PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

World Cup every 2 years

Double J

Patron
This is gathering momentum and now looks like it could be a green light going forward.

Could be every 2 years from 2026 onwards if current proposals are agreed

Wenger says this is what the fans want. Yet every poll I've seen says the opposite.

I'd rather see the Euros every 2 years than a World Cup. I personally think the Euros are more entertaining than the World Cup.

Wenger says this is what the fans want. Yet every poll I've seen says the opposite.

I'd rather see the Euros every 2 years than a World Cup. I personally think the Euros are more entertaining than the World Cup.
I love Wenger but he's come up with a few weird ideas. I recall one about cancelling throw ins or something, and making games shorter.

We as fans already have a major international tournament every two years.

I love Wenger but he's come up with a few weird ideas. I recall one about cancelling throw ins or something, and making games shorter.

We as fans already have a major international tournament every two years.
So basically the ball is in play an average of 60 minutes. Wenger wants games to be played over 60 minutes, but clock is stopped for any stoppage.

So basically the ball is in play an average of 60 minutes. Wenger wants games to be played over 60 minutes, but clock is stopped for any stoppage.
We could have timeouts and unlimited substitutions as well, not to mention a designated penalty/free-kick taker who only enters the field of play to do those things!!

I don't think there's much support for it in Europe because the Euros are basically like a world cup, but I've seen countries from the likes of Africa and Asia whose continental competitions aren't as big as the euros supporting this idea
Hopefully it doesn't happen, every 4 years makes it a big event, if it was more often it'd take away from the spectacle of it and make winning it less meaningful, if it aint broke, don't fix it!

It won't happen for the reasons others have said, however it could work if it was run like an FA Cup. A first round to get rid of the real dross then a second round of 128 teams followed by a third round of 64. At this point the top 32 ranked countries would enter so a fourth and fifth rounds would leave 16 teams remaining who could play in a 3 week competition to decide the champions - as they used to. In the intervening seasons a similar thing could be done for the European Championships. It would at least rid us of the interminable qualifying competition.

I’m not a great fan of tinkering with things that have worked for years. Im not totally against it, though once every 4 years seems right, but it does leave 2 summers out of 4 with no international tournament and I’d like to see that void filled somehow.

I love the World Cup and particularly enjoy seeing the non- European nations compete.

Much prefer them to the Euros , though I agree getting a fair balance of teams from the continents vs allowing countries in that are inferior to those missing out is an issue.

It’s country before club every time for me. Playing for your country should be the pinnacle of your career, not being sat on Man City’s bench. Anything to take some power away from rich clubs has my support.

The main thing they need to do with the World Cup is scrap the expansion to 48 teams and changing it to 16 groups of 3, not least due to the massive wall chart that will be required!!

The extra 16 games compared to what we currently know will make it drag a bit I think.

I actually prefer the Euros these days. Though I must admit, I find it odd that Yugoslavia and Czecozlovakia never seem to qualify these days, whilst smaller nations such as Croatia and Serbia often do.
Bit crap for JustSport though, charging per letter on those shirts