downstream. I knew you could walk across but for some reason seemed to recall there were fairly steep steps to negotiate on the Preston side, which would make it a bit awkward with a bike. That's no longer the case - maybe improvements were made on that side when the Tram Bridge closed?

Preston City Council is to be handed £20m to spend on a package of works that will include the replacement of the city’s currently closed old tram bridge between Avenham Park and Penwortham.

That is good news. I must admit, I thought it would never happen, particularly since I realised a few months ago, biking into Preston on the path from Lostock Hall that you can cycle across the river on the old East Lancs Railway bridge just downstream. I knew you could walk across but for some reason seemed to recall there were fairly steep steps to negotiate on the Preston side, which would make it a bit awkward with a bike. That's no longer the case - maybe improvements were made on that side when the Tram Bridge closed?
The improvements were made long before the Tram Bridge was shut. At one time both slope and steps were in use until the steps were closed for safety reasons.
As an aside I vaguely remember steam trains crossing the bridge when I was young. There is still evidence of the divide between pedestrian and steam train.

Still waiting for the 'Imminent collapse' of this bridge.
Funny how they managed to find millions to spend on two pointless cycle lane botch jobs that nobody uses, in Broadgate and Penwortham. But this popular cycle bridge - zero. Until now!?
Work needs to be consistent and regularly, not when the bridge is falling to bits....two bridges not far from me, getting necessary maintenance done as it is needed. I thought of the 'Tram Bridge' when I saw this today......

Work to start on Teddington bridges

Work will start on Monday 26 June 2023 on repairs to two footbridges over the River Thames at Teddington Lock.
The suspension footbridge main structure and lock cut iron truss footbridge together create a vital connection between Teddington on the south side of the river, and Ham on the north.
Cllr Alexander Ehmann, Chair of Richmond Council’s Transport and Air Quality Committee said:

“These bridges provide a connection that sees very high usage, so the Council is committed to investing in their upkeep and ensuring they remain resilient for many years to come.

“We’ve worked hard with contractors to minimise the impact of these much-needed repairs and provide access throughout the vast majority of the works. Through the use of special, lightweight access systems, the bridges can be kept open for most of the works and, subject to any unforeseen issues, there should be very minimal impact to those residents who use the bridges as a vital part of their daily travel to work, school or to local amenities.

Looks like they might finally be getting this re-built, not sure on the design myself, but at the end of the day, its just a bridge

Just a bridge?

It’s an area of natural beauty which deserves great respect! This is what’s wrong when people don’t appreciate style and nature intertwining. Plus rugged architecture against the backdrop of our great river and surrounding banks!

Plus I once got a fumble on there from a girl from the Brig. Cracker she was but I don’t think I was her first rodeo!

Whilst maybe not to most exciting of designs, etc, I am just happy it looks like it will be being done.

I had been rather convinced for a while that they were going to look at the area, point out there is already another bridge and bin the whole thing off.

I'm sure it said on the news that funding has come from the Levelling Up fund 🙄

As much as I welcome the bridge I'm not sure how it helps to level up the North v South.

What's next, we should be grateful that the next replacement Fishergate bollard was funded from HS2.

I'm sure it said on the news that funding has come from the Levelling Up fund 🙄

As much as I welcome the bridge I'm not sure how it helps to level up the North v South.

What's next, we should be grateful that the next replacement Fishergate bollard was funded from HS2.
Ahh, it gets you from South ribble to North ribble.