PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - England V Germany - 29/06/21 - KO:17:00 - Last 16 - Euro 2020

Kane has largely been laboured and ineffective and you (and most others) might be right to want to haul him out of the team.

But I think Southgate was absolutely right to gamble on “carrying” him, in the hope that he comes good. (I wrote this last week too, so it’s not hindsight!)

IMO Southgate has been adventurous sticking with him - risking early elimination by carrying him, in the belief that it increases our overall chances of winning the tournament. A firing Kane is IMO the difference between a cup-winning team and one that falls short somewhere along the line. It still might not come off but there’s got to be some hope now he’s bagged one.
It's not like the alternatives are particularly exciting either. As much as I think Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a decent player, he isn't the same calibre of Kane at all and it would be a nonsense to start him over Kane in an international tournament.

Other than him, there are no other alternatives in the squad anyway. Unless you play Rashford as a striker, but he isn't really a proper number 9 and he's been well out of form himself for a while.

I think people will have to accept that Kane will start every single game we play, and the team, like towards the end today, need to find a way of supplying good service and crosses into the box.

I disagree that Kane isn't world class. He's probably in the top 5 in the world in his position. Has won the golden boot in a World Cup. Multiple golden boots in the Premier League (golden boot and assist award last season) in a team that never even wins anything.

I'm sure people will point to 3 boring, cagey group stage games as a reason why he isn't 'world class' but his record and performances over a 5-6 year period suggest otherwise.

Until the second half today, our midfielders have spent the whole tournament passing backwards and sideways, our full backs have largely been stood in our own half and our most creative player, Grealish, has been mostly on the bench.

If we can get on the front foot and be more aggressive in our attacking actions like we were today in the final half an hour, Kane will get the goals like he always does.
Kane got more service as the game went on today, and played a big part in our 1st goal, and scored the winner.

Kane isn't a problem, the service to him has been. He gets crucified for dropping too deep and not being in the box. Recent games he tries to be the last man and he's classed as not being fit as he's not dropping deep!

I’ve seen a German site saying we booed the little girl crying. Did we? If we did it’s shameful. Please say we didn’t.

I am almost certain we did not - although I understand why they might think so. FWIW - maybe you cantry to set them straight!. This is from recollection- so maybe someone could watch it back to confirm.
  • The little girl appeared on the screen and there was audible booing
  • I was mortified - although a little voice in my head was telling me that the booing didn’t sound right. If the crowd really was being unkind- it would be a totally different sound - more sarcastic laughing. Whatever- it just didn’t ring true.
  • Then I saw Mueller (I think) walking around the perimeter. Germany had been subbing someone off whilst the camera was on the girl
  • For sure IMO, the people booing were totally unaware of a little girl being on the screen. Unfortunate coincidence.

It's not like the alternatives are particularly exciting either. As much as I think Dominic Calvert-Lewin is a decent player, he isn't the same calibre of Kane at all and it would be a nonsense to start him over Kane in an international tournament.

Other than him, there are no other alternatives in the squad anyway. Unless you play Rashford as a striker, but he isn't really a proper number 9 and he's been well out of form himself for a while.

I think people will have to accept that Kane will start every single game we play, and the team, like towards the end today, need to find a way of supplying good service and crosses into the box.
Bamford would be the natural understudy to Kane, plays in a similar way (willing to drop deep, link play etc).

You can't sugar coat it, Kane has been generally awful so far and playing the way he has been playing in the system we were using just wasnt working. This wasn't completely his fault and the onus is on Southgate to find a way of getting our best goalscorer playing effectively. He did this, Grealish opened things up, Kane was able to do more of the things a forward should do and, voila.

I am almost certain we did not - although I understand why they might think so. FWIW - maybe you cantry to set them straight!. This is from recollection- so maybe someone could watch it back to confirm.
  • The little girl appeared on the screen and there was audible booing
  • I was mortified - although a little voice in my head was telling me that the booing didn’t sound right. If the crowd really was being unkind- it would be a totally different sound - more sarcastic laughing. Whatever- it just didn’t ring true.
  • Then I saw Mueller (I think) walking around the perimeter. Germany had been subbing someone off whilst the camera was on the girl
  • For sure IMO, the people booing were totally unaware of a little girl being on the screen. Unfortunate coincidence.

Wasn’t the booing for the bloke who played for England U21?

Bamford would be the natural understudy to Kane, plays in a similar way (willing to drop deep, link play etc).

You can't sugar coat it, Kane has been generally awful so far and playing the way he has been playing in the system we were using just wasnt working. This wasn't completely his fault and the onus is on Southgate to find a way of getting our best goalscorer playing effectively. He did this, Grealish opened things up, Kane was able to do more of the things a forward should do and, voila.
Again, Patrick Bamford like Calvert-Lewin is a decent enough player but he's nowhere near the level of Kane at all. Calvert-Lewin with his aerial ability might be a good sub for us off the bench, but these guys aren't capable of leading the line for England in a tournament against elite opposition. Kane is the first name on the teamsheet, he has just been a victim of a rigid and stagnant system for the first 3 games.