PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Riis

If he was an expert finisher with all his other attributes at this stage, no way he signs for PNE for £1.2m. We need to be patient and work with him. Callum Robinson couldn't hit a cows arse in his early days but we coached his finishing. I think we will see a similar development in Riis.
Agreed - a work in progress. Think some fans got a bit giddy when he signed thinking he'd be the striker we've been desperate for for 3 years. Very much a development signing in my opinion in a similar way to Bayliss.
As the manager has alluded to, what he has shown is the raw attributes to be extremely effective at this level (unlike Bayliss imo). If he develops and improves aspects of his game I think he'll turn out to be a cracking signing.

Two of our best strikers of modern times, Macken and Garner both took a long while to get going. Riis is as promising as either, and at a higher level too. He's going to be a really good player for someone, hopefully us.

Seemed a class act when he first arrived, now he looks like he's lacking confidence. Definitely a player there!

Seemed a class act when he first arrived, now he looks like he's lacking confidence. Definitely a player there!

Lacking confidence? He came onto the pitch, ran at and nutmegged a centre half, then backed himself to stay up and take the shot on rather than go down for the penalty when that same centre half tried to trip him. Seems pretty confident to me.

Lacking confidence? He came onto the pitch, ran at and nutmegged a centre half, then backed himself to stay up and take the shot on rather than go down for the penalty when that same centre half tried to trip him. Seems pretty confident to me.
He makes chances for himself. Very few strikers score one in 3, let alone one in 2 games so unreasonable to expect him to score every time he plays. According to Alex, Riis gets down when he misses a chance and doesn't focus on his strong attributes. I wanted him to get a run of games and Alex gave him that. Maybe Alex is doing the right thing in using him sparingly but he's definitely a key member of the squad and likely to be used every game.

I'll debate Stockley all day but I'll get threatened or issued with a ban. As for Riis it's becoming clear he's not up to it.
Astonishing comments !!! I could understand it if we had been spoiled with a parade of top notch strikers over the years but the opposite is true!!
We get a guy who is young, quick and strong and showing more raw potential than any we have seen probably since Macken who subsequently went on to do not much ! On top of that we have been persevering with the hapless Maguire for neigh on a year and yet you are prepared to write him off so quickly !!!
Seems ODD to me!

Astonishing comments !!! I could understand it if we had been spoiled with a parade of top notch strikers over the years but the opposite is true!!
We get a guy who is young, quick and strong and showing more raw potential than any we have seen probably since Macken who subsequently went on to do not much ! On top of that we have been persevering with the hapless Maguire for neigh on a year and yet you are prepared to write him off so quickly !!!
Seems ODD to me!
I reckon you've gone a bit over the top with your appraisal of Riis in that 3rd line!

I'll debate Stockley all day but I'll get threatened or issued with a ban. As for Riis it's becoming clear he's not up to it.
Because you are a WUM, a lasher or just plain thick. Stockley is in league one which is his level whilst Riis is still here playing for us. It’s pretty obvious to everyone why that is apart from you - the clueless clown.

I listened to the excellent FTF podcast interview with Jon Macken

He candidly describes how hard it was for him as a young man to move from Man Utd youth set up to PNE.

it took him 2 years to start firing.

I back Riis to score double figures next season and 15+ after that.

I listened to the excellent FTF podcast interview with Jon Macken

He candidly describes how hard it was for him as a young man to move from Man Utd youth set up to PNE.

it took him 2 years to start firing.

I back Riis to score double figures next season and 15+ after that.

Too right. God, anyone who remembers back that long (I was young but really getting into PNE) will remember that a fair few eyebrows were raised at Macken's first season. There were a fair few sneers that we have been conned by the powers that be at Utd. Like he says on the pod, he was struggling with the intensity and in Ashcroft and Nogan we had a very good forward line.

I would say Macken and Hugill were very similar in the way they came in with good attitudes, grafted, listened to their coaches and improved. You could argue Macken is one of the most improved PNE players we have ever had. I watched him closely at City and he was actually really good, just screwed because of injuries.

He makes chances for himself. Very few strikers score one in 3, let alone one in 2 games so unreasonable to expect him to score every time he plays. According to Alex, Riis gets down when he misses a chance and doesn't focus on his strong attributes. I wanted him to get a run of games and Alex gave him that. Maybe Alex is doing the right thing in using him sparingly but he's definitely a key member of the squad and likely to be used every game.

I think Neil will know he has an absolute talent on his hands and will be arm around the shoulder.

Much as I dislike him, the signing of Evans will actually be good for Riis as here is this guy who in a footballing sense may have less to offer but is ahead of me on aggression and attitude and physicality. It's a good lesson for a young player to learn.

Too right. God, anyone who remembers back that long (I was young but really getting into PNE) will remember that a fair few eyebrows were raised at Macken's first season. There were a fair few sneers that we have been conned by the powers that be at Utd. Like he says on the pod, he was struggling with the intensity and in Ashcroft and Nogan we had a very good forward line.

I would say Macken and Hugill were very similar in the way they came in with good attitudes, grafted, listened to their coaches and improved. You could argue Macken is one of the most improved PNE players we have ever had. I watched him closely at City and he was actually really good, just screwed because of injuries.
Looking back at footage from around that time period the main thing that stuck out from me was that Macken was just really really good. Pretty much the complete package, fast, great with his back to goal, aware, good finisher etc. Probably the only thing that kept him out of the premiership long term was a bit of height.

We got him for £250k which is probably similar to what we paid for Riis in real terms and he took a bit of time to get himself together but once he did - what a player! Have patience with Riis - he will come good in time.

Looking back at footage from around that time period the main thing that stuck out from me was that Macken was just really really good. Pretty much the complete package, fast, great with his back to goal, aware, good finisher etc. Probably the only thing that kept him out of the premiership long term was a bit of height.

We got him for £250k which is probably similar to what we paid for Riis in real terms and he took a bit of time to get himself together but once he did - what a player! Have patience with Riis - he will come good in time.

Yeah, defo. Very underrated. He had a run of games at City and England call ups got mentioned very quickly. This was back in the day when we had some really good English strikers as well.

George Hodgson asked SkyBet for odds on him for top scorer and they’ve added him to the market at 150/1. It’s very unlikely but that is pretty insane value for a striker who will start most weeks and already has 1 in 1 in the league. Put £5 on.
I'm not sure how clear cut it is for him to be starting most weeks to be honest, especially if we sign a striker (although we don't appear to have even come close to getting one so far this summer), but nothing wrong with a punt at that price regardless !

Absolutely good value but when I just went to Oddschecker to see what everyone else was offering (nobody else seems to have him listed incidentally) I noticed Robinson could be had at 16/1. If he stays fit in that team he’ll score for fun.

Absolutely good value but when I just went to Oddschecker to see what everyone else was offering (nobody else seems to have him listed incidentally) I noticed Robinson could be had at 16/1. If he stays fit in that team he’ll score for fun.

Only issue will be if he stays as their central striker- got a feeling West Brom will bring another centre forward in.