PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Sheffield United - 14/09/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Well deserved point. DJ was a class act tonight. He is so cool in possession, rarely gives the ball away, always finds a teammate and has improved a hell of a lot in his defensive duties.
I thought Earl had a good 70 mins before he faded. Likewise Maguire, the only thing missing was a goal. Still prefer him to Ched as we tend to just lump it to him.
Substitutions nearly cost us the point. Didn't understand the Potts substitution and the only good thing about it was it showed the management team he shouldn't be used up front again.
I personally would have took Whiteman off for McCann with 20mins left as he looked like he was flagging.
Apart from that whinge, the style of football for the last 4 games has been better than anything we have seen for 2 years.
Final note, loved the footage of the little lad in a black tracky on the pitch celebrating with the players. He's going to be famous at school tomorrow.
Some good points….however I would say that when Potts came on we went with one up front and the team shape completely changed. It was almost like an Alex Neil moment….Frankie was trying to shore things up and take the point, I suppose it worked in the end!

Some good points….however I would say that when Potts came on we went with one up front and the team shape completely changed. It was almost like an Alex Neil moment….Frankie was trying to shore things up and take the point, I suppose it worked in the end!
I agree but didn't want to sound to harsh and say Potts shouldn't be any where near getting any game time right now

The bulk of the criticism seems to be aimed at the decision to bring Potts on. I'm not defending the decision, but I can see why FM made it, rather than bringing Murphy on at that time. If Evans were fit, or Wickham up to match fitness, one of them would have been on ahead of Potts (and probably even have started). The fact that FM he had to bring on a midfielder as a makeshift striker, to hold the ball up, shows the paucity of his options at the moment.
Browne would have been a much better option... holds the ball better ... and not scared of making a tackle

I agree but didn't want to sound to harsh and say Potts shouldn't be any where near getting any game time right now

Knives are out as usual for a scape goat.

He’s our player and the manager decided to bring him on and change the system, he didn’t do anything wrong when he came on.

I’m ok with Potts, he gives us something different and he has an eye for goal.

I suspect at that point FM must have thought our lads had worked their socks off, were a bit unfortunate not to be in front and considering his lack of real firepower on the bench at the moment felt that fresh legs were needed and a draw would be a decent result.

I suspect at that point FM must have thought our lads had worked their socks off, were a bit unfortunate not to be in front and considering his lack of real firepower on the bench at the moment felt that fresh legs were needed and a draw would be a decent result.
I think that was exactly what he was thinking but we effectively went back into a 5-4-1 and it almost backfired.

But even so, Potts... He does the same to our gameplan as he does to car bonnets!

To those of you commenting on the ‘Blackpool Blades’ flag earlier - that was my brother-in-laws lol.

Took his Mrs with him tonight - who is a Blackpool fan!

All banter aside, he’s said he thinks it’s disgusting that our fans have been charged £33 and that we should be charging them the same when they come to ours.

He also said that we played some good stuff and fully deserved what we got. It could have gone anyway and thinks we will do fine this season. Not saying it in a patronising way, just an open and honest view.

To be fair, I'm only kidding really.

I actually like that people feel they can voice an opinion ... and it would be a dull forum if people held back because they felt they'd be attacked if they wrote down something they think. OK... at the time, some of the negativity (IMO) makes my blood pressure rise a bit, but it's (almost always) good really.
I do have limits though.
I agree. It’s about passion as the game is being played. Bloody hell I would be arrested (or sectioned) if folk heard what I shout at the telly during the match. My husband thinks I’m barmy I'm way more vocal than him and if I wrote on this thread what I shouted I would be banned from the forum. I just can’t help how I feel during the match (much more so in my own home) I have to tone it down in public though!🤗

Knives are out as usual for a scape goat.

He’s our player and the manager decided to bring him on and change the system, he didn’t do anything wrong when he came on.

I’m ok with Potts, he gives us something different and he has an eye for goal.
Disagree about Potts, he didn't look fit enough when he came on when it was fresh legs we needed to see out the game. He was left for dead at least 2 times and didn't press or close down the opposition. Not a natural forward so can be excused of not doing better when he got himself in a decent position.

Yes, I like Ernie but I would just qualify your statement by saying 'nowhere near getting any game time as a striker ever'. His header at the back post was woeful; whatever it is he's good at let him do that 👍.