PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

If not Neil then who?

Did anyone expect him to say sorry lads great effort but I’m off to Preston enjoy your end of season .

Although I originally wanted Appleton - and still think in the longer term he would be the best choice for Preston’s playing budget and his coaching ability , I suspect the last few games has secured FM the job, with Gally as assistant. (And no doubt a cheaper option than bringing somebody in) . I also suspect it will suit Ridsdale as he knows he will have a strong element of control over signings. After all - the head coach title could almost be written to accommodate FM’s appointment. I don’t detect there’s are overwhelming feeling of excitement on the forum about this prospect mind! But you never know the good aspects of AN’s reign might have been largely FM’s benign influence, before AN went rogue! What are the bookies odds at the mo ?

The worry for me in appointing FM is that there is often a bounce when a change of manager occurs but this often peters out before very long. There are two good examples in the Championship this year. Holden at Bristol City and Tindall at Bournemouth were both promoted to the top job and things went OK for them for a while but once things started going downhill they were unable to adapt and were soon shown the door.

On the other hand is there really anyone out there and available financially who we could confidently expect to do a better job?

The worry for me in appointing FM is that there is often a bounce when a change of manager occurs but this often peters out before very long. There are two good examples in the Championship this year. Holden at Bristol City and Tindall at Bournemouth were both promoted to the top job and things went OK for them for a while but once things started going downhill they were unable to adapt and were soon shown the door.

On the other hand is there really anyone out there and available financially who we could confidently expect to do a better job?

For me it’s 1 of 3 and at this present moment in time I’d have any of them....
McAvoy, Davidson or Ainsworth in no particular order

In theory, the "head coach" approach means this shouldn't matter.

Firing head coaches after 6 months if they're not working out should become pretty much the norm, rather than persevering with a manager for 4 years, say, giving him ever more generous contracts that make it ever more expensive to get rid of him when he starts screwing up.

In theory.

I’ve been an advocate of Ainsworth & still am. But feel unless the club are prepared to back him then keeping Frankie is probably the best option.

if we’re not prepared to overhaul our defence with genuine quality then I’d say the 5-3-2 is here to stay as it gets results & we’d be solid but not spectacular. I fear for Sinclairs future in that formation as he’s very a much a ‘luxury’ in that formation.

If we sign Lindsay on a permanent it will a clear bellwether of which way we’re heading....

I’d have SVDB & Iversen back for sure.

Barky’s contract needs nailing down now.

As others have said - huge couple of months ahead.....

I’ve been an advocate of Ainsworth & still am. But feel unless the club are prepared to back him then keeping Frankie is probably the best option.

if we’re not prepared to overhaul our defence with genuine quality then I’d say the 5-3-2 is here to stay as it gets results & we’d be solid but not spectacular. I fear for Sinclairs future in that formation as he’s very a much a ‘luxury’ in that formation.

If we sign Lindsay on a permanent it will a clear bellwether of which way we’re heading....

Wouldn't think signing Lindsay permanently would be a bad thing, lad has played well recently.

Wouldn't think signing Lindsay permanently would be a bad thing, lad has played well recently.
Agree.
He maybe had an uncertain start due to lack of games but now that he's had a few under his belt he looks far more 'Match' fit.
I feel too many people make instant judgements and are unable or unwilling to change there original viewpoints.
I think he's proved quite sound over the last few games, presumably with a proper pre season under his belt he would carry on in the same vein

If we want to improve then we need to be upgrading on players like Lindsay. We can do better imo.

As jamesOB says above too, Bauer will be returning and there is little point having Bauer, Huntington AND Lindsay all in the same squad. We need to add someone a bit more mobile.

We've fallen into the trap of signing mediocre loan players quite a few times in recent years, I hope we don't do it with Lindsay.

But good luck to him anyway, he hadn't kicked a ball for 12 months before he came in. He hasn't done too badly in the past few weeks and his prospects of finding another club will be improved as a result.

Fans expectations are high. I don't think a top 6 finish next season is realistic unless the club spends additionally in the tens of millions and even then it may not work out. Whoever is in charge will soon come under the criticism of many fans.

In theory, the "head coach" approach means this shouldn't matter.

Firing head coaches after 6 months if they're not working out should become pretty much the norm, rather than persevering with a manager for 4 years, say, giving him ever more generous contracts that make it ever more expensive to get rid of him when he starts screwing up.

In theory.
Whilst I am not a keen advocate of this method, I can see some of its merits and it works for Watford.

Maybe it is because I value loyalty but on the flip side, they are well paid (off) I suppose.

too many points from the 'luck' going our way... or points gained by a very good goalkeeper... Too often outplayed...(even today forest were a level above us) as with the other poll, a winning team is best...however, FM has done a great job but with him in charge I have no excitement for a team good enough to compete at the top half of the Championship next season

Too often outplayed?
We was the better side v Swansea, Derby, Coventry and Barnsley. That’s already half his matches.
Swansea we scored a 90th minute own goal but our performance deserved that.

Saying Forest were level above us is complete and utter rubbish in my opinion. Brentford were a level above us - we lost 5-0. Forest didn’t win their individual battles when it mattered.

Why does Lindsay get this treatment on here?

I think he’s been great considering he’s not played a game in how ever long at Stoke and has come in and contributed massively towards a huge defensive improvement and chipped in with a couple of match winning goals.

Perhaps there are better options but to say we’re heading downwards if we sign him, come on, get a grip.

FWIW my shout at LBC would be Robert Atkinson at Oxford, looks a right player. I’d be going for a double deal with him and Brannagan.

Whatever happens we need someone who can sort our defence out. We have been riding our luck at the back in recent games and we never looked solid at all yesterday. Lindsay has done a job but he isnt the answer. Game after game we give the opposition so many decent chances and we have to rely on the brilliance of Iversen too often. Total shots faced this season I bet we’re right up there with the worst of them!

It baffles me how people think we can get Mcann. It's a sideways step for him. In fact he will probably be backed better in the summer than what he would here. We're no bigger than Hull.