PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Czech Republic v England - 22/06/21 - KO: 20:00 - Group D

JK

I try not to fly in the face of public opinion!
Staff member
Patron
matchdayengland.png
393px-Football_Association_of_the_Czech_Republic_logo.svg.pngengland badge.jpg
Czech Republic v England
Tuesday 22nd June 2021 , Kick Off 8PM
Uefa 2020 - Group D
Wembley

London

Will be interesting to see if it’s just Mount and Chilwell potentially not playing tonight.
Seems strange that two England players are isolating but the entire Scotland squad is deemed to be fine. Looks as though it's the English FA being cautious rather than the actual rules being followed.
Personally, I don't mind that Mount won't be playing, I think we need a different option for this gameand he hasn't impressed me all that much so far.

Will be interesting to see if it’s just Mount and Chilwell potentially not playing tonight.
Good point, could have impacted a lot more players..

I am amazed that more Scotland players aren’t impacted given that they all train together day in day out…

Treading water a bit for this game. Yes it is important to keep momentum- but without any real jeopardy on the result, it’s hard to get super excited - and as much as they are professionals, it is bound to affect the mindset of the players.

It’s not even important to finish top to get an easier team in the next round.

Treading water a bit for this game. Yes it is important to keep momentum- but without any real jeopardy on the result, it’s hard to get super excited - and as much as they are professionals, it is bound to affect the mindset of the players.

Agreed. This expansion to 24 teams (starting with Euro 2016) has taken a bit of the shine off the final round of the group stages.

Keep momentum? Don’t you mean create momentum?

Agreed. This expansion to 24 teams (starting with Euro 2016) has taken a bit of the shine off the final round of the group stages.
Although last night was fantastic. But, when it comes down to it, it takes 36 games to eliminate 8 teams. I don't think there is enough depth of quality to sustain a good quality 24 team tournament, especially the way the qualifying has worked this time with the nations league.

But, of course, the choice of format and number of teams has nothing to do with getting the best quality of play.

Although last night was fantastic. But, when it comes down to it, it takes 36 games to eliminate 8 teams. I don't think there is enough depth of quality to sustain a good quality 24 team tournament, especially the way the qualifying has worked this time with the nations league.

But, of course, the choice of format and number of teams has nothing to do with getting the best quality of play.
The problem is that the new format has taken some of the excitement out of the games…. If you knew that you had to finish 1st or 2nd then you would have to go for it more…. Wales knew that even if they had finished 3rd they would have qualified from their group.

Coming to think of it, so do England tonight…

Just wait until we have 48(!) teams for the World Cup in 2026.

The problem is that the new format has taken some of the excitement out of the games…. If you knew that you had to finish 1st or 2nd then you would have to go for it more…. Wales knew that even if they had finished 3rd they would have qualified from their group.

Coming to think of it, so do England tonight…
The question is, do we want a top side at Wembley in the next round or a lesser side away?

Playing like we did against Scotland I doubt it'll make any difference who we play or where.

I think tonight is important as its a chance to find some form. Hopefully a couple of the front players stand up and take the game to the Czechs and liven things up a bit.

Projected team:

Pickford

Walker Maguire Stones Shaw

Phillips Rice (seriously)

Saka Grealish Sterling

Kane