PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Who agrees with Ben Pearson’s view on our transfer policy?

I hope he regrets his decision to leave, he clearly didn't want to be here and had a dig when he left. Long may we live rent free in his head and we do the double over them next season. But that saying he's a good player and I would have him back if he sorted his attitude out.
There’s not a chance in hell he regrets it. He didn’t have a dig at all, just pure bitterness that.

There’s not a chance in hell he regrets it. He didn’t have a dig at all, just pure bitterness that.
i think its a given he will regret going there, i dont think he will regret leaving us for one second tho. So many better options than bornemouth.

I think you're on the right lines there Ron and there's definitely elements of our fan base that are exactly the same.

Some sections of our fanbase are critical to any change, only interested in the end result but not the journey to get there and yet still expect the club to be pushing for Premier League football every season.

I mean we've got to move forward, changing a philosophy or policy isn't going to get instant results, but I'd be happy knowing that over the next 2-3 years the club could compete at a higher level in the league and become more sustainable as a club (ie rely less on Trevor's pocket) and that has to be the ultimate aim. Short term mediocrity for long-term positivity.

This isn't a criticism of Peter or Trevor at all but it gets to the point where you've got to ask, what are we doing? We've seemingly moved away from acquiring young, "point to prove" footballers and gone for a 26-32 age bracket that if they fail to meet expectations (which the majority of the signings of the past three years have), have no resale value and become a drain on our resources.

Maybe those who don't want to read what Pearson has to say just don't want to believe the truth, because if a player that's only just left the club is saying these things, you can bet your last dollar that current players are thinking the same.

I think Ben did make a good point about trying to blend the younger up and coming players with some experience from the lower leagues that they were confident would step up to the level, Potts and Bauer as two examples of this.

When did Joe Savage come on as recruitment? Did he start under Neil? Very interesting that signing players like Pearson, Ledson, Robinson, Johnson, Hugill ext was all done under Risdale and I don't think savage was at the club maybe PR deserves some credit? I'm fully willing to be shot down on that one.

What is really upsetting is could you imagine having prime Cunningham, Fisher, Davies, Pearson, Robinson, Barky, Johnson and Browne with Armstrong up front, we'd had been a serious team in the division.

Your last point is bang on, PR won't want to admit to TH he has got it wrong or has been getting it wrong and TH never gets it wrong in his eyes because he only has himself to answer to, my Grandad (who I work with) is exactly the same, being wrong to that generation is the ultimate sin.

Do you believe that just because your hero has stated his opinion on it that Trevor will suddenly stand up and take notice?

Like @JK states we have known how we operate as a club for decades, we have complained, hoping for him to wake up one day and think fook it and go for it but it will never happen.

We have been overtaken by smaller clubs and clubs who where lightyears behind us but their owners (non of which come ven close to Trevors wealth) have a vision and goals for their clubs.

Brighton, Watford, Brighton, Brentford being four that spring to mind.

We don't need a former player to tell us what we already know. Fwiw if you read @Staffordwhite excellent work you will find that many former players have already implied the same thing previously.
Pearson is far from my hero.
But to pretend what a senior expro says about the footballing side of the football club as irrelevant, which is the main job, is imo is pathetic and you deserve the club you get by backing it.
What the @FTF podcasts and investigative journalism has done is make speculation from some outside voices maybe, reality, fact, and something to be addressed by the leadership.

We've been overtaken, wasn't much to overtake to be fair, by clubs with a plan a strategy an approach that makes us look Jurassic.

i think its a given he will regret going there, i dont think he will regret leaving us for one second tho. So many better options than bornemouth.
Such as?

Also, much easier to say that ‘after’ they’ve lost in the PO’s.

He’s likely to have doubled or even trebled his salary, and still more likely to get promoted next season then us.

Do you believe that just because your hero has stated his opinion on it that Trevor will suddenly stand up and take notice?

Like @JK states we have known how we operate as a club for decades, we have complained, hoping for him to wake up one day and think fook it and go for it but it will never happen.

We have been overtaken by smaller clubs and clubs who where lightyears behind us but their owners (non of which come ven close to Trevors wealth) have a vision and goals for their clubs.

Brighton, Watford, Brighton, Brentford being four that spring to mind.

We don't need a former player to tell us what we already know. Fwiw if you read @Staffordwhite excellent work you will find that many former players have already implied the same thing previously.
Another one Barnsley - used to be very much a yo - yo team between the Championship & League 1 , Rotherham are another example , people have said the Preston MO is years out of date

They went out in the play off semi finals but the view was they'd tried their best and it was no disgrace to reach the top six

Such as?

He’s likely to have doubled or even trebled his salary, and still more likely to get promoted next season then us.
The whole idea of parachute money , keep ex Premiership players on the playing staff and try to get them back into that ' elite club '

Bournemouth will have two more seasons with parachute payments , however then there'll be changes , Middlesbrough are an example gambling with a rookie manager Jonathon Woodgate and his key staff which didn't work out and they had to send for ' Colin '

Another argument is Championship clubs acting as a nursery to get players ready to go back to their Premier League Clubs .

I believe some the Bournemouth fans like Pearson as they think he does a better job than some of their ' more exotic ' foreign players in the holding role .

" Speaking on BBC Radio 5 Live, Ridsdale, now the owner's representative at Championship side Preston North End, said: "I do think where we're at at the moment is a real opportunity to try and correct some of the problems with finance within football by seeing some of the cash from the Premier League flowing down the leagues.

"Your bottom team in the Premier League can get £96m, and then another £93m in parachute payments over three seasons, whereas teams in the Championship get £7m, teams in League One get £1.5m, and teams in League Two get £1m.

"That disproportionate flow through of cash has got to be corrected and there is no better time than now." "

I hope he regrets his decision to leave, he clearly didn't want to be here and had a dig when he left. Long may we live rent free in his head and we do the double over them next season. But that saying he's a good player and I would have him back if he sorted his attitude out.
He can play, but shocked the way he seemed to disappear off the radar unavailable or invisible when playing - never really witnessed that i don't think , most characters still want to large it - he might have done better than bournemouth - bloody minded

Such as?

i said it the day he went there, and on here, sideways step, he's so much better than them. He could have easily have stayed til end of season and gone on a free to many better clubs. Think he's missed his prem chance now sadly.

It’s a lot simpler than that. The fans will come back if we get results and look like serious promotion contenders. If we actually manage to get promotion, then plastic fans will suddenly appear.

Where attendances that great when team was actually top 18 months back?

Just checked back and that Huddersfield home game had 16k....so better than the average Saturday 3pm gate but still way off even 18k given Huddersfield would've taken a decent following.

West Brom on the Monday night was 13, 015.

Fulham on a Tuesday....10, 093! (Luton at home the following saturday got 2k more).

Two home games over xmas 2019 didn't reach 14k.

Millwall at home on Sat 15th Feb 2020 after two really good away wins at Stoke and Wigan was 12, 468.

These were all home games with team in top 6 or just outside of it.

Unless club ever get in position to sign 3-4 known names from premier league or are about 10 points clear at the top can't see even 15k home fans on regular basis given the apathy from the top.

Because of parachute payments ?? What happens if they don’t do it during that period ?

They'll just have to downsize and get better season long loans in instead.

Swansea came down in 2018 so I presume parachute payments have run out now yet they're comfortably getting in better loan signings than this club even attempts to attract.

Swansea came down in 2018 so I presume parachute payments have run out now yet they're comfortably getting in better loan signings
This coming season is their first season without parachute payments..

They'll have to cut their cloth accordingly. Ayew has left and Cooper will be utilising the loan market wisely once again you'd imagine. Helps having the network from his England U17 & Liverpool academy days.

Just listened to the second half of the FTF podcast with Pearson.

Interesting listen. Its great to see a player actually being honest and saying it how it is. His comments about Darnell leaving and never being offered a new deal are frustrating.

Its left me feeling like we're going nowhere mind, other than backwards.

The pandemic has badly affected all football clubs so it's tough for all, but I don't believe a business that is spending over £20m on staff costs (the highest in its history) despite a turnover of just over £11m has any intentions on even trying to break even anytime soon given the lack of saleable assets at the club.

A very mediocre, well-paid and aging squad with limited resale value is going to significantly hamper our ability to make any sort of profit on sales over the coming seasons.

There's spending big on a small quantity of good players and getting somewhere (like Brentford) and there's spaffing money on average players that won't get you out the Championship.

The very definition of False Economy is "apparent financial saving that in fact leads to greater expenditure".

Never a truer word spoken about our last three years in the transfer market.

we had our chance to start being a little more like Brentford too after the hugill sale. Could and should have signed moore but instead went for stockley.
Short term moore was a larger outlay but long term would have repaid the club more handsomely etc. Stockley overall will simply cost and add the the loss factor.

It's very clear from the recordings he has no real respect for the fans. Maybe the away fans, but he made it pretty clear he doesn't respect the Preston fans as a whole. A shame after the clear obsession most have with him.

He might one day, when support has gone realise the value of it it. Until then, he'll just continue to try and piss most people off

Where attendances that great when team was actually top 18 months back?

Just checked back and that Huddersfield home game had 16k....so better than the average Saturday 3pm gate but still way off even 18k given Huddersfield would've taken a decent following.

West Brom on the Monday night was 13, 015.

Fulham on a Tuesday....10, 093! (Luton at home the following saturday got 2k more).

Two home games over xmas 2019 didn't reach 14k.

Millwall at home on Sat 15th Feb 2020 after two really good away wins at Stoke and Wigan was 12, 468.

These were all home games with team in top 6 or just outside of it.

Unless club ever get in position to sign 3-4 known names from premier league or are about 10 points clear at the top can't see even 15k home fans on regular basis given the apathy from the top.
Our attendance weren't that much better in the 1960's, especially when you consider we'd just been relegated from tier 1 and we were FA cup finalists.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/pne.htm

It's very clear from the recordings he has no real respect for the fans. Maybe the away fans, but he made it pretty clear he doesn't respect the Preston fans as a whole. A shame after the clear obsession most have with him.

He might one day, when support has gone realise the value of it it. Until then, he'll just continue to try and piss most people off

Just because he didn't say that he loves every Preston fan doesn't mean he doesn't respect them.

To me he sounded like I think I'd sound if I played for us. Our away support is brilliant as he said but our home support is shit.

Deepdale is far too nice a place to come for away sides. We're too accommodating. From the facilities given to away sides to the massive ticket allocations. It goes back to the thread about the Lashers. Give them 2k tickets at £40 and make them get changed on the bus. We're too fucking soft and that's why we'll never go anywhere until it changes.

He will have wanted Deepdale to be a horrible place for teams to come and he'd have thrived off it.

Another one Barnsley - used to be very much a yo - yo team between the Championship & League 1 , Rotherham are another example , people have said the Preston MO is years out of date

They went out in the play off semi finals but the view was they'd tried their best and it was no disgrace to reach the top six

Yo-Yo club 😂🤣😂