PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Saul St Baths/Preston Greyhound Track/Old Farts Reminiscing

Never forget clinging to the sides for dear life at Saul St with the 3 ft 3 ins tiles staring at me, :eek: if I was not going to drown, I was going to freeze to death. happy days.:)
Talk about child abuse.

What a pity they never kept any of the attractions listed open. Aside from the zoo, zoos are just full of depressed animals.
Fascinating reading that. Sounds like the zoo was a bit of a shocker though. Became run down and mismanaged in a matter of a few years. Wonder if the Victorians just ended up eating all the animals as a bit of a delicacy, would explain the high mortality rate...

Wonder if the Victorians just ended up eating all the animals as a bit of a delicacy, would explain the high mortality rate...
Probably stuck their heads on their wall or did taxidermy on them.
It's a real pity the race track didn't stay open, that could've kept a lot of the kids off the streets (providing it was affordable to watch.)

Probably stuck their heads on their wall or did taxidermy on them.
It's a real pity the race track didn't stay open, that could've kept a lot of the kids off the streets (providing it was affordable to watch.)
Always amazes me reading stuff like this (and I really know it shouldn't...) - but they had regular buses - every few minutes, from the train station out to what's now Farringdon estate.

It was 130 years ago. I'd love to time travel and just experience that for an afternoon.

It was 130 years ago. I'd love to time travel and just experience that for an afternoon.

Same here.
To see what Deepdale as an area was like back in the days of the Magna Carta, or to be a fly on the wall when the Royalists got battered on Moor Park during the Civil War.

Same here.
To see what Deepdale as an area was like back in the days of the Magna Carta, or to be a fly on the wall when the Royalists got battered on Moor Park during the Civil War.
Deepdale would have just been open countryside, there was a racetrack where Moor Park is I Beleive

Same here.
Or when they ate the first sirloin steak at Hoghton Tower. Yum. 🥩

Fascinating reading that. Sounds like the zoo was a bit of a shocker though. Became run down and mismanaged in a matter of a few years. Wonder if the Victorians just ended up eating all the animals as a bit of a delicacy, would explain the high mortality rate...
So... Looking at the old map.. Then google map current farringdon park.... The road marked private road on the left of the map bordering the cemetery is dog legged, look at current pic and its there.. Same shape. So you can then see where the park was located.

So... Looking at the old map.. Then google map current farringdon park.... The road marked private road on the left of the map bordering the cemetery is dog legged, look at current pic and its there.. Same shape. So you can then see where the park was located.
Yeah it sits on the footprint of Farringdon Close & Farringdon Crescent. Everything between the cem and Thirlmere Road.

So the new UCLAN shenanigans around Kendal St roundabout are now appearing to be complete after two years.. So whilst i will go and have a look at it i genuinely think that a main arterial thoroughfare has been irreversibly severed. The council will do owt for UCLAN but nothing to aid the dying centre..

So the new UCLAN shenanigans around Kendal St roundabout are now appearing to be complete after two years.. So whilst i will go and have a look at it i genuinely think that a main arterial thoroughfare has been irreversibly severed. The council will do owt for UCLAN but nothing to aid the dying centre..
Have to say, it looks pretty stunning on the Adelphi roundabout now. They've done a cracking job.

Have to say, it looks pretty stunning on the Adelphi roundabout now. They've done a cracking job.

Looks really impressive.

Who is footing the massive bill for all of it.