PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Saul St Baths/Preston Greyhound Track/Old Farts Reminiscing

The Beachcomber rings a bell but I can’t remember where it was.
The 2 coffee bars I recall were the Schooner at the side of the public hall which I think is now a restaurant, and the Cedarwood in Winkley St, owned by a fella with a Volvo sports (with a glass back tailgate window) car a la The Saint with Roger Moore.

And the big mod meeting place was Vanity Fair records at the corner of Crystal House or The Exchange pub in Fox St.

It was here....Beachcomber – (Fishergate/Glovers Court (above Cleggs shop).

On the corner, opposite Booths.

In those days there were a lot of independent shops in it, Mothercare being one of the exceptions at the bottom of that picture i think - possibly the Gas Board as well.

None surpassed Zodiac toys though, absolutely loved that shop as a child. Going in there was a real treat when we had a little bit spare.

In 1967 I was a weekend bouncer there.

It was here....Beachcomber – (Fishergate/Glovers Court (above Cleggs shop).

On the corner, opposite Booths.
I remember The Who were billed as playing there. The gig was cancelled at the last minute, supposedly as Pete Townshend had a perforated ear drum.

Had they really been booked, or was it a similar scam to the one where The Small Faces were supposedly on at Leyland Public Hall one New Year's Eve? I was there and they kept coming up with excuses, such as fog on the motorway. That one went to court and the promoters' defence was that they had billed it as 'The Sound of the Small Faces', and they did play their records! Can't remember the outcome🙄

It is, wonderful, yet at the same time, truly awful place. some older supporters will remember that "Big plunge," being turned into a dance hall in the winter months.

4946737718_310c00ce8e_z.jpg

I also had the Post Office Christmas party for kids, relatives of postal workers. My uncle worked for Post Office Telephones, putting up the infrastructure. Myself and both my sisters always got an invite and the PO gave you a great present as well.

I also had the Post Office Christmas party for kids, relatives of postal workers. My uncle worked for Post Office Telephones, putting up the infrastructure. Myself and both my sisters always got an invite and the PO gave you a great present as well.
When I used to go, it was held at the North End supporters club. They were great affairs, can’t have cost an awful lot in the overall scheme of things and would have created a lot of goodwill.

When I used to go, it was held at the North End supporters club. They were great affairs, can’t have cost an awful lot in the overall scheme of things and would have created a lot of goodwill.
That shop sold some of our tickets for the Arsenal FA Cup tie.

Without starting a new thread, I've been looking for pictures of the old Withy Trees Mill that stood in the heart of Bamber Bridge, the only one I have so far is this one.

Screenshot_20211008-184301_Drive.jpg

The mill stood right upon Station Road where Morrisons the TSB Bank and surrounding shops stand now. It stretched back right up to the fences of the houses on Withy Grove Crescent/Road. Has anybody got anymore pictures of this great old mill?

Without starting a new thread, I've been looking for pictures of the old Withy Trees Mill that stood in the heart of Bamber Bridge, the only one I have so far is this one.

View attachment 4870

The mill stood right upon Station Road where Morrisons the TSB Bank and surrounding shops stand now. It stretched back right up to the fences of the houses on Withy Grove Crescent/Road. Has anybody got anymore pictures of this great old mill?

Found these on Leyland historical society
d354104b61f65814fa896c46d8c3ee0e

477b8e72205859893b5fd0a139b52f44

Last edited:
I’m led to believe it was either called Ingram and Tippings at some point or they took over the building. I found this photo on Facebook.

1633717534041.png