PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Birds that visit your garden

We get the usual Magpies, Wood Pigeons, Blackbirds, Tits etc. There's one that visits from time to time, brown, a little scruffy looking and small.
Our neighbour replaced the hedge with a wall, so I guess we'll see numbers fall.

Saw a jay once or twice at our place in Herts. Very pretty.

Birdlife seems a bit different in Belfast.

Spotted a treecreeper next door to our flat and a bullfinch out the front of the house, neither of which I’ve ever seen before.

Lots of hooded crows about which are pretty much absent in England.

We get a decent number and range of common species in our garden.

We did that bird survey thing a few months back - where you watch your garden for an hour on a specific weekend and count the birds that land. I think we had 2 sparrows and 1 robin in the whole hour. Totally unrepresentative- but it was snowing and dank and late - going dark towards the end . The survey didn’t ask about time of day or size of garden you’re surveying or weather conditions - which surprised me.

Indeed Raefil. Was one on the fence the other day and I’m hoping to encourage some more.

Had a small flock of long-tailed tits a couple of months back but they’ve disappeared!

The following are plentiful:
Blackbird
Wood Pigeon
Collared Dove
House Sparrow
Dunnock
Robin
Long tailed Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Coal Tit
Goldfinch
Starling
Magpie
Crow/Rook

Now and again:
Greenfinch
Jay
Chaffinch
Thrush
Sparrowhawk
Heron
Willow Tit (rare elsewhere but Lancashire Chorley/Wigan area is a stronghold).

Saw a jay once or twice at our place in Herts. Very pretty.

Birdlife seems a bit different in Belfast.

Spotted a treecreeper next door to our flat and a bullfinch out the front of the house, neither of which I’ve ever seen before.

Lots of hooded crows about which are pretty much absent in England.
More bullfinches over there, definitely, only ever seen a few in Chorley, used to be much more plentiful (40 years ago). Treecreepers in Chorley but never seen one in the garden.

More bullfinches over there, definitely, only ever seen a few in Chorley, used to be much more plentiful (40 years ago). Treecreepers in Chorley but never seen one in the garden.
Strangely we just had a coal tit in our garden, I dont think ive seen one out there before.

Lancashire bucks a few trends birdwise. For example when the sparrow population plummeted, it held up better here.
We’ve got so many here you get sick of the noise of them fighting 😁

Lancashire bucks a few trends birdwise. For example when the sparrow population plummeted, it held up better here.
We’ve got so many here you get sick of the noise of them fighting 😁
And again, strangely, weve had a lack of Sparrows in our garden until this spring. Not seen them for a few days now either.

Lucky to see one like that, they don’t stay out in the open for long 👍
Incredibly shy bird. We did see him last September but was only flying between trees and only the once so we are amazed that this time hes been coming in the garden quite regularly.

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to some of the more rarer species of birds , but our garden is constantly filled with wood pigeons, magpies , robins etc but also we have got lots of cheeky squirrels.... They live in next doors tree and then obviously when looking for food I see them skipping along the top of the fence.. They come right up to the french doors and have a peep in.