PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Frankie McAvoy

What love in? He's hardly played ffs.

The problem I have, and many others, is that we've treated him like shit. That's hardly going to encourage Premier League clubs to loan players to us who need game time is it?

I know. Liverpool and Leicester must be gutted they loaned us their players.

You say ‘what love in’ yet there are still
Some fans crying because he isn’t playing despite us winning three in a row so there must be some ‘love in’ for them to want him to play so much.

How have we treated him like shit FFS. I would rather we treat our current players well than some
Wannabe from Everton.

He's done enough to be given the job ( even if its only short term) ... I don't see how that can be argued.
The prevailing counter argument would surely be that the upturn in results might just be yet another case of ‘new manager bounce’.

The prevailing counter argument would surely be that the upturn in results might just be yet another case of ‘new manager bounce’.

It's not an argument.It's unproven. Recent results support my statement. I've no idea if he will be successful long term but my comment stands. imho

Dilemma time now. How do you fire an interim coach with a points total like this with such an average, flawed team? We all bang on about Barnsley being the model of what we should do (and rightly so) but Frankie and the boys just spanked them.
You have got to remember that Barnsley had nothing to play for.... they were already in the play offs and the players dont want to get injured..

Having said that 14 points from a possible 21 cant be sniffed at - i still dont want him as our perm manager though.

It’s getting harder and harder to justify bringing in a new manager who doesn’t know the squad, over Frankie. A big decision has to be made, I don’t envy TH and PR.

It's not an argument.It's unproven. Recent results support my statement. I've no idea if he will be successful long term but my comment stands. imho
It’s hardly an unproven argument IMO. There have been countless examples over the years of new managers coming into clubs, replacing either a declining regime or one that’s gone stale, and their team experiencing an instant reversal of fortunes. I’m not saying this is what’s benefitted Frankie but it’s not a rare phenomenon.

It’s hardly an unproven argument IMO. There have been countless examples over the years of new managers coming into clubs, replacing either a declining regime or one that’s gone stale, and their team experiencing an instant reversal of fortunes. I’m not saying this is what’s benefitted Frankie but it’s not a rare phenomenon.

Aye, it happens a lot- multiple factors at work, just a freshening up of the way things are done to reduce the staleness or the fact that new tactics or team selections usually come into play, making you harder to set up against effectively- it's definitely a thing.

Really hard decision for the club at this point.

In this particular case it's unproven and that's what we are discussing. I've no idea if he will be successful but I believe he's earned the right to try. Only a few weeks ago many on here were worrying about relegation and where the next point was coming from. I think we've won 3 or 4 etc since then.. Of course he might flop but to elbow him out now wouldn't be right.

Last edited:
Aye, it happens a lot- multiple factors at work, just a freshening up of the way things are done to reduce the staleness or the fact that new tactics or team selections usually come into play, making you harder to set up against effectively- it's definitely a thing.

Really hard decision for the club at this point.

Of course it is and if you'd used the same argument to usurp ( chuck out) Peters, Moyes and Davis ? That wouldn't have been a smart move would it?

Last edited:
You have got to remember that Barnsley had nothing to play for.... they were already in the play offs and the players dont want to get injured..

Having said that 14 points from a possible 21 cant be sniffed at - i still dont want him as our perm manager though.
You’re an idiot

In this particular case it's unproven and that's what we are discussing. I've no idea if he will be successful but I believe he's earned the right to try. Only a few weeks ago many on here were worrying about relegation and where the next point was coming from. I think we've won 3 or 4 etc since then.. Of course he might flop but to elbow him out now wouldn't be right.
So does it only become proven once he takes the reins and starts to stutter (again, not saying this will happen)? I don’t think it’s possible to establish a single, dominant cause for our recent upturn in form. One argument holds just as much sway as another IMO. Neil leaving, players feeling like they’re being given a fresh start, Frankie’s tactical adjustments- these things might all be contributing to it.

Frankie has made it clear he’s “simplified things” but I do think we have to ask ourselves whether a simple paring back of AN’s rigorous tactical demands will reward us in the long run.

Of course it is and if you'd used the same argument to usurp ( chuck out) Peters, Moyes and Davis ? That wouldn't have been a smart move would it?

The whole point is that you have to look at them on an individual level and their plans for the job going forward. Nobody's saying that a caretaker can't become a successful manager, or that Frankie shouldn't get considered, just that a handful of wins on the back of a shite season doesn't make him the messiah.

Equally we've sacked off successful caretakers before, Kelham, Grezza and Unsworth too. It's a hard decision. I hope the folks in charge have a long term plan in mind and hire based on that.

For every successful interim-to-permanent managerial appointment, there’s one that doesn’t turn out so well.

I don’t think you’re wrong to back Frankie at all but claiming there’s no sound argument against his appointment is wide of the mark IMO.

I very much hope the board is strong enough to evaluate his credentials against the job description.

The job that is needed from here is quite different to the rather unique task of an emergency caretaker role that he’s just excelled at.

Cool heads are needed - the board not to feel bounced into handing him the job for the wrong reasons. Frankie has surely shown he’s a highly credible candidate though.