PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

New forum features - introducing 2 way ignore.

Can you find them via the search on the Members page then un-ignore?

View attachment 3070

By the way, for completeness of feedback, this method didn’t work. For the previously mentioned reason, he is unfindable.

TBH - that iggy feature seems too strong. If someone started a controversial thread, and at some point that person two-way ignores me - or if I ignore them, then the entire thread should not disappear from me.
Similarly, I would also expect that all trace of that person should disappear.

By the way, for completeness of feedback, this method didn’t work. For the previously mentioned reason, he is unfindable.

TBH - that iggy feature seems too strong. If someone started a controversial thread, and at some point that person two-way ignores me - or if I ignore them, then the entire thread should not disappear from me.
Similarly, I would also expect that all trace of that person should disappear.

It will no longer do this.

I have just switched on a bypass which means all threads will be seen, even by ignored users.

This is fantastic news! That's Nobber and Raefil straight on ignore who are forever bullying and teasing me about my rugged good looks! :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, it's a great feature and will certainly make the 'ignore' feature do what it should and will make all the mods' jobs easier!
I was grooming you 🙄

As a side note.

The option boxes to have the two way ignore and for not to view indervidual posts has been automatically enabled for all users.

If you wish to change this setting you can go to the Ignored section and turn this on or off.
Ladies and Gentlemen

This years award for the best individual spelling 2021 goes to.............

Not too keen on this idea. Last year I had an issue with Sliper inventing fictional "quotes" and attributing them to me which I could see and challenge him for making up.

Now people can place you on ignore, you can't see things like that going on (don't mention flags...)

Following on from this, the 2 main problems with the "2-way Ignore" are:

1. As soon as a prolific poster ("X") puts you on Ignore with "2-way Ignore" enabled on their account (which was inexplicably the default setting when the feature was introduced, so many people may not even know it's enabled on their account), vast swathes of the forum become unreadable.

Not only do you not see prolific poster X's posts, you don't see X's posts when quoted by others either.

Whole conversations become impossible to follow, because you can only see one side of them, and you have no idea what they're responding to (or in many cases, talking about).

Under normal Ignore, posts are hidden but can be selectively un-hidden, so this problem does not occur.

But "2-way Ignore" offers no such facility - it's very much "1-way" in this respect.

If it was implemented properly (which it isn't), "2-way Ignore" would only apply if poster X has Ignored poster Y and poster Y has also Ignored poster X, with both posters also having "2-way Ignore" enabled on their accounts.

2. "2-way ignore" applies to everyone on your Ignore list, which is ludicrous.

People can be put on Ignore for lots of different reasons - they might be genuine trolls or stalkers, sure, but they might just be repetitive, irritating, or posting too often.

It makes no sense for this draconian forum setting to tar all these people with the same brush.

"2-way ignore" only works as a concept if it can be selectively applied per Ignored account - so you can switch it on for the serious bellends, but leave it off for the posters who you'd generally like to see a bit less of, but you're happy to see what they're posting about when a discussion is impossible to follow otherwise.

It's simply a flawed concept and a flawed setting as implemented here, which doesn't solve the problem it purports to solve, while creating a whole lot of collateral damage.

@Thracia

A mind blowing concept which I am about to promote but...

... how about everyone actually behaved themselves in the 1st place?

Like I said, mind blowing!!

For the record, Pre-Mod, I have never had anyone on ignore. Mods cannot ignore nor be ignored. No idea if Pre-Mod I was ever on someones ignore.

I can see both sides of the argument although I refer people to my solution of actually behaving.

@Thracia

A mind blowing concept which I am about to promote but...

... how about everyone actually behaved themselves in the 1st place?

Like I said, mind blowing!!

For the record, Pre-Mod, I have never had anyone on ignore. Mods cannot ignore nor be ignored. No idea if Pre-Mod I was ever on someones ignore.

I can see both sides of the argument although I refer people to my solution of actually behaving.
That's rather too simplistic though - some people who (I have deduced) have put me on Ignore definitely haven't put me there because I have "misbehaved" with them - because I have barely interacted with them!

I suspect a lot of the time, people are put on Ignore simply because they disagree with their opinions.

The implication of offering "behave better" as a solution is, we all just have to have the same opinion, then the problem will go away!

As I stated - there are many reasons why someone might want to put someone else on Ignore - it's not just because of "misbehaviour", so it can't be solved simply by "behaving better".

And when that simple fact is grasped and understood, it becomes obvious that "2-way Ignore" is a completely broken feature.

Following on from this, the 2 main problems with the "2-way Ignore" are:

1. As soon as a prolific poster ("X") puts you on Ignore with "2-way Ignore" enabled on their account (which was inexplicably the default setting when the feature was introduced, so many people may not even know it's enabled on their account), vast swathes of the forum become unreadable.

Not only do you not see prolific poster X's posts, you don't see X's posts when quoted by others either.

Whole conversations become impossible to follow, because you can only see one side of them, and you have no idea what they're responding to (or in many cases, talking about).

Under normal Ignore, posts are hidden but can be selectively un-hidden, so this problem does not occur.

But "2-way Ignore" offers no such facility - it's very much "1-way" in this respect.

If it was implemented properly (which it isn't), "2-way Ignore" would only apply if poster X has Ignored poster Y and poster Y has also Ignored poster X, with both posters also having "2-way Ignore" enabled on their accounts.

2. "2-way ignore" applies to everyone on your Ignore list, which is ludicrous.

People can be put on Ignore for lots of different reasons - they might be genuine trolls or stalkers, sure, but they might just be repetitive, irritating, or posting too often.

It makes no sense for this draconian forum setting to tar all these people with the same brush.

"2-way ignore" only works as a concept if it can be selectively applied per Ignored account - so you can switch it on for the serious bellends, but leave it off for the posters who you'd generally like to see a bit less of, but you're happy to see what they're posting about when a discussion is impossible to follow otherwise.

It's simply a flawed concept and a flawed setting as implemented here, which doesn't solve the problem it purports to solve, while creating a whole lot of collateral damage.
Just for clarity you can see the context of the addon through the link at the bottom of each page. these addons are developed based on feedback from multiple forums rather than just here. I agree it can feel a bit blunt with what options are available but also can understand from a code/logic and also personal perspective the issue causes i.e. if you want to ignore someone but they don't have to respect it in reverse then it doesn't always fix the issues it tries to address (the annoyance vs trolling argument is a good example). If it was enhanced and had a more granular set of functionality I'd find it a lot better solution and be more supportive but at the same time as per other posts, I also know why we've ended up here in the first place. It's a conundrum that we lose users one way or another, neither solution works 100%

That's rather too simplistic though - some people who (I have deduced) have put me on Ignore definitely haven't put me there because I have "misbehaved" with them - because I have barely interacted with them!

I suspect a lot of the time, people are put on Ignore simply because they disagree with their opinions.

The implication of offering "behave better" as a solution is, we all just have to have the same opinion, then the problem will go away!

As I stated - there are many reasons why someone might want to put someone else on Ignore - it's not just because of "misbehaviour", so it can't be solved simply by "behaving better".

And when that simple fact is grasped and understood, it becomes obvious that "2-way Ignore" is a completely broken feature.
Totally disagree here.

You can have differing opinions whilst remaining civil.

We both had a solitary spat last week with each other yet here we are, all forgotten (I have anyway whilst I suspect you have, too) and conversing in an adult fashion.

It can be done.

Totally disagree here.

You can have differing opinions whilst remaining civil.

We both had a solitary spat last week with each other yet here we are, all forgotten (I have anyway whilst I suspect you have, too) and conversing in an adult fashion.

It can be done.
I agree with that, of course (because here we are!). :LOL:

But in practice, this is what happens a lot of the time:

Poster X is discussing something on the forum.​
Poster Y is just reading - poster Y is not interacting with X in any way in the discussion.​
But poster Y disagrees with X, and decides they don't want to read opinions they disagree with on the forum.​
So poster Y sticks poster X on Ignore and gets on with reading the forum.​

That's the way it works in reality.

And if "2-way Ignore" is enabled, that locks poster X out of all the future posts made by poster Y, on any subject, not just the subject Y originally disagreed with.

And please note (because it's important) - poster X has no idea that poster Y is Ignoring them, and has no idea why they are Ignoring them!

I agree with that, of course (because here we are!). :LOL:

But in practice, this is what happens a lot of the time:

Poster X is discussing something on the forum.​
Poster Y is just reading - poster Y is not interacting with X in any way in the discussion.​
But poster Y disagrees with X, and decides they don't want to read opinions they disagree with on the forum.​
So poster Y sticks poster X on Ignore and gets on with reading the forum.​

That's the way it works in reality.

And if "2-way Ignore" is enabled, that locks poster X out of all the future posts made by poster Y, on any subject, not just the subject Y originally disagreed with.

And please note (because it's important) - poster X has no idea that poster Y is Ignoring them, and has no idea why they are Ignoring them!
Fair points.

Maybe everyone should just grow up and display a tad more humility towards each other? Even when disagreeing.

I mean, at the the end of the day (3pm), we are all on the same team.

Ando has me on ignore and I’ve never spoken to him that I can remember. It’s annoying cos he posts in pretty much every single thread. At least I don’t have to read the fucking inane hat trick talk anymore though I suppose.
Same here - and all I ever used to do was Like his posts. 🤷‍♂️

(Except the ones about the bloody hattrick - maybe that was my downfall...)