PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Frankie McAvoy

So does it only become proven once he takes the reins and starts to stutter (again, not saying this will happen)? I don’t think it’s possible to establish a single, dominant cause for our recent upturn in form. One argument holds just as much sway as another IMO. Neil leaving, players feeling like they’re being given a fresh start, Frankie’s tactical adjustments- these things might all be contributing to it.

Frankie has made it clear he’s “simplified things” but I do think we have to ask ourselves whether a simple paring back of AN’s rigorous tactical demands will reward us in the long run.

Of course... How else can it be " proven" ? We can " ask ourselves " what we want..Time will tell

It’s Franky’s job for me, he just could not have done any more. To not offer him the job could be viewed as a betrayal and would warrant some serious explanation. Let’s face it, any appointment will be a gamble, at least we know that Franky has got the results (bar the Brentford fiasco)’, the clean sheets, and against the top clubs in the division. What’s more he’s continued to play 2 up front, what’s not to like?

I'm here too. Franky cannot in any way stake a claim for a long contract which to me makes him more appealing than all of the other candidates. A short 12 month one is suitable with a clear date set for extension should this form keep going is sensible for both parties and would see a significant wage rise for him plus a chance to get his name out there as a Championship level manager.

Remember the commotion at Cov when they sacked Eric Black after a similarly brilliant interim spell, brought in another manager and it all fell to shit?

The two up front thing, totally agree. It might mean you get tonked 5-0 now and again but who cares if the form is good and we are actually going out to win the games.

Well done to him.

The whole point is that you have to look at them on an individual level and their plans for the job going forward. Nobody's saying that a caretaker can't become a successful manager, or that Frankie shouldn't get considered, just that a handful of wins on the back of a shite season doesn't make him the messiah.

Equally we've sacked off successful caretakers before, Kelham, Grezza and Unsworth too. It's a hard decision. I hope the folks in charge have a long term plan in mind and hire based on that.

Who's claimed that? No One. All I've said is that he's earned a short term contract for next season,

Of course... How else can it be " proven" ? We can " ask ourselves " what we want..Time will tell
Likewise, your assertion that Frankie is solely responsible for our improvement can only be proven, or disproven, once he’s given the job on a full-time basis and so isn’t yet a fact.

I very much hope the board is strong enough to evaluate his credentials against the job description.

The job that is needed from here is quite different to the rather unique task of an emergency caretaker role that he’s just excelled at.

Cool heads are needed - the board not to feel bounced into handing him the job for the wrong reasons. Frankie has surely shown he’s a highly credible candidate though.

Totally disagree. The job is to squeeze as much from the first team as possible and will be in the new setup.

We need to all get our heads around the Head Coach thing. They aren't going to be rebuilding the club, Ridsdale is (harrowing I know, but true). The contacts, the knowing the league, the ability to spot a player...all these qualities we've looked for previously just won't matter as he probably will get little to know say in transfers.

Frankie's good at polishing turds. That's the first bullet point on the job description for me as we are gonna be signing the square root of bigger all in terms of quality.

Still not 100% on it, but won't grumble if he gets it.

For every successful interim-to-permanent managerial appointment, there’s one that doesn’t turn out so well.

I don’t think you’re wrong to back Frankie at all but claiming there’s no sound argument against his appointment is wide of the mark IMO.

All I said was that he's earned the right to a short term contract for next season..Nothing more and nothing less.

I very much hope the board is strong enough to evaluate his credentials against the job description.

The job that is needed from here is quite different to the rather unique task of an emergency caretaker role that he’s just excelled at.

Cool heads are needed - the board not to feel bounced into handing him the job for the wrong reasons. Frankie has surely shown he’s a highly credible candidate though.
I agree to a point, but i also hope that they were serious in implying he could make a strong case for the job.
He has a different more relaxed approach than AN but yet still knows the Players add to that a few new additions of sufficient quality and with Gally as assistant to bring freshness and new ideas.
Personally i dont see any outstanding outside candidate to bring in anyway.

Likewise, your assertion that Frankie is solely responsible for our improvement can only be proven, or disproven, once he’s given the job on a full-time basis and so isn’t yet a fact.

Then you agree that humping him out would be a bit silly?

I agree to a point, but i also hope that they were serious in implying he could make a strong case for the job.
He has a different more relaxed approach than AN but yet still knows the Players add to that a few new additions of sufficient quality and with Gally as assistant to bring freshness and new ideas.

Agreed. Literally everyone looks as much of a gamble.

I dont think FM himself would say that he has been solely responsible, he has without a doubt been strongly influential though.

All I said was that he's earned the right to a short term contract for next season..Nothing more and nothing less.
He’s probably earned the right…but I’m just not sure he’s the right man.

But then again, what do I know? Couldn’t tell you with any greater degree of certainty that Ainsworth, Appleton or any other candidate would do a better job than Frankie would.

You have got to remember that Barnsley had nothing to play for.... they were already in the play offs and the players dont want to get injured..

Having said that 14 points from a possible 21 cant be sniffed at - i still dont want him as our perm manager though.

In all fairness Ando WE had nothing to play for so the argument could be used both ways

Frankie is certainly putting forward a good case to get the job and is putting pressure on the hierarchy to give him the job. If Frankie doesn’t get the job, he will certainly have put the new man under pressure to hit the ground running.

I think we’re more than “partly” in agreement, based on that post!

No idea if FM will get the job, but what a fantastic upturn we have had since he took over. An unbelievable turnaround as we were shockingly bad last month or two under AN. I just couldn’t see any points coming, and now somehow comfortably mid table (huge relief)!

Well done FM, bloody brilliant work sir ! 😎

PNE