PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Test Cricket 2021

Broad up to #6 in the all time test wickets now. Jimmy at 4.

And Jimmy in one of his simply unplayable spells right now. Absolute magic.
Thought he had got Taylor LBW , but a dreadful decision by Richard Illingworth ( not for the first time ) was over-ruled by DRS

Thought he had got Taylor LBW , but a dreadful decision by Richard Illingworth ( not for the first time ) was over-ruled by DRS
Shocking umpiring. But not sure why Taylor took so long to review it, he's all over the place.

That’s the fifth score of about 80 in the game.

Glad Taylor got a few.

Think he’s the only bloke to get 100 caps in all three formats.

Our batting line up is awful. We have no chance in Australia where you need to regularly score 400+. Even with Stokes and Buttler to come back, it's still very weak.

There’s potential in Crawley but he needs someone to work with him and the impression you get looking in is the batting coaching isn’t up to it. Who can we really say has improved as a batsman over the last few years? Pope’s gone backwards, Sibley’s a walking wicket and Bracey (who was originally there with a view to batting 3) has been in the system for a year or so and looks completely lost.

Compare that to New Zealand. They leave wide balls instead of slashing at them, they play straight instead of across their pads and commit to their shots instead of going into them half cocked. It’s easy to blame one day cricket but everyone plays one day cricket.

I‘ve thought the same watching Lancashire a few times this year but the utter ineptitude shines through brightly with England.

Well, it's been a nice moral booster for NZ. An easy warm up game for their crunch match with India next week.

What an awful batting performance. This is one of our worst top 7's in history
I’ve seen better tails too!

There must some interesting stats regarding Broad. Surely no one else has ever had such a long period of excellent batting combined with such a long period of being completely shit.

No batsman would survive a tenth of the poor run of form he’s been on for years now. And no bowler should be good enough to get the runs he got earlier in his career.

Ball moving around. Broad and Anderson bowling nicely. Shame there’s zero pressure on the Kiwis. Even 138 would have made it really interesting- but 38 is not!

Where do we go with the batting, does Malan come in to the side after his 199 in his one innings for Yorkshire. Does Haseeb open next test.

Do we go back to the likes of Lythe, Jennings, Bairstow or Vince. It would be brave to stick with Sibley, Crawley & Larwence all summer and be almost forced to then stick with them for the Ashes. No one is really breaking any pots at county level on a regular basis. Name your top 7, here's mine

Burns
Haseeb
Root
Malan
Stokes
Pope
Butler

I know Root doesn't like 3 but I don't see any options

Where do we go with the batting, does Malan come in to the side after his 199 in his one innings for Yorkshire. Does Haseeb open next test.

Do we go back to the likes of Lythe, Jennings, Bairstow or Vince. It would be brave to stick with Sibley, Crawley & Larwence all summer and be almost forced to then stick with them for the Ashes. No one is really breaking any pots at county level on a regular basis. Name your top 7, here's mine

Burns
Haseeb
Root
Malan
Stokes
Pope
Butler

God knows is my initial response!

I like Malan’s experience but he’s played 15 Tests and averages even less than the others. It’s more than possible that his recent successes with the white ball will help though. He got his big score for Yorks at three so, if you pick him, then it’s got to be there, hasn’t it?

Ages before the first game against India though.

Last edited:
We cant continue to pick Sibley. Lawrence, Pope and Crawley one or two of them have to go which will happen when Stokes and Butler come back. Not looking good for the Ashes or the upcoming series with India

Burns
Haseeb
Root
Malan
Stokes
Pope
Butler

I think that is more or like what I’d have - with Malan and Root swapping places. Malan’s averaging 199 this season (from one innings!), so on that basis they should go for the people with the best batting averages in the country’s best side so far this season.

At the moment, that’s Josh Bohannon, Matthew Parkinson and Alex Davies, none of whom will get picked for various reasons at the moment!

I’ve seen better tails too!

There must some interesting stats regarding Broad. Surely no one else has ever had such a long period of excellent batting combined with such a long period of being completely shit.

No batsman would survive a tenth of the poor run of form he’s been on for years now. And no bowler should be good enough to get the runs he got earlier in his career.
I agree and think that begrudgingly that should be the end of Broad and Anderson in the same team until we've got a top order batting line up that can score runs. I think moving forwards 2 of Woakes, Robinson and Wood have to play every game in order to give us a longer tail.

Something has gone wrong with the whole national team infrastructure. The amount of players we see scoring runs for fun in the county championship, then get called up for England and after a few weeks seem to forget the basics is frightening. I can only assume they have their natural game coached out of them in order to conform to a uniform "England way" and this is the result.

The pundits keep saying "we'll have Stokes and Butter back for the India series", completely forgetting that Buttler's keeping and batting where in question themselves during the winter!

I'm going early with the 5-0 Australia prediction.

Stokes averaging 37 and Butler 34 are hardly prolific run scorers. Bet there have not been many England teams where only one player averages over 38. I accept its very early in some of their test careers but not much sign of any consistency from the younger guns, all averaging around 30 at present.

Stokes averaging 37 and Butler 34 are hardly prolific run scorers. Bet there have not been many England teams where only one player averages over 38. I accept its very early in some of their test careers but not much sign of any consistency from the younger guns, all averaging around 30 at present.

It’s certainly not good enough in this day and age.

Think NZ fielded a top 7 who were all averaging over 40 recently.

Stokes will surely finish with an average of over 40 (more than Stewie, Athers, Lamby and Gatt!)